Used Track Bike, What to look for? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used Track Bike, What to look for?

Pantich

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a track bike and found some interesting ones. I'm specifically looking at Ninja300s.

I'm considering either buying a race/track ready bike or a used street bike.

In case I go for the race bike what I should look for? They should still have a VIN even if don't have a license plate correct?
Also some of these bikes have been crashed and repaired, what should I look for to make sure the repairs are done properly?

Thanks

Look for obvious signs of serious damage like Frame cracks, head bearing, swingarm and fork damage.
Majority of track bikes will have some cosmetic damage.

...if you want to convert a street bike PM me. A buddy is looking to sell his 2015/16 ninja 300. I could put you in touch.

I'm a big fan of the lwt racers. That said, I don't think lwt bikes are the best choice to be looking at to do td's. Yes for racing; no for td's. You will be on the track with mostly 600's to 1000's. The speed differential is huge. At the least this will be somewhat problematic; at the worst, dangerous.

Buying a bike already track prep'd will provide the best bang for your buck. Most track bikes are sold with a bill of sale, but not always.

That said, I don't think lwt bikes are the best choice to be looking at to do td's. Yes for racing; no for td's. You will be on the track with mostly 600's to 1000's. The speed differential is huge. At the least this will be somewhat problematic; at the worst, dangerous.

Yes but no.

For someone starting to do track days.

They are far more a danger to themselves learning on a big bike.
They are less a danger to themselves on a small bike with only a small danger from others.

I'm a big fan of the lwt racers. That said, I don't think lwt bikes are the best choice to be looking at to do td's. Yes for racing; no for td's. You will be on the track with mostly 600's to 1000's. The speed differential is huge. At the least this will be somewhat problematic; at the worst, dangerous.

Buying a bike already track prep'd will provide the best bang for your buck. Most track bikes are sold with a bill of sale, but not always.

That is such a crock of *****.

A small bike will allow you to properly learn and hone skills like braking and corner speed. A bigger bike will let you learn how to ride improperly and cover it up by having HP.

A lightweight bike will be perfect to learn on. a 250 and 300 are very well capable of laping the Shannonville Pro track in the 118 to 120 times. Which is a hell of a lot faster than 90% of the the TD riders on 600s and 1000s.

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a track bike and found some interesting ones. I'm specifically looking at Ninja300s.

I'm considering either buying a race/track ready bike or a used street bike.

In case I go for the race bike what I should look for? They should still have a VIN even if don't have a license plate correct?
Also some of these bikes have been crashed and repaired, what should I look for to make sure the repairs are done properly?

Thanks

Much more cost and time efficient to buy one already set-up and prepped.

There are a handful for sale from the Shannonville lightweight racers. (Steve and Jacobs off the top of my head)
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasak...motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_77

All bikes should have a VIN. If it's been filed off, it's almost certainly stolen. You might be buying a "salvaged title" which could mean the cost to rebuild after a street accident exceeded the value of the bike...or could mean frame damage. My 300 race bike is a salvage title. It'll be listed on the "branded" section of the ownership papers. Might be a good idea to stay away from a salvage title if you're unfamiliar with what to look or not familiar with the seller.

Awesomr to start is on a small bike, so your head is in the right place! Come and do some track days at Shannonville with us and you'll be ready to race in no time. It's far more laid back that you'd think and best way to learn.

Us 250/300 guys are on the track for practice with big bikes at races. The difference is, I'd trust someone who races before some occasional track day guy in regards to making safe decisions.

A small bike will allow you to properly learn and hone skills like braking and corner speed. A bigger bike will let you learn how to ride improperly and cover it up by having HP.

A lightweight bike will be perfect to learn on. a 250 and 300 are very well capable of laping the Shannonville Pro track in the 118 to 120 times. Which is a hell of a lot faster than 90% of the the TD riders on 600s and 1000s.

A bit touchy, no? Perhaps you should re-read my post.

Trackdays are still fine on the 300's though. You run the same risk with other peoples choices regardless of what bike you're on.

Pantich, what area are you in? Post links/info in here when you zero in on a few bikes. If it's a bike is my side of Toronto, I'd come and give you a hand with second eyes. I'm sure there'd be others willing to do the same in toronto area.

But if it's an already prepped bike, chances are someone here will know the bike/owner/rough history anyway.

In regards to frame as well, they tend to bend most frequently around the footpeg mounts. They can be repaired but it will be noticeable if it has been welded and repaired.

Last edited:
A bit touchy, no? Perhaps you should re-read my post.

Not touchy at all.

But its loads of crap like that, which causes people to feel like they NEED a 600 minimum to go to the track. That they NEED to spend big money just to hit the track.

When all you need is a $2500 250, and a set of tires to go out and enjoy.

Obviously I am biased, but I know from experience that the difference between a crash on a 600 or up, and one on a lightweight bike is $1,000s.
I think that's something trackday people should consider. You learn more, spend less, and break less on a little bike.

tell us how you really feel...

OP - as others have said, buy something thats already set up, you will save LOTS

Obviously I am biased, but I know from experience that the difference between a crash on a 600 or up, and one on a lightweight bike is $1,000s.
I think that's something trackday people should consider. You learn more, spend less, and break less on a little bike.

idk about that, it all depends on the crash, i've gone down at T2 mosport going pretty fast and it was under $200, T3 at TMP was a $1500 crash on the same bike, then last year I went down at T4 TMP and it didn't cost a thing, i dont think its cc related, a 250 cartwheels just as easy as a 1000 when it goes in the grass the wrong way

I've only done 3 track days ever. All were on 600's in red group, as I had race experience. But I do recall shanny lwt racers on this forum expressing concern about being put out with lost era bikes (600-1000) during practice. Likewise, I can remember a lwt rider expressing concern about being passed at grand bend by bigger bikes who drove it up the inside on straights, only to park it in the corners. This essentially ruins the lwt riders pace. I would think this is somewhat problematic for someone on a lwt bike. The speed differential on straights is substantial, and concerning. Add in an inexperienced 1000 rider, and ..well, all bets are off lol. It seems to me that one may be better off on a bike similar to the vast majority of other riders. Its only an opinion so .. take it as that.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies guys, plenty of great suggestions!

After talking to some people and looking at availability of used N300 I'm more inclined to buy a street bike and take it to track.
I just feel more comfortable with a bike that has probably not been crashed hard and it's easier for me to recognize possible damages.

@Owen for sure I'll post it in here

Thanks for all your replies guys, plenty of great suggestions!

After talking to some people and looking at availability of used N300 I'm more inclined to buy a street bike and take it to track.
I just feel more comfortable with a bike that has probably not been crashed hard and it's easier for me to recognize possible damages.
@Owen for sure I'll post it in here

Ha! I think you and I might have been talking via SMS.
Fair point on the "not being crashed hard" - though on mine you'll find everything that got bent has been replaced.
If you do decide to opt for a properly prepped track bike, one of the guys here can probably help you go over mine. I've got pics of it fully stripped down too.

Ha! I think you and I might have been talking via SMS.
Fair point on the "not being crashed hard" - though on mine you'll find everything that got bent has been replaced.
If you do decide to opt for a properly prepped track bike, one of the guys here can probably help you go over mine. I've got pics of it fully stripped down too.
Yes, I though it was you...

Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't mind looking at the pictures. If you don't mind send me a PM

Back
Top Bottom