Fastest way to get an M License | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fastest way to get an M License

RacerX

Hi, so I was wondering what the fastest way to get an M license would be, I've researched the topic but getting conflicting info.

I already have a foreign license but it doesn't fall under an exchange program so I can get one year's experience for it.

Do I go the Drivetest route, or do I take a course like the one offered by Humber College and the like? Appreciate the advice, thanks.

I've been riding for 4 years and and capable of handling 1000cc sportbikes comfortably.

Last edited:
You're in luck...Ontario will let you get a 1000cc bike with an M1 if you really want, so no issues there.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but porting over your motorcycle license from another country isn't as straightforward as your car license. I think you have to go through the M1...M2...M process but that's what I was recently told by a guy in our office (50+ year old).

As for license....get M1 (written test) and get your M2 within 60-90 days of the M1 and you are set. Then at least 1 year to do your M license following the M2.

You can do the Humber course for the M2, but you can also get your M2 without it. However, you'll need your own bike at that stage.

Easy peasy.

You're in luck...Ontario will let you get a 1000cc bike with an M1 if you really want, so no issues there.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but porting over your motorcycle license from another country isn't as straightforward as your car license. I think you have to go through the M1...M2...M process but that's what I was recently told by a guy in our office (50+ year old).

As for license....get M1 (written test) and get your M2 within 60-90 days of the M1 and you are set. Then at least 1 year to do your M license following the M2.

You can do the Humber course for the M2, but you can also get your M2 without it. However, you'll need your own bike at that stage.

Easy peasy.

Thanks for the feedback, so there is no need for the course, it's just cheaper to take the tests separately at Drivetest and be done with it.
Now I've gotta find a place that rents bikes for the tests.

By the time you find somebody to rent you a bike, plus the cost of the test, and throwing the insurance discount out the window, not taking the course ends up costing alot more.

By the time you find somebody to rent you a bike, plus the cost of the test, and throwing the insurance discount out the window, not taking the course ends up costing alot more.
^^This.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Wasn't aware of the insurance discount, thanks for pointing it out.

Any recommended course that provides the bike then?

I took the course for M2. For M, I directly went to the ministry. Found an instructor on Kijiji who rented me a bike and gave a quick course right before the test. All in costed around $150 and I had the bike for almost 2 days. Totally worth it.

As for getting a 1000cc sport bike as your first bike in the GTA, you're SOL. Insurance won't let you, unless you're OK paying 6-10k a year on just insurance, and even for that you may need a full M license.

I've been in your shoes. Had almost 6 years of non canadian riding experience, but that doesn't mean anything in Canada unless it was in US, UK, Australia maybe? Started fresh with a 650cc sport touring bike for 2 years. And only now I was able to get a liter SS, by bundling house and car. Still not really cheap.

Note, if you take the M1 exit course, then you only need to wait 18 months after getting M2 to get your M, otherwise the wait is 22 months.

Last edited:
Wasn't aware of the insurance discount, thanks for pointing it out.

Any recommended course that provides the bike then?

I think all do? I went with RTI - Rider's Training Institute. You'll need to get your own, borrow, or rent the gear though.

With regards to insurance , you can ask your insurance provider from the country you resided in for a letter of experience.

Consult a broker to verify if it’s worth the effort.

Mto should be able to tell you the earliest you can test for the M.

Book it and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the course for M2. For M, I directly went to the ministry. Found an instructor on Kijiji who rented me a bike and gave a quick course right before the test. All in costed around $150 and I had the bike for almost 2 days. Totally worth it.

As for getting a 1000cc sport bike as your first bike in the GTA, you're SOL. Insurance won't let you, unless you're OK paying 6-10k a year on just insurance, and even for that you may need a full M license.

I've been in your shoes. Had almost 6 years of non canadian riding experience, but that doesn't mean anything in Canada unless it was in US, UK, Australia maybe? Started fresh with a 650cc sport touring bike for 2 years. And only now I was able to get a liter SS, by bundling house and car. Still not really cheap.

Note, if you take the M1 exit course, then you only need to wait 18 months after getting M2 to get your M, otherwise the wait is 22 months.

I think all do? I went with RTI - Rider's Training Institute. You'll need to get your own, borrow, or rent the gear though.

With regards to insurance , you can ask your insurance provider from the country you resided in for a letter of experience.

Consult a broker to verify if it’s worth the effort.

Mto should be able to tell you the earliest you can test for the M.

Book it and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the tips guys, will look into it.

So I take it a super sport (600cc) won't reduce insurance by much either?

Last edited:
One important thing to note is many insurance companies won't write you without having completed an approved training course.

I had a license lapse (M2 years ago; stopped riding; now returning); they told me EITHER take the course OR have a minimum of 3 years up to date riding experience.

Essentially given your situations; figure out what bike you want and start shopping insurance; no sense NOT doing the course if half or more of the companies out there will be unwilling to 1) recognize your experience and 2) write you without the course.

What you need is a time machine...
Go back to when you could write a test and get a"learners permit".
Ride on that, but not on a 400 series hwy or after dusk until you feel like you could pass a road test.
Book an appointment for said road test where you'll ride though some pylons, do a few basic maneuvers in the parking lot and then ride around the block while the examiner stands on the corner and watches you...
'Make it back alive and get a freshly minted M endorsement.
Oh the good ol' days...

If you do a motorcycle course, you will be given the paper work that allows you to walk into the MTO office and upgrade from M1 to M2 on the day it is valid.
It's a waiting game after that.

What you need is a time machine...
Go back to when you could write a test and get a"learners permit".
Ride on that, but not on a 400 series hwy or after dusk until you feel like you could pass a road test.
Book an appointment for said road test where you'll ride though some pylons, do a few basic maneuvers in the parking lot and then ride around the block while the examiner stands on the corner and watches you...
'Make it back alive and get a freshly minted M endorsement.
Oh the good ol' days...
Even better were the days when you could get an Ontario chauffeurs licence. I think they cost $20 bucks, I don't recall doing a test, and you could drive anything except a bus with passengers and a truck that required an air endorsement.

Even better were the days when you could get an Ontario chauffeurs licence. I think they cost $20 bucks, I don't recall doing a test, and you could drive anything except a bus with passengers and a truck that required an air endorsement.
omg :eek:ccasion6: you're old! I earned my M license on the day of my 16th. birthday 1971. There was no learner permit or training courses back then, just a piece of paper to say you could ride from home to the test site on the day of the test only, if you failed the test call a tow truck. Helmets were still optional at that time. omg now I feel old :|
I've had motorcycles and insurance continuously since then but I suspect taking a rider training course still might reduce my rates very slightly because they always ask if I've taken one. Should probably ask what the premium difference would be to determine if taking a course is worth the expense.

Awesome true story: My now decease mother-in-law never did a drivers test, the test dude was so drunk all he wanted her to do was to drive him to the beer store in the next town over, then he gave her a license. Amazing enough she was a pretty good driver too and never had a single accident.

Why the rush for the full M?

The only difference between the M2 and the M is a 0% blood alcohol content while riding. I don't believe there are any significant insurance discounts between M2 and M, at least not with the company I was insured with. And of course, no restriction on the kinds of motorcycles you can buy between M2 and M.

Maybe some dealerships won't let you test-ride a bigger bike without a full M. That's all I can think of.

You can get an M2 60 days after you pass your M1 written test.

Back
Top Bottom