Return of Ford Nation | Page 34 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Return of Ford Nation

TGA was just exercising her freedom of speech. Doug Ford showed he's an enemy of freedom like everyone else in government. Wait 'til he gets his hands on your money, boy...

TGA was just exercising her freedom of speech. Doug Ford showed he's an enemy of freedom like everyone else in government. Wait 'til he gets his hands on your money, boy...

I seriously doubt he can do worse then the current people reaching into my pockets.

As for exercising her rights, don't make me laugh.

Douggy is vowing to cut gas tax by 10 cents per litre but isn't saying how that will be funded. If he has half a brain, this will get pushed to a road tax at plate renewal (say one cent per km) as the correlation between fuel burned and usage of the roadways is diverging.

http://www.680news.com/2018/05/16/doug-ford-vows-cut-gas-prices-wont-say-revenue-replaced/
It's not a hard equation to figure out.

1) 4.4 cents comes from the Liberal's carbon tax (which will increase by a factor of 5 by, or about 0.22/l by 2022 at the cap squeezes). There is less than zero cost to this as it's a round trip tax.
2) Cap and Trade tax is a cost input for producers which adds another 1.3 cents to the price as producers cover the margin on their cost.
2) The province's un-foretasted windfall on provincial sales tax due to rising pump prices is 4 cents.

Add that up and your at 9.7cents today, probably over 10cents by the time the election is over. Since the cap'n trade is rountripped, the profit for gascos disappears as the cost no longer factors in their margin, and the winfall in sales taxes would not have been forcasted or allocated -- there is virtually no hit to gov't revenues (except for the unforcasted windfall which to many is just another tax grab). In kind of a bad way, it might also increase gov't revenues as consumption increases with a reduction in prices.

The bottom like is reducing gas prices by 10c/l can be done easily and without financial pain by by reducing carbon tax converting the sales tax to a volume based tax.

We have a Brampton former PC MP, now running for PC MPP here in Milton, he presents well but I feel he just wants a job and is smart enough to find one in easy pickings.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.

Now we have the Brampton East candidate and former employee of the 407ETR, being embroiled in a flap about personal information being taken form the 407 databases in order to find, and sign up people to the PC Party. He's out.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-...eft-with-407-etr-customers-reported-1.3825074

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-...idate-steps-down-amidst-allegations-1.3825154
Oh the sky is falling. Everybody at Canada post & FedEx has my mailing address & full name

Oh the sky is falling. Everybody at Canada post & FedEx has my mailing address & full name

And if this had been a Liberal candidate, your response would have been otherwise. This is breach of trust and it would be if a FedEx or Canada Post employee had done the same.

Not a great loss.

If he'd been smart he would have created a "Where do you fit in the Ontario Voter Landscape?" app, and just scraped the data from there.

Not a great loss.

If he'd been smart he would have created a "Where do you fit in the Ontario Voter Landscape?" app, and just scraped the data from there.

Not a great loss.

Are you referring to the survey that didn't require any personal information or require any sign in from a SM account?

I guess you're right. You gotta be real smart to scrape data that doesn't exist.

A good litmus test to apply, for us to learn more about our own biases. What if it had been the other party?
PC and NDP mete out discipline quickly. Liberals look for cover, then wait and hope things never metastasize into a scandal. If he/she does get outed, Liberals wait until scandal pressures to roast their guy then they eat them alive.

Chris Mazza
Dalton McGinty
Chris Bentley
David Livingston
Laura Miller

So I was wondering what the faithful had to say about this....

Ontario PC party was not left in a mess, writes Patrick Brown

By Patrick BrownOpinion
6-7 minutes

There has been a great deal of attention recently about the inner workings of the Ontario PC Party and the state I left the party in. Party leader Doug Ford recently told the media to ask Patrick Brown about “the mess” he inherited. I am pleased to answer that question.
When Ford said that he inherited a mess as party leader, he is very much mistaken. He inherited a party with a 20 point lead in numerous public opinion polls, the largest membership in our party history, the most money ever in our coffers, a great slate of candidates and a policy platform that was the best received in modern memory for our party. We were well on our way to recreating the Big Blue Machine of the Bill Davis era. Moderate. Inclusive. Pragmatic. Progressive. That’s no mess.

img_6196.jpg

Then-Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown, left, talks to his political hero former Ontario Premier Bill Davis. (Tavis Nembhard)
When I won the Ontario PC leadership in May of 2015, by the largest margin in the party’s history, I inherited a party that was on the verge of financial bankruptcy. We were $7 million in debt and held the worst balance sheet of all the political parties in Ontario.
Under the capable leadership of Tony Miele and our PC Ontario Fund Board we raised record amounts. In 2016, over a period of six months, I spoke at 234 fundraising dinners and lunches. We raised $16 million that year, a record for any given year in Ontario politics. Fast forward to January 2018, when I was forced out as PC leader, we had $4 million in the war chest, had pre-paid key election expenses and had the best balance sheet of all the political parties in Ontario.
We also witnessed record membership growth. When I announced my intention to run for the Ontario PC leadership on the fall of 2014, we had 12,000 party members, the smallest of all Ontario political parties. We were disproportionately white, rural and old.

By the time I left as leader, we had a membership, which was either 136,000 according to Vic Fedeli or over 200,000 according to Thomas De Groot of the PC Party Party Executive and IT Chair. Either way it was the largest in the party’s history and the largest of any party in Ontario. Even more remarkable, we had become diverse, multicultural, urban, young and finally reflective of the beautiful mosaic that is Ontario.
We built a policy platform — the People’s Guarantee, which was praised across the province and in a Toronto Star editorial. Our policy co-chairs Kaydee Richmond and Kevin Gaudet poured their hearts and souls into this document. It was a home run and a culmination of two years of hard work by the grassroots of our party. What a contrast from some of the past platform launches that had failed miserably, such as faith-based funding in 2007, chain gangs in 2011 or 100,000 job cuts in 2014.
Our platform pushed mental health into the mainstream of Ontario political debate and now all three parties have adopted the funding commitments we made in the People’s Guarantee. Excluding sections on the environment, many parts of the document have been adopted by Doug Ford. I am proud this document has lived beyond my time as leader.
We became the first party to have third party oversight and we even hired private security to attend the particularly contentious nominations. While our nominations certainly became controversial, this was a result of having more candidates interested in running for our party than ever before. When we won by-elections in the Liberal strongholds of Scarborough Rouge River and Sault Ste Marie, it set off an avalanche of interest in becoming a PC Party candidate. We were not prepared as a party for the lengths people would go to win nominations. We had to shut down attempts to print fake ballots, produce fake ID’s, stop fistfights and even the stuffing of ballot boxes. I was beyond frustrated to hear these ongoing stories.
We took steps to ensure these nominations were run fairly and free from abuse. I personally ordered the party to bring in PWC to observe and certify our nominations. I have been as shocked as anyone else to hear about allegations that a candidate stole private 407 data. In retrospect, I am increasingly of the opinion political parties are ill equipped to handle nominations and that it is time to have Elections Ontario manage this part of our democratic process.

Hopefully, the next Parliament can consider this.
Ford said he inherited 90 candidates from me and he wasn’t involved in their vetting. He should sleep easy that he was handed a strong slate of candidates and an impressive potential cabinet. During my leadership, we managed to recruit the most women and visible minority candidates in our party’s history.

Look at Peter Bethlenfalvy in Pickering who ran the credit rating agency DBRS, Rod Philips who ran the OLG, former broadcaster and Hamilton city councillor Donna Skelly, former hockey star Troy Crowder in Sudbury, former Natural Resources Minister Greg Rickford in Kenora, Caroline Mulroney, Bay Street lawyer and Brampton South candidate, Prab Sarkaria, Logan Kanapathi in Markham, who is set to be the first Tamil MPP in Ontario’s history, Angely Pacis, the candidate who won in Mississauga Centre who speaks five languages and was set to be the first Filipino Canadian MPP in our province’s history.
My political role model was former Premier Bill Davis. His cabinets were strong and qualified. He always stressed the importance of having a strong team. We were well on our way to recreating the Big Blue Machine of the great Bill Davis that would have governed as a fiscally conservative, moderate, inclusive, pragmatic and progressive party. That’s no mess.
Patrick Brown is the former leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

If you wonder what Brown means when he says the PC nominations are "controversial" and need fixing, this is what he means:

Doug Ford accused of buying memberships to help preferred candidate win Tory nomination

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/doug-ford-accused-of-buying-memberships-to-help-preferred-candidate-win-tory-nomination

If you wonder why Ford thought this candidate was worth spending thousands of dollars to buy members for, and hundreds more to bus them in to vote, you might notice she has a certain resemblance to his wife, but younger.

Back
Top Bottom