House of Commons petition on folding knives | GTAMotorcycle.com

House of Commons petition on folding knives

Roadghost

The CBSA has changed its position on what knives constitute a prohibited weapon. Until recently, knives with a thumb stud on the handle, more commonly known as "Assisted Open Knives" were legal to import into Canada. The CBSA has decided to change their interpretation of the law. An MP in the House of Commons has sponsored a petition demanding the decision be reversed. Please sign the petition if you want to be able to purchase these knives.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-1552

Background:

The assisted-open knives are now being classified the same way switchblades are. The hypocrisy of the switchblade law seems ridiculous in a world where push-up box cutters are available at every hardware store. Assisted open knives are convenient to use at work, camping, at the side of the road fixing your motorcycle etc. because they can be opened with one hand. The current interpretation of the law is just another example of the way Canadian freedoms are being unnecessarily eroded by the bureaucracy.

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/le...a-decision-affecting-sales-of-folding-knives/

https://morethanjustsurviving.com/canada-bans-folding-knives/

Last edited:
I thought they were still legal as long as you couldn’t flick the blade out using a hand motion. There’s usually a tensioner screw on these, what you do with it is up to you.

I thought they were still legal as long as you couldn’t flick the blade out using a hand motion. There’s usually a tensioner screw on these, what you do with it is up to you.
This was my thought since I was a kid. But reading a little further it seems to extend to more than that. My DeWalt knife may fall under these rules...as may every one of my OLFA knives. This is talking about folding knives but *could* overlap into any one handed opening knife.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

The petition appears to only apply to import laws, no? We can build stuff here and get around import restrictions, the US does crap like that just to promote domestic manufacturing all the time.
:I have no problem with the feds messing with blade import laws just as long as I'm still allowed to open carry my Swiss army knife and my sword.

a thread about knives
2 stories from Alberta, lol

not gonna get much outrage in Ontario about this

and when I see this ignorance embedded in the story
it's easy to dismiss as pure rubbish

[FONT=&quot]This was released 5 days ago in Ottawa,
a city created out of nothingness to keep politicians
out of cities where normal people actually live[/FONT]

a thread about knives 2 stories from Alberta, lol not gonna get much outrage in Ontario about this and when I see this ignorance embedded in the story it's easy to dismiss as pure rubbish [FONT=&quot]This was released 5 days ago in Ottawa, a city created out of nothingness to keep politicians out of cities where normal people actually live[/FONT]
I kinda like it, it rings better than "The city that FUN forgot!" Is the Government going to start a knife registry now?

These assisted open knives are carried by some EMS and fire fighters since they are just handy when one hand is occupied with something else. Does our parliament not have more important stuff to get on with?

My guess would be a really large percentage of MP's , senators and the rest only envision these as tools for gangsters, not electricians on a ladder.

come on,
liquored uni students
skating on the frozen Rideau?
no fun??

Get back to me when we have to change the name to Rideau, like across the river in "Gatineau".

These assisted open knives are carried by some EMS and fire fighters since they are just handy when one hand is occupied with something else. Does our parliament not have more important stuff to get on with?

My guess would be a really large percentage of MP's , senators and the rest only envision these as tools for gangsters, not electricians on a ladder.

Cubs and Boy Scouts use them to carve their Derby racers etc.

Is blatant discrimination against people that have only one arm and no teeth.

Speaking of Ottawa, did you know: Sir John A. MacDonald wanted to make Newburgh Ontario (aka Rogues Hollow) the location for Canada's capital. Although speculation has it he was slightly drunk at the time.

a thread about knives
2 stories from Alberta, lol

not gonna get much outrage in Ontario about this

and when I see this ignorance embedded in the story
it's easy to dismiss as pure rubbish

This was released 5 days ago in Ottawa,
a city created out of nothingness to keep politicians
out of cities where normal people actually live

Most signatures on the petition are from Ontario. Over 5300 so far.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1552

"They are calling them "centrifugal knives"

Now Trudeau will have to make a world tour with his family to discuss centrifugal with world leaders. Then a Royal Commission followed by a new department of cenrifugality with a Minister of Centifugality.

If I could grip the blade of my Swiss Army TOOL hard enough (Vise grips?) I could probably swing the rest of the kit away exposing the blade.

I have a heavy duty box cutter that could do as much damage in a fight as any "Flick" knife. I have no experience in the matter as all of my knives are TOOLS, not weapons.

Uhh, how about more effort on illegal firearms coming in?

Pencils :rolleyes: Very dangerous!
They need to get right on it and outlaw those too.
[video=youtube_share;aDy2A2IbanA]https://youtu.be/aDy2A2IbanA[/video]
Too easy to turn them into automatic weapons.

What about these?
Schrade-Mini-Push-Dagger-Black-Serr-SCHF50-BHQ-62031-jr.jpg

illegal push knife, no?

9. Any knife commonly known as a;push-dagger&; that is designed in such a fashion that the handle is placed perpendicular to the main cutting edge of the blade and any other similar device other than the aboriginal &;ulu&; knife.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom