Narrow touring ride?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Narrow touring ride??

timtune

Site Supporter
I posted this in the general forum but maybe it should be here too.
I'm struggling with some mild arthritis in my hips. My problem, though, is the ability to spread my knees. Sold my 1200 gold wing because it was getting too wide. I have no problem with my KLR650 because it's so narrow.
I'm searching (in vain??) for a new bike the Squeeze and I can tour on. A lot of bikes seam to widen forward of the seat. The tank is narrow at the front of seat and then gets wider - right where my knees want to be. (bikes such as ST1100, Concours, Triump Tiger, BMW GS1150, CBF1000, DL650, DL1000, and most newer cruisers with wide tanks have all been too wide)
Since I want close to a full liter bike my last resort may be an old Virago 920. Havn't sat on one yet but I think there is a good chance. Will be trying an older FJ1200 this weekend but not holding out much hope. Any suggestions for a narrow ride??

I would suggest you try out the BMW F800 series bikes. The series includes naked and full touring fairing versions. Around 90hp and 3 different seat heights available. Parillaguy

Maybe an older 1000 cc Goldwing.

The versys 1000 is fairly slender and is a great two up or solo ride.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

BMW F800 looks like it would not be too comfy for the passenger
CBF1000 - how much more knee space with the silver plastic covers removed?
All the wings are too wide.
Versys didn't fit.

You may actually need to look at a maxi scooter. Doesn't sound like your hips can handle a bike at all.

Put lots of miles on my KLR last summer, including a week long trip with 800km days no problem. Just need to find the right machine.

I have a 76 GL1000, -- they are wide, tall and heavy. Then your hips start going, it's time to lighten up the bike and cut the seat height a bit.

I notice you are ignoring the Burgman 650 - I'd suggest you put any prejudices aside and explore it as an option.

It is loaded with creature comforts

burgman.JPG

110 liters of storage when you add a 50 litre top box - it's a quick bike despite its size and does not lack in the twists. Great lights and brakes. Just about as good a weather protection as you can get. With the heated grips I did 3 hours at 12 degrees and summer gloves in the rain getting down to Virginia.
So so suspension but then you have the KLR for the bumpy stuff.
I put 100K km on two of them with lots of 3-4 day touring down through the US etc.

Full cross country two up ???? Not ideal tho couples do it. Long weekends and running errands - nothing better - the storage is so easy ...4 big grocery bags even without the top case.

Last edited:
He said that he wants a bike "close to a liter bike".Nowhere did he mention a scooter.Hope we don't start this again.

The non touring versions of the KTM adventures have smaller tanks so you’re not as splayed out. There’s a difference in the factory OEM saddle vs the optional KTM powerparts one too and I think the OEM one is narrower at the front.

He's got a KLR , BMW 800 hardly a "litre" bike, He has hip problems....it's a good solution and not just my view. They call the 650 Burgman Exec the little Wing for good reason.
....how about you stick to what you know about WB. :rolleyes:

••••••

TT

BMW F800 looks like it would not be too comfy for the passenger
CBF1000 - how much more knee space with the silver plastic covers removed?

If you haven't bought, come over when I get back around the 24th and we can try it. Didn't even realize they were covers.
BTW what's your inseam ?

If you can handle the KLR seat height I'm wondering if the CBF might be a bit on the small side.
The one time I tried a BMW 1100 I found the tank wide and hard on my hips tho it handled very well. Lovely suspension.

I notice you are ignoring the Burgman 650 - I'd suggest you put any prejudices aside and explore it as an option.

It is loaded with creature comforts 110 liters of storage when you add a 50 litre top box - it's a quick bike despite its size and does not lack in the twists. Great lights and brakes. Just about as good a weather protection as you can get. With the heated grips I did 3 hours at 12 degrees and summer gloves in the rain getting down to Virginia.
So so suspension but then you have the KLR for the bumpy stuff.
I put 100K km on two of them with lots of 3-4 day touring down through the US etc.

Full cross country two up ???? Not ideal tho couples do it. Long weekends and running errands - nothing better - the storage is so easy ...4 big grocery bags even without the top case.
I'm with you, this is a great performing bike...but... It's just a little too metro for me, kinda like a moped when your in high school - fun to ride when your buddies aren't looking.

Maybe one of the new Honda ADV-X
http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/x-adv/overview.html
c3.jpg

Burgman's on the list, just in last spot.
Loaded up, 2 up, headed up a mountain side or heading down the on ramp 650 maybe a bit small for my liking.

That Honda ADV-X is hidious. It looks like a cross between a Pacific Coast, a Burgman and a Transformer not to mention not much of a seat for the better half.
That's the other half of the problem. A lot of bikes that are a possibility for me don't work for her. I can ride a Bandit 1250 no problem but not much in back for her.

I'm with you, this is a great performing bike...but... It's just a little too metro for me, kinda like a moped when your in high school - fun to ride when your buddies aren't looking.

Maybe one of the new Honda ADV-X
http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/x-adv/overview.html
c3.jpg
I love that x-adv! I've seen some really cool videos of them, if I were in the market for a scoot this would be it.
The owner of Eastern Beaver traded his Africa twin in for the x adv and he raves about it. He has done some great videos and reviews with it.
But on topic, two up touring xadv is probably a no go.

Not sure about the comfort level 2up but, a Buell Ully might be worth a look.

Pretty sure they have some after market seat options with a back rest that would help in the comfort area.

Power train is standard HD so parts availability should be ok. Maybe some other things could be harder to find but, I’ve got an old S3 and don’t have a problem.

Great sound, decent performance.

My wife doesn’t like being on the back but, not because it’s uncomfortable. I tend to ride it quickly and it’s seating position is higher than a cruiser and she gets a little nervous when leaned over.

And I might get the front wheel to float in the air occasionally while hoping she doesn’t notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is pretty limiting if you need real comfort for the passenger especially coming from a goldwing. You will just have to accept your are never going to get her anything near as comfortable as that. I would say look at scooters as well, there are some larger ones, the Burgman as MacDoc recommended. Aprilia has an 850 scooter, it was the biggest I saw when searching for large scooters

http://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/scooters/srv/SRV-850-abs-atc/

No idea about quality, just that it is the biggest CC scooter out there as far as I saw. Ultimately you will just need to hit the pavement and stop in every bike store out there and sit on every model that catches your eyes and even those that don't as you may be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom