Narrow touring bike bike for old hips?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Narrow touring bike bike for old hips??

It's not just me - it has to be a comfy ride for the Squeeze. Can you imagine doing 800kms on the back of the Multistrada?

I actually fit good on a Bandit 1250 but it wasn't a practical perch for her.
If the bandit fits you, that might be a good buy. They are about 1/2 the price of the big name STs, and you can get a decent aftermarket 2up backrest from Corbin or Sargent. I've seen late model (2008 and newer) Bandits with less than 30K for less than $3200.

It's not just me - it has to be a comfy ride for the Squeeze. Can you imagine doing 800kms on the back of the Multistrada?

Actually, yes, I can. The stock seat might not be practical, but have a look at the one from Corbin then - nice and plush with an optional back rest.
Lots of power available, can adjust the suspension on the fly etc. Can make it a super cushy ride if you want.

I'd say you likely want to consider a third party seat on just about anything to choose bbu depends on the length of the trips involved.

I did 200km on a Multistrata last summer, I felt like I was riding atop a tower! The fee really tall, and that pillion is another 8" above the rider. Methinks that bike might feel a little tippy with a passenger and a bit of luggage.

Maybe an F800ST with a custom Corbin seat? Narrow up front for yourself and you can have a comfy pillion for the missus.

A Bandit with a third party seat might just be the ticket ....top case with a backrest might be all that's needed.

If you like the Bandit position. They also seem well priced.

http://cycle-ergo.com

compare others on that site.

Bandit fit me but she wasn't happy on the back. Not much rear seat, pegs too high and the deal breaker that she sits higher than me and will get too much buffeting. She complains of headaches when she's getting too much wind.

Tried a V65 Sabre over the weekend, thot the twin width would be good. It was close but I just wasn't happy.

I'll be home from Hawaii on Friday ...you can check out the CBF1000 without the plastic covers if you like. Just email me
Also ....the seat has three different heights so I would guess that might affect the feel on the hips.
I detested the ST1100 for being too wide but the CBF has given me no issue.

I'll be home from Hawaii on Friday ...you can check out the CBF1000 without the plastic covers if you like. Just email me
Also ....the seat has three different heights so I would guess that might affect the feel on the hips.
I detested the ST1100 for being too wide but the CBF has given me no issue.

I'm just west of Stratford. If you could pop the covers off and see if there is any space behind them - I doubt it though, the Japanese arn't big in this game because they waste space. I'd need about 1/2" more each side.
Thanks
I

It's a shame Polaris pulled the plug on them, because my woman always liked the Victory cruisers for the simple reason of the narrow tanks and seats (the passenger seats on the baggers and touring models are pretty comfy too....according to her). The bikes being fairly nimble and fun to ride is icing on the cake. She has the same complaint you mention with most bikes; spreading her knees around tanks hurt her hips and joints if she did it for very long. So, if you're not opposed to owning a bike the manufacturer is in the middle of discontinuing, I'd recommend tossing a leg over a Victory and giving it a try.

Honda Interstate or Stateline has a narrow tank but you would need to put a custom seat on it.

My hips are a bit sore from riding this week just being out of practice after an unusually long layoff.

That's one concern I have about you trying bikes as if you haven't been riding then we get tight until the muscles/tendons stretch a bit.
I've been riding tight to the tank on my short rides just to get stretched.
I'll try and look today.

There is a wicked good deal on a 2008 with full luggage in Woodstock $3700 certified.
That's a third party windscreen as well I think.
Just get a Shad top case with backrest.

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...ed/1348683170?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I just set mine up with the Shad

09uqt7xlrf8Ok8sItFd249oS2LlGw49JiRVSL-lNM5nnsXUuNmEBSODqQNuTY26Y2vdDz5lU1jmR3DbJBZIrSxSbID0KWnYjGuAWiBQVkQOe317AhNnMpa8xjPKHu5LYroOfjZYZaurLv-HMHDoMAuh1P-UtHgUjT0Td0sxdKnUgKKI2b_5fHOFwf4mYf8aoz-4WkUN1ItYtiUrQ9XUUXA5Jr8PmbdwunJFkdwlsIVtzb3hfZTUDHY6DNgpAFgU5BnAvp6-fa4H3mWEZ1osc0Zk_BJZ3vPvoaMXALtUyl8cqW9U4DraD_oY4urYylB_-R8wo_zgw3Xg37It5rneMmbyVikb1-yoHVShwFcs3P0e0kkLBcAiG38JUUtQ-NPBP0FT7OwQY9QXEXRl38lVfcEwChcghBVVmkFbtdyg6Xk9z-GaDVXjJdphjwCqi5h1CbBIJjGjr5h_iirHouPVWQKib-JZy7liBSgPN3z474jLvtTDnLuCv7tYrmyDgZzv-Jng0UcJDpnh5KOjPShJUOYX5CWnSGnDJXOeVeq8qFXWPTOKUXsAj4l3d7dq4fCyCiJCZk0LwsO9kAEGR5dZZH8N0NjxPgRzSZrcoTO8-=w1082-h792-no

Last edited:
I'm struggling with some mild arthritis in my hips. My problem, though, is the ability to spread my knees. Sold my 1200 gold wing because it was getting too wide. I have no problem with my KLR650 because it's so narrow.
I'm searching (in vain??) for a new bike the Squeeze and I can tour on. A lot of bikes seam to widen forward of the seat. The tank is narrow at the front of seat and then gets wider - right where my knees want to be. (bikes such as ST1100, Concours, Triump Tiger, BMW GS1150, CBF1000, DL650, DL1000, and most newer cruisers with wide tanks have all been too wide)
Since I want close to a full liter bike my last resort may be an old Virago 920. Havn't sat on one yet but I think there is a good chance. Will be trying an older FJ1200 and maybe a GS850 this weekend but not holding out much hope. Any suggestions for a narrow ride??

Aside from finding a bike that is comfortable it sounds like you need to stretch out your hip flexors and get the hips opening up as well as stretching the posterior chain. Improvements in posture and mobility could help a lot down the road

Aside from finding a bike that is comfortable it sounds like you need to stretch out your hip flexors and get the hips opening up as well as stretching the posterior chain. Improvements in posture and mobility could help a lot down the road

If your hip flexors are that tight and you have trouble opening the hips it’s likely you’ve got an anterior pelvic tilt which may be causing improper movement in the hips and might be aggravating the arthritis or may even be the root cause of it

Back
Top Bottom