Narrow touring bike bike for old hips?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Narrow touring bike bike for old hips??

timtune

Site Supporter
I'm struggling with some mild arthritis in my hips. My problem, though, is the ability to spread my knees. Sold my 1200 gold wing because it was getting too wide. I have no problem with my KLR650 because it's so narrow.
I'm searching (in vain??) for a new bike the Squeeze and I can tour on. A lot of bikes seam to widen forward of the seat. The tank is narrow at the front of seat and then gets wider - right where my knees want to be. (bikes such as ST1100, Concours, Triump Tiger, BMW GS1150, CBF1000, DL650, DL1000, and most newer cruisers with wide tanks have all been too wide)
Since I want close to a full liter bike my last resort may be an old Virago 920. Havn't sat on one yet but I think there is a good chance. Will be trying an older FJ1200 and maybe a GS850 this weekend but not holding out much hope. Any suggestions for a narrow ride??

Adventure tourers should be the segment you're looking at I would think.

Tiger800, FJ-09, Vstroms.

That'd be my recommendation for comfort 2-up and narrow width

If it's just the seat customs are available. The problem there is the expense, hoping it will be OK.

If the problem is the tank again customs are sometimes workable but at what point do you end up building a custom bike?

An adventure tour bike is my first choice sadly a lot of the ADV touring bikes have the the tank that gets super wide in front of the seat. And a lot of bikes now have frame rails or other stuff in the way too. I tried the Tiger 1050 maybe the 800 is narrow enough. The Stroms have a seat that gave me problems.
I'm at the point where if I can find a bike where my knees are hitting a simple metal gas tank I'll buy it and hammer in my own indents to make it work - way past looks at this point.

;) one of those giant scooters like the 650 Burgman might work for you, rumour has it you can even wear a skirt riding one of those.

If you're talking a Suzuki GS850, they are regarded as one of the best and most comfortable all around bikes of all time. Except they're all really old by now, which comes with its own set of issues.

vtwins tend to be narrow
but not the ADV variants
the large tank is usually wide at the top
must be something fits you
upright ergos
narrow seat and tank
litre size
gonna think on it

yeah
cruiser is the first thing comes to mind
I've seen some Bolts setup for touring

Take a look at the Honda Africa Twin. Saw one at a ride and it looked relatively narrow at the tank, no shaft drive though. The Honda 1200x might work as well. If you like a retro look or bike the Triumph twins. Sat on a Thruxton and it felt minuscule compared to the size and weight of my ST.

what about FZ1?
Could find one with way more life
left in it than an old FJR1200

it's an I4 but fairly narrow
and kits up well for touring
plenty of capacity for 2 up

one of those giant scooters like the 650 Burgman might work for you, rumour has it you can even wear a skirt riding one of those.

Yep - and easy on achy hands too... mosey over to http://burgmanusa.com and chat with hundreds with similar situation.

Lots tour two up as the ECVT makes the modest horsepower go much further.

CBF1000 is a maybe for you but tight for two up ....loads of power and while I found the ST1100 unbearable my CBF is fine on the hips.
I noticed you mentioned it but have you actually been on one?

I'm struggling with some mild arthritis in my hips. My problem, though, is the ability to spread my knees. Sold my 1200 gold wing because it was getting too wide. I have no problem with my KLR650 because it's so narrow.
I'm searching (in vain??) for a new bike the Squeeze and I can tour on. A lot of bikes seam to widen forward of the seat. The tank is narrow at the front of seat and then gets wider - right where my knees want to be. (bikes such as ST1100, Concours, Triump Tiger, BMW GS1150, CBF1000, DL650, DL1000, and most newer cruisers with wide tanks have all been too wide)
Since I want close to a full liter bike my last resort may be an old Virago 920. Haven't sat on one yet but I think there is a good chance. Will be trying an older FJ1200 and maybe a GS850 this weekend but not holding out much hope. Any suggestions for a narrow ride??
I have a little problem with arthritis too, hands and hips. I ride an FJR and an XV920R, both are comfortable. On the FJR, your knees are below the tank, and the pegs are back in a relaxed riding position. The 902R is similar riding position, its seat is narrower and less comfortable on journeys (and it's 36 years old).

Africa twin didn't fit.
FZ1 doesn't have much of a perch for the pillion rider on the long haul.
CBF1000 was close but the plastic "frame rail" covers were in the way.
Didn't like the Bolt for the same reasons I'm not an HD fan - riding position and power delivery.

The xv920R intrigues me. Wasn't aware of it. A less cruiser version of the virago.

The xv920R intrigues me. Wasn't aware of it. A less cruiser version of the virago.
It is a very cool bike, designed to bring Yamaha a little closer to BMW in the early 80s. The Vtwin makes it about as narrow as it gets. They pump out nearly 70hp and 60lbs of torque which doesn't sound like much by sportbike standards, however it's comparable to a Bolt and other midweight STs. It's old school, you need to know & appreciate the ride and handling of a 70's era bike to understand how good this bike was in it's day.

They are getting scarce (and pricey) as they are coveted by cafe builders. They do pop up occasionally on Ebay and Kijiji, you can still find decent bikes for lesss than $2500.

I have a little problem with arthritis too, hands and hips. I ride an FJR and an XV920R, both are comfortable. On the FJR, your knees are below the tank, and the pegs are back in a relaxed riding position. The 902R is similar riding position, its seat is narrower and less comfortable on journeys (and it's 36 years old).

Just bobbling things around in my mind but back set controls could minimize tank contact. Forward controls are a dime a dozen, back controls not so much. How well do you and the Mrs. coordinate?

Watch the hands. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVitgDEh_tw

Couldn't you have just pulled the sides off of the "gas tank" on the GL1200?

Couldn't you have just pulled the sides off of the "gas tank" on the GL1200?
That's won't make the footpegs closer. The only wat to get a slim fit is a Vtwin or a standard with mid or rear sets. Some STs are narrow, FJR, Multistrata, Triumph, small BMWs, as are most adventure bikes. If you like the KLR, you might find a DL650/1000 to be close.

Just answered this one in the cruising section too. The non-Touring versions of the KTM adventure bikes have smaller tanks and should be narrower.

MadMike mentioned a bike earlier which has received no comment.

Ducati Multistrada.
I've ridden one, and it's a great bike. It's narrow, and has a ton of power. You can get the "Skyhook" suspension - self adjusting according to load range the rider sets. There are now 2 engine sizes available as well.

If you don't like that, maybe a KTM Superduke GT? Another v-twin, so it's somewhat narrow.

It's not just me - it has to be a comfy ride for the Squeeze. Can you imagine doing 800kms on the back of the Multistrada?

I actually fit good on a Bandit 1250 but it wasn't a practical perch for her.

Back
Top Bottom