Aftermarket ABS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aftermarket ABS?

I can't seem to find any aftermarket abs systems. Do they even sell a kit?

Not that I’ve ever heard of. It’s a system that needs to be integrated with a vehicle in far too many places for anything aftermarket to be viable.

Not that I’ve ever heard of. It’s a system that needs to be integrated with a vehicle in far too many places for anything aftermarket to be viable.
There are none. ABS is carefully engineered to match the bike, I think most bike makers toll up so you can't even transplant systems to similar bikes in their lineup.

If you need ABS, find a bike that already has it.

I've seen aftermarket tits, but never abs.

theoretically it's possible
but would be damn expensive if you consider everything required

The best way is to sell your non ABS bike, then purchase a bike with ABS, or the reverse.

Google came up with TCB brake systems pretty easy
:| but very curious; previous posts indicate you ride a gsxr 600 why do you feel it requires ABS?
... how many fingers do you normally use to operate your front brake and which brake are you having difficulty regulating?

I would never recommend one, but for the sake of conversation, there are "modules" that you can fit onto your brake lines which contain a rubberized pressure reservoir. They effectively give you spongy brakes, basically acting like the opposite of braided steel brake lines. This is nothing like real ABS, and even the FAQ from the manufacturer is clear about their limitations: http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/

On reading more about that TCB thingy, it would simulate the effect of having air in your brake system

:rolleyes: oh goodie, a brilliant solution for anyone wanting to impart their high performance hydraulic disc brakes with that nostalgic leather like feel of cable actuated drum brakes.

On reading more about that TCB thingy, it would simulate the effect of having air in your brake system

:rolleyes: oh goodie, a brilliant solution for anyone wanting to impart their high performance hydraulic disc brakes with that nostalgic leather like feel of cable actuated drum brakes.

Well, it would probably slow you down. If you knew your brakes were about as effective as fred flintstone dragging his feet, you probably would ride more cautiously.

Well, it would probably slow you down. If you knew your brakes were about as effective as fred flintstone dragging his feet, you probably would ride more cautiously.

Na, doesn't work, I used to ride a BB34 Gold Star and the only thing that slowed that thing down was the extreme vibration.

An example of why there are no "kits".

I had two of the same model bike just one abs and on non-abs. One street (non-abs) and one with it's intended use on the track (has ABS) - salvage title on frame. Can't be used on the street.

I didn't need the ABS on the track bike. Small displacement and not the best system for track use....plus it's extra weight.

for me to put it on the non-abs bike I needed to swap and do the following:
- remove ENTIRE brake system from ABS bike (master cylinder, lines, to caliper, to extra plumbing to the abs module/pump and continuned all the way to the rear brake since it's all interconnected)
- remove the ABS rings from the wheels
- remove the ECU
- remove the ENTIRE wire harness to accommodate for the additional electrical clips the ABS system rtequires to operate
- remove the dash, so the ABS warning light is on the non-ABS bike in case it's not functioning properly
...then weld/make new tabs. All of the extra tabs and mounting points on the non-ABS bike do not exist since it does not come with them from factory...because it doesn't have ABS.
then remove all that crap from the non-abs bike. Then reassemble it.

NOT worth the time or effort and it wouldn't have cost me anything because I already had the entire system.

If you don't have the entire system, it will cost you WAY beyond the extra $500 in difference for a brand new bike between ABS and non-ABS.

An example of why there are no "kits".

I had two of the same model bike just one abs and on non-abs. One street (non-abs) and one with it's intended use on the track (has ABS) - salvage title on frame. Can't be used on the street.

I didn't need the ABS on the track bike. Small displacement and not the best system for track use....plus it's extra weight.

for me to put it on the non-abs bike I needed to swap and do the following:
- remove ENTIRE brake system from ABS bike (master cylinder, lines, to caliper, to extra plumbing to the abs module/pump and continuned all the way to the rear brake since it's all interconnected)
- remove the ABS rings from the wheels
- remove the ECU
- remove the ENTIRE wire harness to accommodate for the additional electrical clips the ABS system rtequires to operate
- remove the dash, so the ABS warning light is on the non-ABS bike in case it's not functioning properly
...then weld/make new tabs. All of the extra tabs and mounting points on the non-ABS bike do not exist since it does not come with them from factory...because it doesn't have ABS.
then remove all that crap from the non-abs bike. Then reassemble it.

NOT worth the time or effort and it wouldn't have cost me anything because I already had the entire system.

If you don't have the entire system, it will cost you WAY beyond the extra $500 in difference for a brand new bike between ABS and non-ABS.

whoops...the ECU was the same on both bikes.

Back
Top Bottom