But you got money | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

But you got money

If you pay cash you miss out on the 2% rebate at the end of the year. Mine came to$24.00 Whoopee.

However in buying two GM work vans I saved about $5,000 by using a GM Visa credit card.

Now that I'm in a more laid back situation I pay cash for most purchases. I don't even like debit.

I use CC for gas because I can pay at the pump and get out faster.

What annoys me is the Loblaw's near me. I can't use the self checkout because they only take cards and with my usual bad luck I get stuck in a conventional line behind the shopper who hasn't a clue about how much they bought or the balance on their card or the pin number but has a fist full of coupons.

If a person is disciplined the CC rebates are good. My daughter knows someone that pays everything on CC's, mortgage, insurances, utilities, groceries, car payments etc. Gets a few thousand back every year but pays the full balance every month.

Most people don't have that focus.

The cash shopper pays the overhead on all those CC purchases by others, another P me off moment.

I like the story of the guy who was at a gas station and somehow his windshield got frosted up with him not having a scraper. They were $5.00 but he didn't have any cash. The attendant said use your credit card.

So the guy used his credit card to scrape the windshield.

I find it's not too bad if you put everything on one main credit card AND pay the balance every month. This way you're only looking at one statement. The problem comes if you have multiple cards and forget to pay. We use a PC card for most joint household monthly expenditures, pay the balance off and use the points for groceries. One other thing, I have a personal visa card with a low limit just for online purchases in case of scams. I keep getting a call from the bank asking if I want to raise my limit but I keep it at a couple of hundred. Regardless, every month I pay the credit cards off first, those interest rates are scary.

I understand exactly how a balance builds up, though. Car breaks down, lost some hours at work that month, kid needs new shoes, whatever. You can't scrape it together, but you can pull the card out and delay the problem until the next paycheque. Maybe it's the 2nd next paycheque, and whoops it's already snowballed out of control. Well crap, but you can still make the minimums for a while... until you can't

4) Hook up all your bill payments to your CC. Insurance, cell phone, cable, utilities - these capture the max cashback rate.

Shoot I should have thought about this a while back. I would have taken more free flights... damit.
I will need to get working on that.

I understand exactly how a balance builds up, though. Car breaks down, lost some hours at work that month, kid needs new shoes, whatever. You can't scrape it together, but you can pull the card out and delay the problem until the next paycheque. Maybe it's the 2nd next paycheque, and whoops it's already snowballed out of control. Well crap, but you can still make the minimums for a while... until you can't

people confuse their credit card with many things, reserve fund, emergency fund, short term loan and the list goes on, but its neither one of those, when I bought my first place, the absolute first priority was to make sure I have a reserve fund to cover 3 months worth of expenses, I put that money away before I even bought a sofa to sit on, as soon as that reserve fund was there I let myself make purchases but still kept on increasing my reserve fund.

a lot of people are stressed and dont know why, well for a lot of them its the feeling of being financially trapped because they have to cling on to a job they hate only because being without it even for a day will put them in debt, as soon as they put away a little bit of "f@ck you money" a lot of that stress will go away

yes....this and as earnings have
stagnated
cost of living and taxes have gone up
the middle class has shrunk
and many have slipped into being the working poor
but they have not accepted the
downgrade

Called Bell at the beginning of February to adjust my plan. Got my $107 bill knocked down to $50.

I call Bell again, get a different rep, and am told that if I adjust my plan it will go up to $120. I ask "Really? Who's lying to me then?" After some more teeth pulling, I get a "confirmation" that my next month's bill will be $63.

My bill came in Monday at $129, which is more than my original bill of $107. I call Bell and say "hey, I want you to check your notes and tell me why I am calling." The CS rep immediately knew something was up and told me "okay give me a second." She adjusted my future bills to be $73.

I then asked her "Hey, I know you are under an NDA but every time I have called Bell to adjust my plan this happens. And this only happens if the adjustment ends up as a lower price. Do you guys have some kind of policy that intentionally screws us over? I don't think six of you made the same mistake at different points."

Her response, "I can't comment on that."

Really ****ing scum baggy...but hey, what can we do? Just gotta take it up the *** with oligopolies. Honestly I wish we could mob execute everyone responsible for putting policies like this in play but that'll never happen so I'll stick to dreaming about it.

we run a US credit card when in the US, a BMO travel card for booking flights and most of life; bills and insurance are tied to this, a PC card for grocery and pc associate businesses where the points accumulate.
We have a debit card connected to a LOC, but it has no points value so it gets used last.

Managing multiple cards is no harder than any other life project, bill comes in - circle the pay by date- once a week sit down and pay out the bills, you can post date payment online so you can set it up on the 5th to get paid the 21st or whatever. On line banking is your friend. Its not hard.

now if your taking an advance on card A to pay card B, you have other problems.

Back
Top Bottom