But you got money | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

But you got money

Do those travel CC actually cover as much as regular travel ins.? If regular travel ins. actually covers enough.

Do those travel CC actually cover as much as regular travel ins.? If regular travel ins. actually covers enough.
Yes. I've used mine a few times. Once was for an Air Canada domestic flight that was cancelled (for no good reason) so I needed to get a limo service from Toronto to Kingston....all paid for with zero fuss from the credit card even when Air Canada washed their hands of us. Another was when I was stranded in Washington due to bad weather...the insurance paid for all out of pocket expenses etc. Mine is a BOM card and I can't recommend it enough if you travel at least once a year (with your wife etc...twice a year if you're on your own). It also covers family members as long as you book all your travel with it. The free passes to VIP lounges are just icing on the cake. I get 4 a year and these places have open bars, food and some have showers etc.

Edit: When I say "paid for" I mean reimbursed...

get credit cards that work for you, most of the ones that have a fee offer something in return, travel points, cash back etc, people sometimes confuse credit cards with loans, and that's how most get into trouble, I put a lot of my day to day stuff on a CC and pay if off every month, them once a year a get a credit of $300 - $400, the fee is only +/- $100, and these are all purchases that I would have made anyway.
plus the travel insurance is nice 2

There was a kid selling candy bars last year at the grocery store. I was on the bike and was stuffing my helmet into my bag while walking into the store. He asked if i wanted to buy and i said sorry buddy no cash only card. This little kid, maybe like 10 pulled out his phone and had the apple pay thing on his phone for credit cards. I told him at that point hell no!

The crazy thing is that schools were (not sure if they still are) pushing these "fundraisers" onto kids to bring in money for bragging rights knowing that people have a soft spot for kids. When I was a kid (I think this was grade 3), I remember I "won" a free McDonalds lunch for being in the top 3 kids raising the most money.

I later (few years) realized:
-That the teacher was not allowed to drive myself and the two other students in her personal car to a McD's at lunch (without parent's permission).
-The teacher was cutting her fingernails with those large orange handled scissors while driving (which is crazy with 3 kids - none of which were hers - were in the back seat)
-It was a competition between the teachers for who's class could raise the most $$
-I got ripped off hard.

Wow... That was almost 20 years ago. Surprisingly, I still remember her name.

Should have asked the kid to donate the $1000 phone to the fundraiser. Would likely sell out the box and then some with that money.

Last edited:
Chocolate is easy. You say you're allergic or diabetic or something along those lines.

Door to door people for charities i tell them i've reached my budget allotment to charities and can't give anymore.

The other ones they're an easy smile thanks but no thanks and they leave me alone.

But yeah everyone is trying to sell you something because corporate is pushing everyone to make more money and reach higher sales target... so it does get annoying

MBNA Mastercard, 2% cashback on everything. First month cashback covers the annual fee. The rest is just a bonus.

I don't know if I have a scowling issue or what

It's called "resting b**** face". I'm told it's either that, or an I'm up to no good look myself.

As far as charities go the only storefront setups I'll stop and donate to are the animal rescue and SPCA ones (some SPCAs are independent and rely on donations/grants). The cashiers gigs get a curt no.

There was a kid selling candy bars last year at the grocery store. I was on the bike and was stuffing my helmet into my bag while walking into the store. He asked if i wanted to buy and i said sorry buddy no cash only card. This little kid, maybe like 10 pulled out his phone and had the apple pay thing on his phone for credit cards. I told him at that point hell no!

I was at the bank in line to do some company business and there was a kid selling chocolates. He deliberately stood nearest the cutest teller and just about every guy bought a box of chocolate and gave it to the cutie. That kid was a born salesman.

She must have accumulated a dozen boxes before she told him to stand somewhere else.

I was at the bank in line to do some company business and there was a kid selling chocolates. He deliberately stood nearest the cutest teller and just about every guy bought a box of chocolate and gave it to the cutie. That kid was a born salesman.

She must have accumulated a dozen boxes before she told him to stand somewhere else.

Or she was in on the scam and she gave the kid back the boxes to resell and they split the proceeds.

Or she was in on the scam and she gave the kid back the boxes to resell and they split the proceeds.

she held 2 boxes back as a learning experience for the kid and still made him resell, and she took half the proceeds. Her sister was my wife's divorce lawyer.

I'm on a BMO world elite travel card, between the lounge visits, vacation interupption and medical insurance its well worth it for me. The accumulated air miles are pretty handy for flights, I find the merchandise 'over valued' , but we are always flying somewhere so when its supposed to be on my dime, its nice to cash in and go for 'free'

It's called "resting b**** face". I'm told it's either that, or an I'm up to no good look myself.

As far as charities go the only storefront setups I'll stop and donate to are the animal rescue and SPCA ones (some SPCAs are independent and rely on donations/grants). The cashiers gigs get a curt no.
You actually give off that same impression here...lmfao

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Want to reduce that a bit? Look into a line of credit tied VISA card. I have only one card and it's tied to my line of credit. Interest rates are a fraction of the norm. No perks, points, or cash back but those all cost you money in the long run anyway.
Perk cards do make sense if you know how to use them. Get a decent banking bundle, keep a few grand on deposit and your accounts and credit cards can be free. Perks on the cards range between 1 and 3% -- that's good money that costs you almost nothing.

Here's a few tips on maximizing credit card benefits:

1) Get a premium card. Most offer 2x warranty extensions, some offer insurance on goods, all offer some form of purchase protection, great for online shopping.
2) Look for bundled plans. Better banks bundle credit cards and bank accounts, you can usually find an account that gives you a premium card for free. Keep $5K in that account and all your basic banking can be free.
3) Cashback cards usually have a better return than travel cards, particularly if you use them to pay bills.
4) Hook up all your bill payments to your CC. Insurance, cell phone, cable, utilities - these capture the max cashback rate.
5) Don't carry a balance, credit card rates are stupid. If you qualified for $5K on a credit card, go to the bank and ask to change to a $5K LOC then reduce the CC limit to 1K.

In the credit card industry, there's actually a name for someone who pays their balance off in full every month: Deadbeat

Or in less derogatory terms: a non-revolver, transactor. They don't carry a balance, don't incur interest charges, so the CC companies don't make as much money off of them as someone who just pays the minimum monthly.

They don't carry a balance, don't incur interest charges, so the CC companies don't make as much money off of them as someone who just pays the minimum monthly.

Ironically I just opened a CC statement, there is a small notification on the bottom "if only making the minimum payment this bill will be paid out in 2057" , assuming I dont buy ANYTHING else before I die.
Now I realize there are folks in that boat, but I'd jump off a pier.

And that's why you got money.

Pay your bills, if you can't pay cash you can't afford it so don't put it on your CC.

Dollar here, dollar there, no tax receipts....no thanks.

Ironically I just opened a CC statement, there is a small notification on the bottom "if only making the minimum payment this bill will be paid out in 2057" , assuming I dont buy ANYTHING else before I die.
Now I realize there are folks in that boat, but I'd jump off a pier.
There are lots of people in that boat. Why do you think there are so many chirpy ads for "debt relief when you can't repay"?

There is a whole industry of bottom feeders that depend on "out of control consumer debt". They pride themselves on reducing your debt by 2/3rds in exchange for 60 easy payments and Greeked credit rating.

There are lots of people in that boat. Why do you think there are so many chirpy ads for "debt relief when you can't repay"?

There is a whole industry of bottom feeders that depend on "out of control consumer debt". They pride themselves on reducing your debt by 2/3rds in exchange for 60 easy payments and Greeked credit rating.
well the problem is that there's a need for it due to our overconsumption mindset in this wonderful society. not enough classes teach you in high school the best way to go about using cc. people dont have a clue how cc payment cycles and grace periods work. they just get it cause its easy without knowing how it works other than "if i swipe, i can pay for things, and i gotta pay at least the minimum if i dont want trouble"
so the bottom feeders as you call them are a necessity as people don't prepare, so instead of falling in a pit of credit debt that you can't ever repay, you fall in a pit of debt that is hard to repay but more "possible"

people are all about instant reward and not about saving... i think last time i'd seen numbers (back maybe 8-9 years ago)it was something like about 50% of people who paid their cc in full...which is actually a nice number. but i bet it has declined since and less people are paying in full. no wonder an extra 20% people can't qualify for their mortgage with the new laws in place, people haven't been taught to save

Perk cards do make sense if you know how to use them. Get a decent banking bundle, keep a few grand on deposit and your accounts and credit cards can be free. Perks on the cards range between 1 and 3% -- that's good money that costs you almost nothing.

Here's a few tips on maximizing credit card benefits:

1) Get a premium card. Most offer 2x warranty extensions, some offer insurance on goods, all offer some form of purchase protection, great for online shopping.
2) Look for bundled plans. Better banks bundle credit cards and bank accounts, you can usually find an account that gives you a premium card for free. Keep $5K in that account and all your basic banking can be free.
3) Cashback cards usually have a better return than travel cards, particularly if you use them to pay bills.
4) Hook up all your bill payments to your CC. Insurance, cell phone, cable, utilities - these capture the max cashback rate.
5) Don't carry a balance, credit card rates are stupid. If you qualified for $5K on a credit card, go to the bank and ask to change to a $5K LOC then reduce the CC limit to 1K.

My current interest rate is 6.75%, with no annual fee. I don't have to go through any hoops to have it. I like easy.

Different things work for different folks. And somethings don't work for any folks.

I'd like to see life skills programs in high schools, explain things like ' first and last ', how a mortgage works, CC options and auto finance, off beat stuff like the "dont pay a cent for a year" programs with interest retroactive to the day it was delivered at 23.5%...
Sure parents should talk to kids about money, but hearing it from multiple sources couldn't hurt.

We never talked about money in my house growing up, it just wasn't dinner conversation but it should have been.

And that's why you got money.

Pay your bills, if you can't pay cash you can't afford it so don't put it on your CC.

Dollar here, dollar there, no tax receipts....no thanks.

If you pay cash you miss out on the 2% rebate at the end of the year. Mine came to$24.00 Whoopee.

However in buying two GM work vans I saved about $5,000 by using a GM Visa credit card.

Now that I'm in a more laid back situation I pay cash for most purchases. I don't even like debit.

I use CC for gas because I can pay at the pump and get out faster.

What annoys me is the Loblaw's near me. I can't use the self checkout because they only take cards and with my usual bad luck I get stuck in a conventional line behind the shopper who hasn't a clue about how much they bought or the balance on their card or the pin number but has a fist full of coupons.

If a person is disciplined the CC rebates are good. My daughter knows someone that pays everything on CC's, mortgage, insurances, utilities, groceries, car payments etc. Gets a few thousand back every year but pays the full balance every month.

Most people don't have that focus.

The cash shopper pays the overhead on all those CC purchases by others, another P me off moment.

I like the story of the guy who was at a gas station and somehow his windshield got frosted up with him not having a scraper. They were $5.00 but he didn't have any cash. The attendant said use your credit card.

So the guy used his credit card to scrape the windshield.

Back
Top Bottom