But you got money | GTAMotorcycle.com

But you got money

nobbie48

Site Supporter
A few years back I was coming out of a convenience store after buying a can of pop or something but had made the mistake of not having putting my wallet away inside the store.

Outside the store a kid was selling chocolate bars for a school fund (Stupid economics) and I got the "Want to buy a chocolate bar routine." "No Thanks"

He had seen my wallet and I was carrying some extra cash for shopping and he blurted out "But sir, you got money".

Just venting here but now every place I go reminds me of that kid. That includes banks.

One way or another everyone is trying to get the last nickel out of our pockets.

Banks push credit cards. They also want to take care of your money (At a fee). Fast food places up sell. Electronics stores push extended warranties. Loyalty cards everywhere. Donate to a charity with your purchase.

Cashiers have to push loyalty or store bank cards on every shopper every time.

Maybe I'll just have a bar code tattooed on my forehead and they can scan me.

end of rant.

I don't know if I have a scowling issue or what, but those kids barely make eye contact with me anymore. I never feel bad about declining the "donate to a charity with your purchase" because what they really want is the optics of helping out a charity while not spending their own money on it.

Everything else... it's just capitalism. Maximize return, minimize expenditure. It has never been on the side of the consumer

Haha, some clients send personal letters along the lines of "Based on your business with us last year, we believe an appropriate donation to my child's private jewish school of $xxx should be made". xxx is up to 50% of your gross business with them last year depending on the size of their stones.

I don't mind those so much as the "please donate to send my kid on a "volunteer" trip to XXXXXXXX (insert exotic location)". The volunteers don't actually accomplish anything apart from feeling good about themselves and its a bloody holiday.

At least the kid called you "sir".

I tell everyone that knocks on my door (except girl guides selling cookies) that i already have my favourite charities that i give to.
A kid selling choc bars gets a no thanks.

When you are retired and on a fixed income it gets a lot easier to say no.

I don't mind those so much as the "please donate to send my kid on a "volunteer" trip to XXXXXXXX (insert exotic location)". The volunteers don't actually accomplish anything apart from feeling good about themselves and its a bloody holiday.

Were you referring to Trudeau?

Oh wait, he just goes and sends you the bill.

They keep pushing credit cards because it is more about market research then credit. This way they can figure out how to sell you more crap. Same with loyalty and points cards. This will only get worse as the old ways of collecting this info die off and replaced by more tech savvy ways.
[COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]

I tell them the government already took alot of my money

Consider that those 'donations' that you give to a business, for a charity, are both a deduction for the business and bragging rights for how philanthropic they are. I donate directly, when I do, and don't feel any guilt about not giving at the register.

... That includes banks.

One way or another everyone is trying to get the last nickel out of our pockets.

Banks push credit cards. They also want to take care of your money (At a fee). Fast food places up sell. Electronics stores push extended warranties. Loyalty cards everywhere. Donate to a charity with your purchase.

Cashiers have to push loyalty or store bank cards on every shopper every time...
I think banks are one of the greatest deals available! When you think about what a bank does for you, then think about the cost for that service. For $15/month, you get a chequing, savings and credit card account. You also get free accounts for most savings and investments. They keep your cash assets (your money) money safe, and insured. They handle payments and cash distribution for you at will for free anywhere in Canada, and for a modest fee anywhere in the world. You can call then 24x365 for help. If you manage your affairs well, they will lend you money cheaply. If you manage your affairs well, most services can be had for free.

Compare what they do for you to what you get from your CableTV, cell phone or Internet company?

if you really want the feeling of being a walking wallet
spend some time as a visible minority in a developing country

Canada won't bother you much after that

There was a kid selling candy bars last year at the grocery store. I was on the bike and was stuffing my helmet into my bag while walking into the store. He asked if i wanted to buy and i said sorry buddy no cash only card. This little kid, maybe like 10 pulled out his phone and had the apple pay thing on his phone for credit cards. I told him at that point hell no!

They keep pushing credit cards because it is more about market research then credit. This way they can figure out how to sell you more crap. Same with loyalty and points cards. This will only get worse as the old ways of collecting this info die off and replaced by more tech savvy ways.
[COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]
Credit cards are jet fuel for banks. Banks collect a fee from merchants every time you swipe your card, if you don't pay your balance off each month they charge heavy interest. Most cards are around 20%, some go >30%.

Think about it... you have $1000 in your savings account at the bank, the bank pays you $0.50 per month in interest. The bank loans that money to you neighbour in the form of a Credit Card, she pays the bank $16.50 in interest on that $1000. There is work and risk on the banks end, but it's all fairly well managed and doesn't dig into profits all that much.

Credit cards are jet fuel for banks. Banks collect a fee from merchants every time you swipe your card, if you don't pay your balance off each month they charge heavy interest. Most cards are around 20%, some go >30%.

Think about it... you have $1000 in your savings account at the bank, the bank pays you $0.50 per month in interest. The bank loans that money to you neighbour in the form of a Credit Card, she pays the bank $16.50 in interest on that $1000. There is work and risk on the banks end, but it's all fairly well managed and doesn't dig into profits all that much.

Want to reduce that a bit? Look into a line of credit tied VISA card. I have only one card and it's tied to my line of credit. Interest rates are a fraction of the norm. No perks, points, or cash back but those all cost you money in the long run anyway.

No perks, points, or cash back but those all cost you money in the long run anyway.

Very long run you are correct. In the short run, paying off cards every month leaves you with a decent amount of perks with no direct cost to you. Obviously this does cost retailers. If a retailer gives me a discount for not using a credit card, I am happy to pay with another method. If they are charging me the same no matter what I pay with, I pick the card with the best return for me.

I haven't found a card with an annual fee that made sense, I stick with the free cards (currently canadian tire mc, amex (used to be costco, now rebranded) and amazon visa (chase is killing this relationship next week). The amazon card has the best foreign exchange rates, hopefully that continues with the new format otherwise I will cancel that one.

Last edited:
Want to reduce that a bit? Look into a line of credit tied VISA card. I have only one card and it's tied to my line of credit. Interest rates are a fraction of the norm. No perks, points, or cash back but those all cost you money in the long run anyway.

I was absolutely against annual fee credit cards until I realised that one type would work for me. A travel credit card, the annual fee is less then the travel insurance I paid for every year on one trip including cancelation insurance and it's actually decent coverage. Everything else with that card afterwards is a bonus. I don't keep a balance on my cards though, those are the first things I pay off every month in total.

Only use a CC for something you can pay cash for. No-fee cards are everywhere, just pay it off every month. Mine are tied to points, so cash them in on groceries every month or so.

I was absolutely against annual fee credit cards until I realised that one type would work for me. A travel credit card, the annual fee is less then the travel insurance I paid for every year on one trip including cancelation insurance and it's actually decent coverage. Everything else with that card afterwards is a bonus. I don't keep a balance on my cards though, those are the first things I pay off every month in total.

As above, I use a travel M/C , cancellation insurance, medical, other stuff built in. And access to priority lounges at major airports. Worth every penny of $150 user fee (for me) .
I do get tired of bank tellers ' helping me out' with advice, I understand they are on a quota/commission deal so I listen politely then wander off.
We get a few at the door, salesweasels, I try not to be mean but when i ask a question and they give me a pat 'here's my script', ok bye bye now.

I've been that guy out with the kids on Scout apple day, and fundraisers, so I'm sympathetic but its a grind.

The current wave of CTC jumpstart, Indigo/Chapters love of reading stuff makes my head hurt

Back
Top Bottom