Where does the time go!? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where does the time go!?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Wow...seems like just yesterday I got my M1, my CBR125, and started riding on the side roads to get used to the feeling of FINALLY getting my motorcycle license after all those years of stalling. Did a good 4,000km on the first bike, 24,000km on the CBR250R, and now about 7,000km on the CB500F....and I can't believe that 6 years have gone by so fast! FB showed me a 'memory' of my first commute to work photo and it brought back all those memories of trips gone by, places that I saw, people I met, and have enjoyed the experience so much, and of course the many riders I met off GTAM for rides here and there.

It's been such a great ride, that I'm almost sad I am even considering moving on and getting rid of the bike. I don't want to but the daily 401 commute has literally killed the joy of riding last year for me. That and the new addition (1 year old last week!) has really made me reconsider for the next couple of years, but I saw a nice cruiser a couple of days ago and am almost thinking maybe it's time to switch up the type of bike, or get rid of the bike and just do a few off road courses as some have recommended, hell maybe even a track day or two on some rented bikes. OR at the very least keep the bike as a weekend short ride whenever I get a chance...hell it doesn't cost me more than the insurance that's needed per year.

For all the lurkers out there that are unsure, not 100% yet but almost there....do it! AT least try it, you may hate it, enjoy it, fall in love with it, or just be indifferent about it! But at least try it!

I regret waiting so long to get my license (got it at 32) and wish I had done so sooner, but knowing myself it's probably for the best that I waited that long!

Warm weather is coming, so be patient, recalibrate your skills, and enjoy the 2 wheel world! I'm sure I'll take it for a boot or two before I make a final decision.

Ditto. I thought about the same the other day. Sold my bike over a year ago, but I still miss it. Especially after having watched some bikes recently. I thought to myself, riding 12 years and in all the time, no major injuries or hardship, despite the fact I lost a few friends. The commutes were sucking the joy out of it at times, but there were many good times and people I had the opportunity to meet. As a young man, it helped me set a variety of personal goals.

At the time when I started in my 20s, I made fun of guys who hung up their helmets for family, but as I grew older and became less selfish, I understood why many do the same. My only regret is not having gone to the track earlier than in my 10th year of riding.

Wow...seems like just yesterday I got my M1, my CBR125, and started riding on the side roads to get used to the feeling of FINALLY getting my motorcycle license after all those years of stalling. Did a good 4,000km on the first bike, 24,000km on the CBR250R, and now about 7,000km on the CB500F....and I can't believe that 6 years have gone by so fast! FB showed me a 'memory' of my first commute to work photo and it brought back all those memories of trips gone by, places that I saw, people I met, and have enjoyed the experience so much, and of course the many riders I met off GTAM for rides here and there.

It's been such a great ride, that I'm almost sad I am even considering moving on and getting rid of the bike. I don't want to but the daily 401 commute has literally killed the joy of riding last year for me. That and the new addition (1 year old last week!) has really made me reconsider for the next couple of years, but I saw a nice cruiser a couple of days ago and am almost thinking maybe it's time to switch up the type of bike, or get rid of the bike and just do a few off road courses as some have recommended, hell maybe even a track day or two on some rented bikes. OR at the very least keep the bike as a weekend short ride whenever I get a chance...hell it doesn't cost me more than the insurance that's needed per year.

For all the lurkers out there that are unsure, not 100% yet but almost there....do it! AT least try it, you may hate it, enjoy it, fall in love with it, or just be indifferent about it! But at least try it!

I regret waiting so long to get my license (got it at 32) and wish I had done so sooner, but knowing myself it's probably for the best that I waited that long!

Warm weather is coming, so be patient, recalibrate your skills, and enjoy the 2 wheel world! I'm sure I'll take it for a boot or two before I make a final decision.

Don't take the highway. Maybe plan a route taking side roads or the streets.

I can relate MP
starting riding at 16
wore out 3 bikes
then the kids arrived
didn't ride again for 20 years
life is cyclical
you'll ride again
but keep the bike if you can
even just to admire in the garage
good for the soul

I can relate MP
starting riding at 16
wore out 3 bikes
then the kids arrived
didn't ride again for 20 years
life is cyclical
you'll ride again
but keep the bike if you can
even just to admire in the garage
good for the soul
It's a common story, mine is the same.

I hear you, had to put off getting a bike after getting gear and doing the course because we learned we we're gonna be parents. It's only about 2 years later that i pulled the trigger...just before we bought a house.

Now 2 kids in, i still can't see myself buying a 2nd car ($$$ and overkill) so i'll keep my moto for commuting. Even though it's been brutal at times (gardiner + qew) it beats riding the go transit or taking the car. The only other thing i'm changing this year is riding my bicycle to work a few times a week so my moto riding will still remain a 'novelty' to me. M

Maybe there won't be as many weekend long trips but i know that my therapist will be waiting for me in my garage when i need it.

Commuting by MC beats public transit is is more fun than a cage.

Almost anything beats public transit in this city, even walking..

Kids sure due disrupt ones priorities but totally worth it. At least riding can be done at almost any age so coming back doesn't seem to be a problem. Heck maybe a break would help with feeling burned out.

I can relate to you OP.

Still remember the day I got my GS500F. My parents were ******. Then the dashboard fell off due to ****** mods the old owner did. And the first ride through light snow where I was smiling with my hand out looking at the snow while at a red light.

Then the GSXR came with the meeting of hooligans. One was a quiet Chinese guy that got into riding after I did. I thought he'd ride like a saint due to his personality but the CBR600RR was his first bike. We got on the highway...and next thing I know I'm following a quiet speed lunatic.

The modding started after, gold accents everywhere. Thousands spent for no reason other than "cause it looks good." Some cold night in March, JohnnyP636 finished powder coating my bike, one of his frds noticed I was wearing textile pants with liner and said "heheheh he's going for a ride after this!" I got up to 270km/h before my heart rate was going so fast I vowed to never do it again (I broke that vow a year later lol).

Then there was the 507, Racer5 lessons, and trackdays.

Sadly real life caught up and most of us went our own ways. This happened shortly after I got a reality check and learned I'm not invincible. Another buddy in the group did as well, except last time I saw him I could still see the fear in his eyes.

....I'm almost done paying OSAP back now. While most of the money was spent on school, some of it was spent on all of the above. And honestly, even though I'm paying more due to interest, I don't regret any of those memories. I learned and experienced so much more than I would've had I stayed in my comfort zone, saved money, and kept playing video games for those years.

Last edited:
I grew up when insurance wasn't prohibitive and NOBODY wanted a used british bike so staying in the saddle was do-able, cheap and cheerful. None of my rides were pretty, new , and some werent 'mechanically' sound, but its been a couple decades of fun.

Almost anything beats public transit in this city, even walking..

Kids sure due disrupt ones priorities but totally worth it. At least riding can be done at almost any age so coming back doesn't seem to be a problem. Heck maybe a break would help with feeling burned out.
After testing and calculating
i found out that

Motorcycle
Insurance + gas comes = $45 per week (of insured months, only get 7 months of insurance premiums)
30-50 minutes from door to door

Go transit + MiWay
Cost = $75 per week
1 hour door to door

Car
Gas + parking = $90 (didn't even include insurance on that one)
1 hour + door to door

Bicycle
Bike locker + shower pass = $2.5
1 hour door to door

The one that comes the closest to beating the motorcycle is the bicycle. how sad is that lol

If cycling is an option, it would be my #1 for most times. Saves $$ and good for your health. Especially if it takes almost the same time.

Rush hour traffic sucks - especially if you're cooking under the sun.

@LePhillou
If a bicycle almost takes the same time, then a (Pedal)e-bike would almost be as fast as a motorcycle on your commute.

I was super close to investing in one myself, but $2k+ is pretty steep for a decent one and I always feel that if it's nice enough to ride a bike, it's probably nice enough to ride a motorcycle.

That thought usually disappears when the riding season starts.

If my insurance costed me more than $60/mo, I probably would have gotten rid of the bike last year. Crazy when I think back 7 years ago paying $160/mo for a CBR125 for liability only when I started while working an entry-level job (and at times jobless while @ school).

Went from riding all year round as long as the roads were dry in Winter (no car at the time), to a (somewhat) fair-weather rider to commute, go for a quick random ride, or brush up on skills doing MotoGymkhana drills.

Last edited:

@LePhillou
If a bicycle almost takes the same time, then a (Pedal)e-bike would almost be as fast as a motorcycle on your commute.

I was super close to investing in one myself, but $2k+ is pretty steep for a decent one and I always feel that if it's nice enough to ride a bike, it's probably nice enough to ride a motorcycle.

If my insurance costed me more than $60/mo, I probably would have gotten rid of the bike last year. Crazy when I think back 7 years ago paying $160/mo for a CBR125 for liability only when I started while working an entry-level job (and at times jobless while @ school).

Went from riding all year round as long as the roads were dry in Winter (no car at the time), to a (somewhat) fair-weather rider to commute, go for a quick random ride, or brush up on skills doing MotoGymkhana drills.
Yeah i got 2 tickets and got scared that insurance costs would get me out of the moto market, but it didnt increase that much...i pay 120/month for 7 months of the year (so cost is under 100 if that we're over 12 months).
Bicycle is nice, e-bicycle i wouldn't consider as i need the workout and i don't need the extra cost and chain woes of e-bicycles, but it would definitely be a nice extra on the ride back (we're talking a 25km commute each way) since go train won't accept non-foldable bicycles on the train during rush hour.

And honestly i already have a two wheeled vehicle that pushes me around through the motorcycle :p so i'll just stick to that good ol trusty motorcycle. After all the effort i've put to get it, it'd be a waste to let her sit there while i use another form of motorized 2-wheeled transport.

Bicycle is nice, e-bicycle i wouldn't consider as i need the workout and i don't need the extra cost and chain woes of e-bicycles, but it would definitely be a nice extra on the ride back (we're talking a 25km commute each way) since go train won't accept non-foldable bicycles on the train during rush hour.

As long as you're not dying on the ride back then it's all good.

The most direct route for me is 28kms with crazy elevation changes (Bathurst St from Major Mac to King St W), so I'd definitely die. I've done a similar ride on a bicycle as a kid from Dufferin & Steeles to Lakeshore and back... It was an 8hr day(with some stops and bike maintenance) and I sure as hell would not want to do that after a day of work... Needless to say, I could not get out of bed the next day from soreness.

@LePhillou

I'm not sure of the insurance situation for e-bikes and their kin. I know you don't need insurance but what happens if you knock down a lawyer and he goes after your house. You have no insurance. Is there insurance available for e-bikes?

I want to cover my ASSets.

Dude...I paid $300 a month for my god damn GS500F. Them feels.

CDOT saved my *** so many times at Seneca lol

I'm paying $89/m or so now for something 4x in power......go figure.

I'm not sure of the insurance situation for e-bikes and their kin. I know you don't need insurance but what happens if you knock down a lawyer and he goes after your house. You have no insurance. Is there insurance available for e-bikes?

Wouldn't the same "issue" arise for a regular bicycle? They're fully capable of reaching 40km/h (with more effort obviously)

The e-bikes I'm talking about are the Pedal-assist bikes.

油井緋色;2550853 said:
Dude...I paid $300 a month for my god damn GS500F. Them feels.

CDOT saved my *** so many times at Seneca lol

I'm paying $89/m or so now for something 4x in power......go figure.

Financial planning played a huge part in getting the bike when I did. If I had gotten the bike insured the first year I got my license, it would have been $3500 in one payment for liability only (so pretty much what you were paying for a GS500F, but for a CBR125 lol.
Paid $10 in gas for 1.5 weeks of travel (if I didn't go riding elsewhere) vs $6/day in bus fare
Travel time was 25 min vs 1.5 hrs

I think I had $6k-$7k saved up before buying the bike/gear/insurance (to make sure I could afford insurance the year after even if I wasn't working).

Last edited:

sure, anyone can be sued if their actions cause injury/loss

I'd like to see every vehicle on the public roadways carry liability insurance and a license plate

home policies carry a public liability rider, but I think that's just for incidents at the home?

I'm sure you could find someone to take on the risk of an e-bike

Commuting by MC beats public transit is is more fun than a cage.

Can I get a HALLELUJAH brothers and sisters?

You have to consider commutes in aggregate--some parts are lousy. With transit or a car it's mainly a chore and you still have to deal with knobs.

+1 on Mim's message to any lurkers. Do it. Getting your M endorsement doesn't mean you need to become an uber-rider. The process is worthy in and of itself.

Back
Top Bottom