Which of the Big 4 has the most interesting lineup? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which of the Big 4 has the most interesting lineup?

Who's got the best lineup?

• Honda

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Kawasaki

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Suzuki

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
Honda because they own and (now) actively sell Montesa, Suzuki and Kawasaki don't even have a go anywhere entry, Yamaha pretends like they don't make one and they never heard about Scorpa.

You don't do any pavement only trips any more? I understand that with your current life situation you need a dual sport of sorts but do you ever miss sport bikes?

I miss them on the track, not on the pavement.

Besides the look-cool value, there is absolutely no benefit to riding a sportbike on the street. Uncomfortable. Terrible tank range. Uncomfortable. Poor turning radius. Legally unable to exploit the bike's potential. High insurance. Theft target. Heat score. Uncomfortable.

The big dualies make great streetbikes. If I had a second choice, it'd probably be some kind of sport-tourer, leaning towards tourer. Something with a sound system and cruise control... :) I've always liked the Goldwing. So Honda still wins for me.

I do miss the track a lot though.

Yes, meant more in terms of a sport tourer not a super sport.

Still, with that said, if you have the means of bringing a true SS to a great twisty area then some fun can still be had. I was playing with the idea but just sold the GSX-R so I will have to rely on the Fazer yet again (Georgia (US) this time). At least my 2013 model has fully adjustable suspension so I cranked it up properly for my 230lbs and it performs half decently.

I think, overall, most manufacturers could do better with DSs. It's the most versatile type of a motorcycle. If Kawasaki ever updates/upgrades the KLR650, I'd probably buy it again. Africa Twin is a beautiful bike just not sure if the range is good.

Sport Touring segment is also a bit poor.

Everyone seems to be about nakeds and retro nowadays. Unfortunately they offer little weather protection, almost zero luggage compatibility and tiny fuel tanks.

Still, with that said, if you have the means of bringing a true SS to a great twisty area then some fun can still be had.

Agreed. We used to trailer our sportbikes to Deals Gap. Saved on tires and chiropractic bills... I think if you lived in the area, it would be a riot to own a SS, if you could afford the speeding tickets.

I think, overall, most manufacturers could do better with DSs. It's the most versatile type of a motorcycle. If Kawasaki ever updates/upgrades the KLR650, I'd probably buy it again. Africa Twin is a beautiful bike just not sure if the range is good.

Yes, I heard the same. Tank range is not good. ~300kms on a 19L tank...

I think the Japanese need to throw some models into the faux-DS segment, especially that sweet spot where the Multistrada and the S1000XR play. There's some good models coming out in the entry-level, V-Strom 250, Versys 300. But they've got some tough competition: the G310GS is getting good press and the upcoming 390 Adventure looks to be a killer. And the Chinese have that CSC RX3 or whatever they call it in North America.

Sport Touring segment is also a bit poor.

Yeah, that segment has died a horrible death. I remember it used to be packed with entries. What is there left these days? They've even stopped importing the VFR800 to Canada.

Everyone seems to be about nakeds and retro nowadays. Unfortunately they offer little weather protection, almost zero luggage compatibility and tiny fuel tanks.

Dualies not popular in Toronto?

VFR800 is why I have beef with Honda. I even wrote them a couple of letters but I doubt these letters get anywhere far. Had meaningless responses from PR dept.

I had a 5th generation and all I wanted is for it to be a little bit lighter and a little bit quicker. What do they do? Make it heavier, take away the sweet gear driven cams, same power. Then that abomination of VFR1200 (sorry 1200 owners (if there are any of you)). Then they say they have re-designed the VFR800 and are bringing it back to North America. ... But no, re-design my butt, they have changed the damn plastics on it basically, and brought down the exhaust so it blocks the wheel again. Then they price it $2,000 higher than comparable bikes, offer it in friggin' white (who wants a white, fully faired touring bike???) and wonder it's not selling.

VFR800 is why I have beef with Honda. I even wrote them a couple of letters but I doubt these letters get anywhere far. Had meaningless responses from PR dept.

I had a 5th generation and all I wanted is for it to be a little bit lighter and a little bit quicker. What do they do? Make it heavier, take away the sweet gear driven cams, same power. Then that abomination of VFR1200 (sorry 1200 owners (if there are any of you)). Then they say they have re-designed the VFR800 and are bringing it back to North America. ... But no, re-design my butt, they have changed the damn plastics on it basically, and brought down the exhaust so it blocks the wheel again. Then they price it $2,000 higher than comparable bikes, offer it in friggin' white (who wants a white, fully faired touring bike???) and wonder it's not selling.
The midweight ST is a tough market in North America -- the WEE is the only bike that sells well, probably because it straddles the light ADV market.

Back
Top Bottom