Which of the Big 4 has the most interesting lineup? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which of the Big 4 has the most interesting lineup?

Who's got the best lineup?

• Honda

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Kawasaki

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Suzuki

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
I occasionally check Canadian websites of the "Big 4" Japanese manufacturers for updates, releases and cancellations.

It is interesting to see which company focuses more on which niche and who is more innovative.

I would rank Kawasaki number 1 at the moment. They have an insane variety and selection for our small market. I only wish they upgraded (or updated) their DS segment. Something like a KLR400 FI would be cool to see.

Honda has got some weird bikes going (like the VFR1200X - that they call nimble (600+ lbs!!!)). Kudos for making real small popular again (Grom) though.

Suzuki's lineup seems a bit bland to me but they kinda have it all.
Didn't realize they have a 250cc "sport" bike nowadays. Now that the other 3 got engaged in a cc war - going back to a 250 size seems like a good idea.

Yamaha's selection is probably the most limited but they hit a lot of good spots. MT-09/FZ-09 seems to be a runaway hit, see them all over the place.

Finally a word on the naming of various models. Why is it that in the motorcycle world, almost nothing has a name just a generic code?
Imagine if all cars were like that? Ford XZ3400, Toyota HJM400X, etc.
Of course you can also go the other way, like Kawasaki when at one point almost every single bike of theirs was named Ninja something.

Last edited:
Kawasaki for sure has the most interesting and vast lineup. They also got the most tech on their bikes, from tachometer to traction control and what not. I'm not a fan of all the tech, but kudos to them for incorporating all of it in their lineup.

Honda seems to be lacking in the tech department. This is true not just with their motorcycles, but cars as well. I drive a manual Honda car, and recently upgraded my motorcycle to a Honda as well for this very reason. I hate all the fancy tech.

Yamaha, I feel, is a mix between Kawi and Honda. Suzuki comes last in my book, looks dated. I wouldn't mind a Hayabusa though.

Just my opinion, please don't flame me for it :)

I think all 4 do OK in the 600 and litre standard and SS class.

Leaders:
Entry level Sport: KAWI 400 and Yamaha R3
Hooligan: Yamaha MTs, Kawi Ninjas

Entry Cruiser: Yamaha Virago, Honda Rebel
Mid Cruiser: Yamaha Bolt/Suzuki M50 (what happened to the Honda Shadow?)
Heavy Cruiser: Yamaha Raider/ Honda Fury
Power Cruiser: Yamaha VMAX

Light heritage: Suzuki TU
Medium heritage:
Heritage: Honda CB1100/Yamaha SCR950
Heavy Tourer: Honda GL800

Light Adv: Kawi Versys 300/Honda NCX500
Mid Adv: Suzuki VSTROM/Kawi KLR
Heavy Adv: Honda Atwin/Yamaha Super Tenere

you mean CB500X I think

And medium Heritage CBR650F is a nice addition
cbr650f_13112_222millennium_red_front.png

yamaha and kawi at the top, honda and suzuki are bleh atm

Suzuki only really has VVT on one bike as a tech claim to fame. Plus their entry level "sport bike" is a reskinned, tired and weak GW250. Blech.

Honda is boring. Everything seems overly soft and middling, as if little effort is being made to innovate and "be number 1."

Yamaha's got some really nice bikes (esp the MT series) and their cross-plane crank engines across the line are sweet. I like that they're not corporately afraid to put something goofy and mad like the MT09 out there. Good for them.

Gotta give it to Kawasaki right now though. Their supercharged high-enders are awesome and their "entry" level 400 is clearly better than just about everything in the class, even the KTM 390. Would love to try that loony Connie 1400 just for ***** and giggles.

I'd say they all bring something to the party, which is why 4 survive. At different points in history, one ruled dirt, one held road race and one was the biggest cruiser market leader. It all changes ever couple years.

Kawasaki and Yamaha. Then Honda, then Suzuki. But ... if I were to be adding another bike to the stable at the moment (which I don't need!), it would probably be Italian. I've got a track day coming up in a couple months which will be on a rental Ducati Panigale 959, which is probably not going to help resist buying another bike that I don't need.

Suzuki only really has VVT on one bike as a tech claim to fame. Plus their entry level "sport bike" is a reskinned, tired and weak GW250. Blech.
Suzuki has been 'sweating' their proven designs. When I stop for a break, I always count the bikes in the lot, Suzuki always does well. Something said for keeping things simple and dependable and inexpensive.

Honda is boring. Everything seems overly soft and middling, as if little effort is being made to innovate and "be number 1."
Agreed. I also think Honda has a lethargic dealer base that makes all their money on power products and/or car sales. Where's the VFR800X, X-ADV (lol)?

Yamaha's got some really nice bikes (esp the MT series) and their cross-plane crank engines across the line are sweet. I like that they're not corporately afraid to put something goofy and mad like the MT09 out there. Good for them.
My favorite. Yamaha jumps in when the market is there, they go all in - dependable, priced right and featured right. Every bike is competitive - all their dogs hunt.

Gotta give it to Kawasaki right now though. Their supercharged high-enders are awesome and their "entry" level 400 is clearly better than just about everything in the class, even the KTM 390. Would love to try that loony Connie 1400 just for ***** and giggles.
Good coverage, they are a bit like the General Motors of bikes -- a few basic designs skinned and badged to make the lineup look huge. Outside the entry Ninja, KLR, and 600cc & 1l sport/ss -- the rest is window dressing. A Versys, Connie, or any Kawi cruiser is a rare sight compated to a Vstrom, FJR, or Star.

It's Yamaha for me by a long shot. I would be happy to own a MT-09, R6, R1, Bolt and any of the YZ models depending on what I was after. Of the other manufacturers the only bike that appeals to me would be the Honda Africa Twin. When I bought my YZ450 I would've looked at a CRF as well but couldn't find any 2017 or newer with low hours.

The next bike I buy will probably be from a Euro or American manufacturer.

Is extra displacement and more computer software really innovative though? I guess there's only so much you can do with a motorcycle. My preference would be a more comprehensive parts-bin catalogue for B4 bikes. Soggy suspension often lets down otherwise good machines, so having factory sourced upgrades would be great. I haven't bought a bike yet that didn't need suspension work. Pegs, bars, seats that work, no guesswork involved. A Screamin' Eagle sort of situation. I know trim levels are starting to become a thing, but choice is good.

As for interesting ideas (in theory): Honda X-ADV. Given the ultra-conservative tastes of most motorcyclists, it was a pretty daring move to develop a gravel road *scooter* even after odd ducks like the NM4 and DN-01. As cool as Kawasaki's H2 is, it doesn't seem that risky (didn't Ghostrider use a turbo'ed zx10 years ago?).

Not big 4 but I like my KTM...as for lineup they have an insane naked bike (Superduke), a small displacement naked (390 Duke) a reasonable race bike (RC8 )a veritable stable of big adventure bikes, good dirtbike credentials and the RC390 small racebike too. Depending on what your preference is the styling is definitely "different" too.

I think I'd have to say Kawasaki. They have some great entry level bikes in the Ninja 300's and the Versys 300. They have the mid level market represented with the Ninja/Z 650 and Versys 650. They have the cool Z900 and the new 900RS so you have modern naked and retro naked covered. They have the Ninja 1000 for those who want a very sporty ST bike and the Versys 1000. They have the Concours for those who want a heavy weight ST bike. They have solid cruisers with their pair of 900's and the Vaquero bagger and Voyager luxo-tourer. They have very competitive SS bikes, the trusty work horse KLR, and they even have their sub-entry level Z125 for those who want a pit bike for the street!

Gotta be Yamaha for me. There are a bunch of bikes in their lineup that are do it everything just plain great motorcycles. The FZ(i guess MT now) lineup and the FJ and the XSR are all great do-everything bikes.

I'm Yamaha too. I've owned a lotta bikes over the years, If I stuck to Yamaha I don't think I'd need a toolbox! I have a couple in the garage, I ride the s*&^ out of them and they never complain -- one of them was born in 1982 -- older than many riders on this forum.

A few years back I bought used 2006 Virago 250 to teach my son how to ride. It was a retired motorcycle course bike from Humber, I paid $800 at Ready Honda for a bike that passed safety (a real safety). We rode that thing like a rented mule for 3 years -- I had many days of 600+km in the seat, she never missed a beat. That experience cemented my loyalty and respect for the brand.

Back
Top Bottom