Is riding on the highway at 5 C a dumb idea? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is riding on the highway at 5 C a dumb idea?

Where are all the men? How would anyone in Canada that lives outside the GTA answer OP's question?

+5 is fine, wear a proper gear and you'll be fine. Your tires won't be warm enough to carve twisties, they will be fine at recommended speeds if the sun has been out a few hours.

If you ride with common sense, go get her! ( if it was my new bike was waiting, i'd go get her barenuckled in a tee shirt!)
Shhh! You can't mention gender. Perhaps try "Where are all the hardy people?".

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Where are all the men? How would anyone in Canada that lives outside the GTA answer OP's question?

+5 is fine, wear a proper gear and you'll be fine. Your tires won't be warm enough to carve twisties, they will be fine at recommended speeds if the sun has been out a few hours.

If you ride with common sense, go get her! ( if it was my new bike was waiting, i'd go get her barenuckled in a tee shirt!)

I always wondered if thong man was on this board, now I know.

I wonder how all the snowmobilers survive riding at -10, -20...-30.

Oh wait.. they dress for it.

I always wondered if thong man was on this board, now I know.
you got me! I'm from Winnipeg, at +5 they open the beaches.

I think it also has something with the fact that they ride snowmobiles, and not motorcycles at that temperature.

I used to commute for about an hour on the DVP in temps down to -10 or -15...but dressed for it and with a lot of years experience. New rider and new bike, not the best idea.

new rider
new bike

why the highway?
surely there are secondary roads that will get you where you need to go?

but then again
maybe droning along at 120 in a single lane could be safer for you

leave yourself tons of oh-crap room

I think it also has something with the fact that they ride snowmobiles, and not motorcycles at that temperature.

Yes but my underlying point is that it is entirely possible. You could ride a motorcycle anywhere you pleased at -30 if you wanted – again, just dress for the conditions.

My personal limit is +10 on the highway, or +5 tootling around town. I don't own snowmobiling gear, that's with me dressed up as mich as possible while still being able to move my fingers. Also visor condensation is an issue. The worst for me is my forehead as I have a fish shaped head that presses against the helmet and cuts off circulation in my forehead, which also gets directly hit by the wind.

I might try and pull it off for only 30 minutes but I'd be prepared to stop as needed.

The weather is no big deal. We've all ridden in single digit temps.
I'd be more concerned with the brand new tires on the bike.

Traction is the biggie. One ice patch can ruin your whole game plan or even life.

I rode all winter in the good old days and lived.

I worked outdoors in winters for the last 30 years and contrary to the other found surgical gloves made my hands feel colder. Try them. It only takes a few seconds to pull them off if you don't like them.

I would avoid heavy traffic. You don't need people crowding your space.

Made the trip last weekend from Huntsville to Toronto. I dressed for it and I was fine. Like everyone else is saying, keeping your hands warm will be the only tricky part. Stop for a coffee half way even if its only 30 mins. You will be fine.

If you feel comfortable/confident riding then go for it. Even if you're not completely dressed for it you will be alright, albeit cold when you get to your destination. As others have said, take it easy and leave yourself lots of room. If the only riding you have ever done was the M2 training course and you aren't entirely comfortable on a bike then it might be a good idea to wait for better conditions. Just my two nickels, they don't circulate pennies anymore.

I ride a snowmobile...you can't use snowmobile gear on a bike as it's too bulky. The boots won't allow you to shift or brake or remain on the pegs or transfer feel. This is the dilemma with ice racing on a frozen lake... you'd think dressing up for snowmobiling and hopping on the bike would work, but it doesn't. In ice racing you have to dress in layers yet still remain thin to retain manual dexterity and feel and fit the controls. You can't do it dressed as the Michelin Man in snowmobile gear. Snowmobile gear is useless on a bike.

I think the OP has gotten some great advice here... wait it out or get the bike delivered.

If you are new and the bike you are picking up is an SS, I would personally not touch the bike until 15+ degrees knowing what I know now (you like fish tails? You're gonna get a lot of fish tails.) SS tires are ****ing horrible in the cold, you might as well be running plastic, and they have far more torque than anything else.

If you aren't new, and the bike isn't an SS, you'll be fine.

I had ridden a rental last October for a longer stretch of Highway, the weather was a lot warmer though..............

So you're a new rider going to pickup a SS bike early March. Virtually no experience, temps just above freezing, a highway ride home bundled up with bulky gear to keep warm. Unfamiliar bike and controls. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Way not just call the dealer and have it delivered. I'm sure this would cost <$100 or they might even do it for free. Nobody here wants to read about you in the Fallen Riders section of the forum.

I'm finding this thread hard to take seriously -- did your parents bubblewrap you as kids? At 5C, and 100kmh, the windchill is -3C, you don't need a spacesuit to protect your from the elements, a lined jacket, riding boots, and gloves will do just fine for a 30 minute ride. If the sun is out, the roads will not be frozen so as long as you use common sense there isn't a lot of road hazard.

I'm finding this thread hard to take seriously -- did your parents bubblewrap you as kids? At 5C, and 100kmh, the windchill is -3C, you don't need a spacesuit to protect your from the elements, a lined jacket, riding boots, and gloves will do just fine for a 30 minute ride. If the sun is out, the roads will not be frozen so as long as you use common sense there isn't a lot of road hazard.

I feel you on this. Relax people. Just be a little more cautious

+1 on this... did no one ride snowmobiles growing up??? If you think 5C is cold at 100km/h try -20 or -30 celcius at 100km/h. I've spent a full day sledding in -22 degree temperatures... no heated grips, no heated anything - just warm gloves and clothing! Dress properly and enjoy...

I ride a snowmobile...you can't use snowmobile gear on a bike as it's too bulky. The boots won't allow you to shift or brake or remain on the pegs or transfer feel.

I don't agree with this personally.... i share gear between the two and have never had a problem, especially with gloves or mitts.

Which boots are you talking about??? If you're talking about Canadian Tire winter boots, I might agree... but boots designed for snowmobiling like Tobe's or others should have no problem on a bike. Yes, definitely stiffer than a dirt bike boot, but not much different than the feeling of breaking in new dirt bike boots.

EDIT - re-reading your post you are talking about racing - that's a different story; I agree 100 percent with you there. But riding a bike on a highway taking your time enjoying the ride - layer up and enjoy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom