I am definitely an idiot...and now I need insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

I am definitely an idiot...and now I need insurance

Ok I have approached this whole thing backwards. And now I have damage control to do and need lots of advice please.

Backstory: I used to ride off road years ago and the occasional road and highway up in the Parry Sound area the early 80's. Well before leisure vehicle insurance was required and trail permits became fashion. That's my riding experience. Otherwise I've been driving with a full G-class license for 34 years (yes I'm 50). And yes I'm realizing car experience does not equate to motorcycle experience. Anyhow my brother has been riding since 2013 and has been bugging me to get a bike and ride with him. I've always loved his Victory. And my stepfather wouldn't be averse to me riding around with him on his Harley. So one day I woke up and decided to go window shopping. No M1 written, no riding course. NO clue about insurance, CC's, graduated licensing, etc. How dangerous could window shopping be afterall? Well I hadn't known Victory closed the plant last year. Scarcity of supply kicks in. All rational thought goes out the window.

Present: This is where it gets STUPID. I can't find a new or slightly used Victory 8-Ball anywhere. So I buy the last brand new black Victory Octane in Ontario. Yep 1100cc. I rationalize with myself. I figure I'll learn on it...it's only a 3/4 bike. It's a cruiser at least, albeit a muscle cruiser. So while shopping hard to find OEM Victory accessories I stumble across a brand new Victory 8-Ball in the US. Yep I buy it too. All 1700cc. I figure it can "sit" while I learn on the Octane. Then I found this forum while exploring insurance options. And I start reading the horror stories and shock of the insurance quotes. And then I start reading about recommended started bikes, sizes, lack of riding experience and so on.

Future: I got the M1 written license end of February. Signed up for an approved M1 riding course with test included for early April. I can get my M2 on May 1st. I will take the advanced riding class in May/June for the extra riding time.

Advice: After reading many of the forum threads I realize I bought way too much bike. I'm not sure anyone will insure me... or more specifically that I want to afford the insurance. I only need the one bike insured and will let the other sit until I get my full M. Like I said scarcity of supply and I hate buying high mileage used. And buy the time I could ride the Vegas there would be nothing left but high mileage used (see how I rationalize...seems much like many of the noobs on here trying to justify their decisions). To clarify and confirm I'm not filthy rich hence caring how much my insurance will cost. Plus I want to ride for fun, gain experience and not kill myself or cause harm to others.

Admittedly it's only now that I'm looking to see how much a beginner bike in the sub-600cc (CBR250, CBR300, Ninja 300) range would cost. Yep a 3rd bike (used) maybe but something in the $3k range and with affordable insurance. I'll sell it after I get my full M and can afford the insurance on the larger bikes. But who knows maybe magically a broker or company out there will trust me not to do anything stupid on the Octane though? So that I can cut my teeth on that. Or maybe the Vegas is more of a classic cruiser and will have the better insurance rate? BTW I'm not planning on selling either bike. They can sit in controlled storage for another 18 months if things get too stupid insurance wise.

But I have a decision to make. Get a <600cc bike and insure or try to get one of the cruisers insured (if so who would you recommend as an insurer/broker) and ride according to skill set and experience (i.e. humble noob).

Thank you for any and all advice,

The Shamus

Cruisers that aren't made by HD are a bit better on insurance. Also engine size is different in the cruiser insurance world. The insurance on my 750 shadow is probably pretty close to what I would have been paying on a CBR300. You may be pleasantly surprised when you go insurance shopping.

Nobody will insure you for those bikes without riding experience.

Get your full M, a small bike and insurance you can afford and keep calling back at renewals to see if you like the new number. You are a lot older than I am so you might see reasonable rates after a few seasons. Best of luck.

Call around before you think you are sunk. No point in asking us all when a broker will give you an actual cost per year. Being 50 and cruiser bikes you'll be in a different boat than a 20 year old with a 300cc bike.

Good luck, lots of brokers and companies listed on this forum to get you going.

I just did a quote for an 8-Ball online with TD, 37 year old M2 with one year under my belt, $2284. Did the Octane after that and it was $2280. The moral of the story, cruisers aren't sport bikes.

Also take care if you're planning on storing bikes for a prolonged period of time. That comes with a whole set of potential issues.

Try the er6n (Kawasaki 650cc naked sport touring). That was my first bike after getting my M. Affordable insurance through Dalton Timmis with Intact. I'm selling the bike if you're interested :)

Nice bikes. Should be ok to get the Octane insured once you have the M2. How much will it cost? Not any more than the expense of buying two bikes. Lol.

Anyways, call a few brokers and get some quotes.

Dalton Timmis is a good place to make an inquiry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you JTR and all others for the advice and encouragement. I was half expecting to get lit up for the size of bikes I bought. This is a great community.

I'll have a go at the insurance once I finish the riding course and test on April 7-8. Technically can't get the M2 from the MoT until April 30th but I'll have the pass in hand plus the riding course completed. Worst case I wait the few weeks and watch the weather improve even more if I truly need the M2 issued even though I'll have met the requirements. Does anyone know, once you're on the insurers radar would they keep me at the higher quote if I went too early with an inquiry (i.e. before M2 is legally issued)?

P.S. roadrash that's a nice bike. Currently in a holding pattern until I get my M2 and shop the rates. Plus not sure if I'd be getting divorced if a 3rd bike showed up suddenly...as justified at it may be.

Last edited:
Something to consider: some insurance companies will insure you as an M2 rider during the time between passing the course and obtaining your M2. (April 9th-30th for you).

My biggest question is this, how can you have not one, but two beautiful bikes in the garage just begging to be ridden, and not give in? You must have iron will power lol I couldn't do it.

There are two things to consider -- insurance cost and your safety. I'm guessing the difference between $750 a year and 1500/yr isn't going to kill someone who can afford to sit on 2 new Victory's so I'll keep that advice to a minimum.

Insurance: A married 50 year old man with a clean driving record should be able to find insurance on an 1100cc cruiser for about $1500/year if you bundle with home and auto. Shop around, check the brokers who hang out on this site.

Safety: Riding experience from 30 years ago isn't worth much - 20 years abstinence you get your virginity back. You have a powerful 800lb machine that handles like cube van on a windy day (relatively speaking). It makes sense to get a small bike for a year first season, get comfortable with the road, other drivers, and riding in general. It will take a year to experience a few 'reaction' situations -- expect to make a few mistakes. On a Virago/Marauder/Rebel 250, you'll be moving slower and manhandling 1/3rd the mass. Don't let anyone tell you these bikes don't cut it -- I did a year on one teaching my son, I had a blast -- stayed on 80kmh roads so the top speed of 125 was OK.

Try that for a year, or a few thousand KM. You'll be a better rider and your chances of crashing will be dramatically reduced.

I was half expecting to get lit up for the size of bikes I bought. This is a great community.

I put it down to you buying a crusier (or two). If it had been a SS i dare say the flames would have ensued.

I don't think your insurance will be the big issue. I got quoted 950/year on the Octane and 1200/year on the Vegas 8 ball. Both with full coverage and 500 deductible.
As a comparison, I currently pay $550 ish for the same coverage on my 2009 Versys 650. The octane won't be too bad for you I think.
As to starting on a bigger bike, if your maturity matches your age, you'll likely be fine. Pay attention in your classes and soak up everything you can. If you aren't comfortable after that maybe a third bike will be a good idea since you likely won't be happy if you drop a brand new Victory.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

My biggest question is this, how can you have not one, but two beautiful bikes in the garage just begging to be ridden, and not give in? You must have iron will power lol I couldn't do it.

I know right???!!!! ;)

Safety is a consideration for sure. I'll probably garage the Victory's for this season and learn to ride on something much smaller and nimbler. Great advice Mad Mike. I don't really care how I look. It's the skills, experience and confidence I'm going after.

Last edited:
I too am a new rider who has ventured to the road after being on my tracks for my whole bike life, I am 44yrs young and picked up a VFR 800 for my first bike. I shopped around for insurance prior to buying said bike too. There were very many drastic differences between many companies. I fairly certain once you do your homework that you don’t need to go the small starter bikes if you don’t want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to starting on a bigger bike, if your maturity matches your age, you'll likely be fine. Pay attention in your classes and soak up everything you can. If you aren't comfortable after that maybe a third bike will be a good idea since you likely won't be happy if you drop a brand new Victory.

This is true. My first was a 750lb 1700cc Harley. Just take your time. Don't be an idiot. Getting insurance won't be an issue.

Keep in mind lots of companies won't insure anything higher than 750cc with an m2 regardless of age

All I can say is I'm freaking jealous!
Also call a few of the brokers that support the site for quotes, make calls rather than the online options. Also try Dejardins.
And welcome to the forum!

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom