New bike suggestion! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New bike suggestion!

Simplesam

Hey all, been riding for 5 Years now on my Ninja 300. Looking to upgrade and been eyeing the 2018 Yamaha MT 07. Thoughts on the bike or what’s comparable? Is the MT09 too much? Unfortunately up here in Bracebridge, ON there are no test rides at the Yamaha dealership.

With 5 years experience go with the mt09 the 7 is more suited to new riders

Last edited:
They're different animals (pretty tame parallel twin versus wheelie-happy triple). I'd go with the '09 as well but your wants and tastes may vary.

As always, check with your insurance provider first. Get quotes for both.

As for test rides, if you have your M you might be able to wrangle a test out of the guys at Two Wheel Motorsport in Guelph. It's a bit of a haul from Bracebridge to Guelph but it would tell you a ton. Plus, if you bought it there the ride home would be epic :)

Give them a call and see if they'll give you a ride.

Ninja 300 is a beginner bike in a standard sport touring configuration, Yamaha MTs, Ninjas (non ZX or H2 models) , Suzuki SV, and Honda CBs are all natural progressions.

That said, lots of riders use Ninja 300s to get into motorcycling - your wants and needs were primarily learning. Your next bike should reflect your wants and needs for the next few years - figuring those out will help you zero in on a bike.

For example, will you do any touring? Is you riding mostly short trips around town trips? Do you need something OK for gravel roads (Gravenhurst)? Are you looking for hooligan riding capability or would 2x the power of your Ninja 300 do fine? Does style trump functionality? Budget? What delaerships are accessible to you?

These are all questions I'd ask before providing my 2 cents on someone's next bike.

the 847cc triple will put a huge grin on your face

but there's nothing wrong with the MT07
some say it's a better all around bike

the 09 while tamed a bit by better fuel mapping
and improved suspension
but it's still a wheelie happy hooligan machine

Mt07 for more linear and tamed ride

Mt09 for hooligan wheelie machine

Check the difference in insurance quotes too...might push you more towards one over the other ;)

With your experience and where you started you may well buy the 7 and wish you got the 9.

FZ9/MT9 is a riot and you don't have to be doing wheelies on it to put a smile on your face.

I assume by 'too much' you`re asking if it's too much bike to handle? Pretty subjective as everyone is different, but i jumped up to one from an R3 if that helps.

Last edited:
I’ll be doing some touring and a lot of highway riding. To and from work is an hour in each direction. I learned on the 300 and was completely underwhelmed, always revving so high on hwy just cruising so a little more power would be awesome plus a little bit of hooliganism would be nice. This bike is like to to last a lot longer than my 300

I’ll be doing some touring and a lot of highway riding. To and from work is an hour in each direction. I learned on the 300 and was completely underwhelmed, always revving so high on hwy just cruising so a little more power would be awesome plus a little bit of hooliganism would be nice. This bike is like to to last a lot longer than my 300
you might want to look at the fj 09 if there's a lot of highway.
i'm 1 hour commute (maybe more like 30m to 1h) but part of it lakeshore, part of it highway and mainly stop and go... so wind isn't a big issue for me.

fj09 is more tame, so it doesnt autowheelie (at least from my demo ride) and still handles great without being overly heavy.

I think id really only consider the mt10 for touring centric purposes, you can go all hooligan at other times.

I would also suggest something more aerodynamic friendly if you're going to do lots of highway or at least be prepared to get a decent screen.

If you have your heart set on this lineup then consider taking the back/side roads. More fun anyways.

I romped both the Tracer09 (FJ09) and MT09 (FZ09) - they are now the same bike other than a few additions for touring on the FJ. The FJ has more element protection (wider fairing and a windscreen), slightly better suspension adjustments, a bigger gas tank, and ergos for touring comfort.

There is no difference other than a few lbs for the stuff mentioned above. You might hear 'snatchier' throttle on the MT, that's compared to older MTs that didn't have the programmable throttle. They now have the same ABC throttle modes.

If touring is on your list, the Tracer/FJ is a no brainer -- it will also have more aftermarket goodies.

Ducati Multistrada 900! If you are going to be commuting that far on the highway daily I would 1000% steer away from nakeds and look more to something with wind protection. I'd also really try and first test-ride the bike on the highway. A very significant factor to wind noise all depends upon your own body dimensions compared to the windscreen and where the wind comes off its edge and hit your body, head, neck (into the helmet's neckroll), etc..

I'd also suggest 700cc might be a bit low for highway duty, but also don't forget Fz-07 and Fz-09 can both have their ECU's 'chipped.'

i have an FZ07 (currently for sale) and it's fun on country roads, but a pain on the highway...i added a windscreen but not having any fairings is brutal...at least in my opinion...personally, i prefer the FZ6R which i had before this one (but crashed) with it's full fairings and inline 4 cylinder...

Ducati Multistrada 900! If you are going to be commuting that far on the highway daily I would 1000% steer away from nakeds and look more to something with wind protection. I'd also really try and first test-ride the bike on the highway. A very significant factor to wind noise all depends upon your own body dimensions compared to the windscreen and where the wind comes off its edge and hit your body, head, neck (into the helmet's neckroll), etc..

I'd also suggest 700cc might be a bit low for highway duty, but also don't forget Fz-07 and Fz-09 can both have their ECU's 'chipped.'
Ducatis are cool, in an artful kind of way. I never recommend a Ducati to anyone -- if you need a Ducati, you know you need a Ducati. A 950 Multistrata, is $17K+delivery and dealer prep, that's 50% more that a better performing, more dependable and longer lasting Japanese bike.

A used Triumph Street Triple is also something to consider. Kind of splits the difference engine wise between those two bike but has better suspension and brake components than both of those models. Looks are subjective, but I think the FZ07 is the best looking one.

I was in a similar predicament a couple years ago and ended up buying a 2012 Street Triple. But at that time, the FZ07 was new and used bikes were not really available. Ended up getting a much better bike over all for less money.

i have an FZ07 (currently for sale) and it's fun on country roads, but a pain on the highway...i added a windscreen but not having any fairings is brutal...at least in my opinion...personally, i prefer the FZ6R which i had before this one (but crashed) with it's full fairings and inline 4 cylinder...

No fairing is awesome!!! Weird at first but feels great once you're used to it. Only ever gets tiresome for me if I'm touring and putting down 8-9 hours days.

As mentioned by others, MT-09 (or FZ-09) for city, FJ-09 (Tracer) for touring.
Very competitive pricing, especially for the naked. Small tank sucks on it for long distance though. With that said, one of my friends did a 6,000km Arkansas trip with me on it last year and he was fine. Personally I would pick the FJ for the added comfort and better range although it definitely doesn't look as attractive as the MT.

Speaking of the Tracer, anyone know if we're getting the GT model in Canada? I don't see it on Yamaha's website.

Last edited:
per the FJ09 comments

I can confirm: it will not throttle wheelie in Standard Mode
rain mode is not really required as std is fine
A Mode can be downright hazardous if your loaded for touring
accidental wheelies are way too easy with weight at the rear

with a larger screen and heated grips
it makes for a pretty decent touring bike

and still a hoot to ride with that triple

Back
Top Bottom