RE: Kids Dirtbiking 15Practise Track vs SteelCityRiders | GTAMotorcycle.com

RE: Kids Dirtbiking 15Practise Track vs SteelCityRiders

Punisher

Site Supporter
RE: Kids Dirtbiking 15Practise Track vs SteelCityRiders

Hey everyone,
just wondering if anyone out there has kids that have rode at both the 15Practise Track and SteelCityRiders, and how the tracks compare.
Sounds like a great deal at SteelCityRiders, but with having to do 1 day marshaling for every family member (in my case 2, for my boys) and the fact that i also plan on doing a lot of road track days myself this year at TMP & SMP, i am just worried there will not be enough dirt or road track days in the year.
and maybe i am better off just taking my boys to the 15.
my boys have already rode a few times at the 15Practise Track on the kids track and they love it, i just cant find any vids of what the tracks (kids or adult) is like at SCR.

any feedback is appreciated.

regards,
Jason

IMG_2324 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Kids Dirtbiking 15Practise Track vs SteelCityRiders

I'm a member of steel city riders but haven't ridden at the 15 before.

First I think membership is full at SCR so that might be an issue but you could always get on the waiting list. Anyways the kid track is really rider friendly and a decent length with a couple small jumps. The dirt there is hardpack which isn't the greatest ever BUT it holds up well without being worked on constantly. I don't know how old your kids are but there's a lot of days where only a couple riders are out so they can ride the main track which is still beginner friendly. The trails are well laid out as well. There's a good Tuesday night school program as well that your kids would probably learn a lot from.

The club atmosphere is awesome and honestly the people are what makes the racing etc worth it. Zero egos with everyone having a good time and helping each other out.

I'll try to find some YouTube clips that show the kids track. The club uses some of it for the off-road races so there should be something out there.

hey thanks,
i would appreciate any vids you could find, i did just double checked on their website and i see there are some pics, and a vid i will have to review, hopefully it covers both the kids and adult track.
my boys are 6 and 9, and last year was there first year actually riding on a track (the15), and they picked it up pretty well.
i am on the waiting list for SCR, i just have to make a decision, it just sucks you have to pay first before seeing what dates are available for your mandatory marshaling days, and for first year members we have to cover marshaling at the away events, which all look far lol.
but i have heard the atmosphere at the club is awesome, and it was awesome at the 15 as well, so far the dirtbiking community has been great.

anyway will check back later,
thanks again

check out motopark in chatsworth ont and AMO if they want to start racing.

i would definitely like to check out motopark in Chatsworth, but thats a bit of a drive from brampton, i am hoping SCR works out as it is a lot closer and that could be our local track, and save Motopark for a special weekend.

hey thanks,
i would appreciate any vids you could find, i did just double checked on their website and i see there are some pics, and a vid i will have to review, hopefully it covers both the kids and adult track.
my boys are 6 and 9, and last year was there first year actually riding on a track (the15), and they picked it up pretty well.
i am on the waiting list for SCR, i just have to make a decision, it just sucks you have to pay first before seeing what dates are available for your mandatory marshaling days, and for first year members we have to cover marshaling at the away events, which all look far lol.
but i have heard the atmosphere at the club is awesome, and it was awesome at the 15 as well, so far the dirtbiking community has been great.

anyway will check back later,
thanks again

I watched a bunch on youtube and couldn't find anything that really lets you see the kids track. Your older boy on the KX would move to the main track pretty quickly I think. I get what your saying with the work days but usually there is enough dates that one or two should fit into your schedule easily, if they were up for it I'd bring your wife to the work day and your boys to race. It would make the day a little more worthwhile, but honestly flagging and watching the races isn't all that bad of a way to spend a Sunday. With the work day comes a pretty low membership cost so it's easily worth it.

Both Motopark which was mentioned and Gopher Dunes have pretty awesome kids tracks.

Do you ride mx too?

Looking forward to meeting you once the season starts :)

Nice, I assume it's your first year with the club? Are you planning on racing or just riding for fun at the club track? If you see number 811 on a Yamaha that'll be me, my names Tyler if you want to come say hi.

Hey thanks for looking into some vids.
My brother in law lent me his HondaCRF230, which I rode with my boys a few times last year at some OFTR Trails north of barrie, before I took them to the 15PractiseTrack…at which point there was no turning back lol, the love track, plus I can relax and let them ride at their own pace and just hang back and deal with any problems as they happen, as opposed to getting worried about a bike breaking down or someone getting hurt and being deep into a remote trail.
I would like to start riding the dirt tracks as well once I am comfortable with my boys riding and judgement, they are young and fearless, for now I just want to keep an eye one them for a bit.
However I do track my street bike, a GSXR750, and that’s my other problem with time, TMP Cayuga and SMP Shannonville have not posted their Motorcycle Track Dates, and I want to squeeze in a few days for myself as well, I am just hoping with the limited dates they usually have available, they don’t collide with the SCR Marshalling dates. I wonder if you have the ability to switch your marshaling dates if required.
I have heard about Gopher Dunes as well, I will check them out, I wonder if they have an annual membership option.
But like you said, even with the Marshaling obligation, it sounds like the SteelCityRiders is hard to beat for value.

Thanks again!
I will let you know which direction I go.

Jason

Nice, I assume it's your first year with the club? Are you planning on racing or just riding for fun at the club track? If you see number 811 on a Yamaha that'll be me, my names Tyler if you want to come say hi.

First year, yeah! And just for fun this year. It's my first year in dirt. Road racing is enough racing for me haha.

I'm 816...also on a Yamaha :)

one more quick question, i see Whelan Farms (Rockton/Dundas) listed on the Event Schedule, where is that, is it just west of Hamilton, halfway to cambridge? i tried finding it on Google Maps and it did not come up, so i just tried Rockton, but i want to be sure.

jason

I missed that race last year, but i believe you are right that it's northwest of Hamilton somewhere near hwy 6.

Btw, I pm'd you last night.

If I'm not mistaken Whelan Farms is at the South-East corner of Highway 5 and Woodhill.

thank you very much!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, me and my 2 boys just joined SCR and picked my 2 works days (at least my youngest is exempt).
Looks like SCR will be our home track but hopefully we will still get a chance to try some of the others as well.
and hopefully it wont be such a wet season and constant threat of extreme thunder showers so i can enjoy a few dry days at TMP Cayuga and SMP Shannonville.

Jason

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, me and my 2 boys just joined SCR and picked my 2 works days (at least my youngest is exempt).
Looks like SCR will be our home track but hopefully we will still get a chance to try some of the others as well.
and hopefully it wont be such a wet season and constant threat of extreme thunder showers so i can enjoy a few dry days at TMP Cayuga and SMP Shannonville.

Jason

I was with the SCR many yrs ago.Great group of people! Volunteer to help with the Oshweken trial.Lots of easy fun for you and your kids.

Congrats Jason. Hopefully you all will have a blast like my son and I do.

Come say hi if you see a white KTM, #321

awesome and thanks, i will have to start making a list of people to keep an eye out for :)

Back
Top Bottom