Mcdougall Insurance? 1500 a year for 600cc SS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mcdougall Insurance? 1500 a year for 600cc SS?

HonDerpa500r

Has anyone ever heard of Mcdougall Insurance?
A friend of a friend is apparently paying $3000 a year between his car and 600cc super sport, as a new rider.

Was just curious if anyone's heard/used them before.

I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow and get a quote once I can confirm with the guy that it's that insurance company.

I'll post back with my quote once I get it

Something smells fishy there. 3000 year for a new rider on a SS would be a steal by itself.

Never heard of them and indeed, something smells fishy. Is you friend located in the GTA ?

Never heard of them and indeed, something smells fishy. Is you friend located in the GTA ?

Burlington area

Regardless if it's fishy or not. If I can legally get a SS on the road for that price, I'll take any insurance.

Last edited:
Regardless if it's fishy or not. If I can legally get a SS on the road for that price, I'll take any insurance.

Gotta wonder if your friend pulled a fast one on them or something with regards to the exact make/model/cc of the bike or something, however.

If they underwrote a bike that doesn't turn out to be based on reality... if he ever actually needed the policy, he's going to find himself cancelled and out in the cold in about 10 seconds flat.

But yes, I'd be interested to know what underwriter actually took the business myself as well. 25 or not, a new rider on a supersport is a recipe for $500-$1000/month quotes.

Gotta wonder if your friend pulled a fast one on them or something with regards to the exact make/model/cc of the bike or something, however.

If they underwrote a bike that doesn't turn out to be based on reality... if he ever actually needed the policy, he's going to find himself cancelled and out in the cold in about 10 seconds flat.

But yes, I'd be interested to know what underwriter actually took the business myself as well. 25 or not, a new rider on a supersport is a recipe for $500-$1000/month quotes.

I've put my info in on their website to get a quote, so when I get my own quote from them tomorrow I'll post here and let everyone know.

they are a broker
mostly in east of GTA, Cobourg, Belleville
I was with them for ~20 years
until they fired the gal who took care of me
service went downhill and I switched brokers
they seem to push you to Intact
who I became very quickly not fond of

they are a broker
mostly in east of GTA, Cobourg, Belleville
I was with them for ~20 years
until they fired the gal who took care of me
service went downhill and I switched brokers
they seem to push you to Intact
who I became very quickly not fond of

If they are brokers, then I wonder who is insuring OP's 25 year old friend on a 600cc SS. I only managed to get "FU" quotes by all brokers, even after considering bundling my home and auto. Maybe Burlington is not an insurance trap ?

I wonder who is insuring OP's 25 year old friend on a 600cc SS. I only managed to get "FU" quotes by all brokers, even after considering bundling my home and auto. Maybe Burlington is not an insurance trap ?

That’s what leads me to believe something is fishy somewhere.

Things don’t add up.

I've been with them a few years, they use Wawanesa for bikes. They were covering an 04 ZX10R for me (late 40's) for 800 bucks.

I've been with them a few years, they use Wawanesa for bikes. They were covering an 04 ZX10R for me (late 40's) for 800 bucks.

Ah, that makes sense. Wawanesa is cheap but requires one to be motorcycle licensed for atleast 6 years. I am short 1.5 years.

Maybe OP got liability only? Granted I think the big charge with bikes is more or less in the accident benefits category (doesn't cost them much to replace a bike, but it does to fix a human).

It must be through Wawanesa.

They have great rates for SS 1000cc and under if you have been licensed 6 or more years.

So if OP's friend was licensed at 19 or before it makes sense.

Except OP said “new rider”. Presumably they’d only credit actual M class licence years towards that, right?

If he just got his M but pulled a fast one on them trying to say “oh yeah, I’ve been licenced since I was 16” (meaning, his G) then there’s probably a material misrepresentation thing happening, no?

Last edited:
Except OP said “new rider”. Presumably they’d only credit actual M class licence years towards that, right?

If he just got his M but pulled a fast one on them trying to say “oh yeah, I’ve been licenced since I was 16” (meaning, his G) then there’s probably a material misrepresentation thing happening, no?

To get a realistic quote you need to provide your drivers license

To get a realistic quote you need to provide your drivers license

Indeed however it’s been my experience that some insurers may write the policy based on good faith information initially, and then do their legwork to confirm at all afterwards – if that was the scenario, OP’s friend is in for a rude awakening.

Either that or he has actually held his motorcycle license for a long time before he actually started riding and the underwriter is accepting that as proof of “experience” even though realistically he has none.

Something *still* not adding up, to me at least.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom