in which months do most used motorcycle sales occur (private deals) ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

in which months do most used motorcycle sales occur (private deals) ?

roadrash

Hey guys, out of curiosity, from your experience, when do people start shopping for used motorcycles ? Is it April when the sales pick up or even later around summer time ?

Feb-March seems super slow.

Thanks

I just sold one of mine after 3 days on Kijiji this weekend. I think spring fever will be starting soon.

Was asking $6499 and got $6200 without safety cert. was willing to take $6000 so I am happy with the deal.

The issue is more that a lot of people have an unrealistic idea of what their bike is worth - especially this time of year. If you price your bike right, anytime is a GOOD time to sell. Starting in late Feb. things get more active has been my experience. With the warmish weather the second half of Feb. this year, things should be rolling along pretty well about now. You still gotta price it right though :)
Do your homework before you put it up for sale. That will help you sell it fast.

Thanks guys. Weather got cold again after Feb, but hoping things pick-up within the next 2-3 weeks. I did do research and feel that I've priced it right.

right after the Motorcycle Show in February. Like 2 weeks ago. I just sold mine in Autotrader. Riders get the early BUG so put it on ASAP

right after the Motorcycle Show in February. Like 2 weeks ago. I just sold mine in Autotrader. Riders get the early BUG so put it on ASAP

Already have mine up for a while now, on both kijiji and autotrader. I prefer kijiji over autotrader. Maybe it's just me, but Autotrader's app and even the web GUI is a pain to use. It's riddled with bugs.

The issue is more that a lot of people have an unrealistic idea of what their bike is worth - especially this time of year. If you price your bike right, anytime is a GOOD time to sell. Starting in late Feb. things get more active has been my experience. With the warmish weather the second half of Feb. this year, things should be rolling along pretty well about now. You still gotta price it right though :)
Do your homework before you put it up for sale. That will help you sell it fast.

Holy moly, I feel like this year is the worst I've ever seen it. The average bike on Kijiji right now is 30% to 50% overpriced

Kijiji is by far the most popular platform for motorcycles, I don't even bother with anything else. Sold 2 in the last two months.
It doesn't really matter what time of the years it is. If you come up with a reasonable price you will sell it. May take few days longer in winter but it will go.

The type of the motorcycle determines how meany silly inquiries you will get.
For example, I had much fewer emails for the KLR650 but they were more to the point.
Whereas 3/4 of the emails asking for my GSX-R750 were idiotic. But in the end, they both sold and roughly for what I wanted.

Holy moly, I feel like this year is the worst I've ever seen it. The average bike on Kijiji right now is 30% to 50% overpriced

Buy high and sell higher!! Especially if it's a small sports bike. Then you ask for more than the new stock price. It's the rules.

I bought a bike in February. Also sold one in February...super quick as well.
Nothing slow for me.

I looked at your ad in the classifieds. You should clean the bike up and take some better pictures on your driveway or street. Your bike doesn't show that well right now pulled out of the shed, beside a fallen over fence, dirty wheels etc. Personally I would find sentences easier to read as well. You have a one owner bike with service history, present it that way and show pride of ownership and it will generate interest.

Btw Sturgess has a new 2016 with an extended warranty for $1000 more.

I looked at your ad in the classifieds. You should clean the bike up and take some better pictures on your driveway or street. Your bike doesn't show that well right now pulled out of the shed, beside a fallen over fence, dirty wheels etc. Personally I would find sentences easier to read as well. You have a one owner bike with service history, present it that way and show pride of ownership and it will generate interest.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll need to wait till the weather gets better to click better pics. Backyard is very muddy because of the melted snow and battery is still on tender. Difficult to wash it and ride it or even walk it to the street at the moment. Worst case, I'll do that in April.

Edit: I removed some of the bad pics, and simplified the description. Bike has a 2 owner history, but 1st owner sold it to me almost brand new due to an illness. Didn't want to mention all of this on the ad. Price dropped. Appreciate the suggestions!

Last edited:
I think we're in the sweet months now. I had 3 bikes up for sale early November, I priced them all at the low point on Kijiji for the year and mileage. I sold 1 for asking (FJR), traded one for a Jeep (Goldwing), one ad expired (Gen III GSXR1300) with nothing but stupid lowball offers.

Last week 2 of the lowballers emailed me offers on the GSXR, one at my November asking price of $5500, the other at $6300. Today, you can't find a Gen III listed anywhere for less than $8K.

Same thing happened the year before. I listed my '11 Ninja 250 for $2500 in the fall, the ad expired, I relisted in March last year and sold in in an hour for $2900.

I'm planning to relist the GSXR this week at the lowest price on Autotrader/Kijiji for the year and mileage. I update if I sell.

November thru February: Mostly overpriced bikes that the owner has been trying to sell since last fall, lots of months old listings, possibly willing to deal on prices still, or just as likely to give you the "Firm, if I don't get what I want for it I'll hold onto it until spring", even though it's still going to be 20% overpriced come spring. YMMV.

First February warm snap thru March: Tons of fresh listings of overpriced bikes that the sellers suddenly think will fetch top dollar because of spring fever. Some deals to be had if you can look through all the cruft.

Late March/spring weather actually arrives thru May: Peak listings, some sellers start to get desperate to sell their old ride to buy that new one they've drooling over. Sensible sellers start to lower their asking prices or become far more willing to deal on pricing. Still plenty of crackpots thinking that 10 year old beginner bike is worth $10K because it's "super customized".

May Thru August: Prices steady for the most part, still lots of buying/selling happening as the season is at it's peak. Lots of newbies coming onboard holding prices steady.

August & September: Prices start to sag as the end of the season is in sight. Still plenty of crazies out there who only rode to the nearest Tim Hortons twice all summer who now decide they don't really want a motorcycle anymore that decide their garage queen with 250KM/year on the odometer is still worth 99% of it's original price because "low mileage, mint condition bro".

October thru November: Lots of listings, people who simply don't want to bother with winterizing and storage are very willing to deal on price out of desperation to simply liquidate their bike...the smart ones know that after early November, it's a lost cause and they're going to own it until spring.

Repeat.

November thru February: Mostly overpriced bikes that the owner has been trying to sell since last fall, lots of months old listings, possibly willing to deal on prices still, or just as likely to give you the "Firm, if I don't get what I want for it I'll hold onto it until spring", even though it's still going to be 20% overpriced come spring. YMMV.

First February warm snap thru March: Tons of fresh listings of overpriced bikes that the sellers suddenly think will fetch top dollar because of spring fever. Some deals to be had if you can look through all the cruft.

Late March/spring weather actually arrives thru May: Peak listings, some sellers start to get desperate to sell their old ride to buy that new one they've drooling over. Sensible sellers start to lower their asking prices or become far more willing to deal on pricing. Still plenty of crackpots thinking that 10 year old beginner bike is worth $10K because it's "super customized".

May Thru August: Prices steady for the most part, still lots of buying/selling happening as the season is at it's peak. Lots of newbies coming onboard holding prices steady.

August & September: Prices start to sag as the end of the season is in sight. Still plenty of crazies out there who only rode to the nearest Tim Hortons twice all summer who now decide they don't really want a motorcycle anymore that decide their garage queen with 250KM/year on the odometer is still worth 99% of it's original price because "low mileage, mint condition bro".

October thru November: Lots of listings, people who simply don't want to bother with winterizing and storage are very willing to deal on price out of desperation to simply liquidate their bike...the smart ones know that after early November, it's a lost cause and they're going to own it until spring.

Repeat.

Very interesting analysis!

Agreed. Just looked at the advert and photos aren't the greatest. Give it a bath and take it out on to the street. Borrow someone else's phone/camera if that's all you're working with. Photograph everything and add more photos in a Dropbox folder. That way you can use more photos than the few that kijiji allows.

Obviously not everyone can make photos like this but here's an example of full coverage so there is no surprises for the buyer when they get there.: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ejqrmzg00cledt7/AAD2hOEKvj6dyE9joA1PB4QEa?dl=0
Sold that bike first week of February and had lots of real interest. Obviously lots of random email bull too.

Back
Top Bottom