Is this bike stock? KLR 650 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this bike stock? KLR 650

Moh230

Planning on getting a KLR 650 1st gen. I talked to the owner of this bike, seemed reasonable and nice. After negotiating the price, he told me instead of the motorcycle reading 19k km on the cluster, it reads around 80k because the previous owner replaced the cluster because the speedo went out. He told me that the kawi color is stock from the factory etc. It does look like a clean bike but I was wondering if it sounds too fishy?

Ad:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...50/1331040518?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Please let me know if any of you guys know someone whos selling a KLR. Really interested in one!

not really fishy but odd, its a 14yr old bike so a cluster change is certainly possible. I notice it was safety checked Aug/2018 , did not know you could go into the future and get a safety.

Colour is correct, the added accessories are nice and the price seems about right.
At 80K it likely blows some oil, ask for a compression/leakdown test to be performed and be prepared for a top end rebuild.

Looking quickly, it looks to me like the wear a 19,000 km bike. The foot peg and shifter rubber are in good shape, at 80K I think they should be showing some decent wear. Of course they could have been replaced, but i would be surprised if they were that worn out.

graphics are missing
gas tank looks like it's been painted
not necessarily bad news
but I'd wonder why?

UVIP shows registration and km history I think?
maybe order that first to try and determinate actual km

Colour is correct, the added accessories are nice and the price seems about right.
At 80K it likely blows some oil, ask for a compression/leakdown test to be performed and be prepared for a top end rebuild.

Agree for sure. I had a KLR which I sold at 75,000km and it was getting close to time for a rebuild. Compression was definitely low.

By the way, mine was a 2001, with way more accessories, which I sold for $3k in 2008. I would definitely negotiate a lower price.

Anyone who starts giving you info after negotiating the price...that would have affected the negotiations...well can you really trust anything they have to say ??? How much do you believe of what they told you up front ???

graphics are missing
gas tank looks like it's been painted
not necessarily bad news
but I'd wonder why?

UVIP shows registration and km history I think?
maybe order that first to try and determinate actual km

Paint is original, decals have been removed but that's easily fixed.
Yes, get a UVIP and find out what's really going on.
Price is right for age, but not for high mileage - now you're going on condition.
If the owner is willing to cough up for the cert and UVIP then you've got somewhere to start for final price.

The owner says it 19,000kms, the cluster was changed from a higher mileage bike so it reads 80,000. It may not be a high mileage bike.

Or the owner is spoofing and it had lots on it before the speedo failed.

The UVIP may not show correct miles either , depending on what was reported and when the odometer was changed.

Its a long drive to go to collins bay to take a look, but i'd do that before sussing out a purchase price.

If I had to swap out a cluster, I sure as heck wouldn’t buy a replacement with significantly higher mileage knowing that a much lower mileage part failed.
Also, regardless of the mileage of the replacement, I would have a well-documented record of the changeover (original failed part, photo and video evidence of old and replacement part) just so I could prove the actual mileage on selling the bike.
Maybe the seller did the same. Worth asking the question.

I did ask for the uvip. When I do get it, I'll let you guys know what it says. He said the uvip states the correct km (used only for 19k km). He also told me the previous owner took a picture of the original cluster when he changed it. This is the picture he sent me

https://imgur.com/a/ybqu1

It's very early in the season, there will be tons of KLR's out there for sale over the next couple of months so why bother with a bike that you have a bunch of questions about. Just pass on this and wait for a better deal.

Yup, just messages him and confirmed. He got the asking price for it and sold it. Oh well guess wasn't meant to be. At least I don't have to suspicious if I had bought the bike.

If I had to swap out a cluster, I sure as heck wouldn’t buy a replacement with significantly higher mileage knowing that a much lower mileage part failed.
Also, regardless of the mileage of the replacement, I would have a well-documented record of the changeover (original failed part, photo and video evidence of old and replacement part) just so I could prove the actual mileage on selling the bike.
Maybe the seller did the same. Worth asking the question.

I would if I said cluster was cheaper than one of similar mileage to the bike - of course I would disclose it all up front, though.

Planning on getting a KLR 650 1st gen. I talked to the owner of this bike, seemed reasonable and nice. After negotiating the price, he told me instead of the motorcycle reading 19k km on the cluster, it reads around 80k because the previous owner replaced the cluster because the speedo went out. He told me that the kawi color is stock from the factory etc. It does look like a clean bike but I was wondering if it sounds too fishy?

Ad:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...50/1331040518?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Please let me know if any of you guys know someone whos selling a KLR. Really interested in one!
your more than happy to look at mine :)

Sorry, completely off topic, but that "word" makes my head explode.

explodingheademoji.gif

Back
Top Bottom