Smart Turn System | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smart Turn System

joker

Has anyone bought and installed a smart turn system which will turn off your signal light off after turning? The youtube videos seem to be all positive .

Don't worry about it, you'll catch on dude. It's a new rider thing. I had the bike out for like 4 days last week, remembered to turn off signal every time, I was surprised at myself.

My 1990 Yamaha has a turn signal canceller as original equipment, and I put it back into operation when I restored the bike. I wish I hadn't. It has a knack of cancelling the signal just before I actually reach the spot where I want to make the turn.

Mine has auto sense off turn signals. Bit of a mixed bag. Most of the time I switch them off. Other times I leave it. Sometimes it does not work well. Mostly on things like a long left turn lane at a intersection it will turn off. I swear it is testing me!

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

I had one on my bike for the last few years, but then it stopped working late last year for some reason. I was one of the models that also flashed my rear signals when the brake was activated in order to get the attention of traffic behind you.

I must admit I miss it. Although I do remember to cancel my signals 99.9% of the time, that 0.01% of the time you forget is usually when you're pulling into a big gathering of bikes and you make yourself look like a newb. ;)

I'm not a fan of adding non essential electronics to a factory system. I've seen too many bad wiring jobs cause gremlins down the road.
Learn to cancel your own signals, it's not a biggie and will become second nature with time and practice.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

You are the best smart turn system. Plus, free and easy to install.

Learn to cancel your own signals, it's not a biggie and will become second nature with time and practice.

Even the best and most experienced riders forget to cancel their signals on occasion. The reason you don't see it more often is that increasingly more and more bikes auto-cancel.

The one thing that I liked about many of these systems however, like I mentioned, is the signal-light flash option that they usually include - anything that gets the attention of clueless cagers behind me to tell them I'm slowing down is a good thing.

Don't forget that on the M2X test, there is a specific window for when you're supposed to cancel turn signals.
Also, in real traffic, it can be confusing to others if your automated system cancels at the wrong time.

Thank you for everyone`s input however I don`t think anyone has used the Smart Turn System which was what I am interested in .

I didn't realize it's a specific device you were referring to.

https://www.safer-turn.com/us/

It looks like they put some intelligence into this one, so I can see how it might perform better than all the others I'd heard of before. Also explains the price. Sorry, obviously I have no experience with it.

FOCUS
You will be able to focus on the road and stop looking at the dashboard or pressing the off-switch.

I focus on the road and don't need to look at my dash to cancel my turn signal (which is muscle memory at this point).

I focus on the road and don't need to look at my dash to cancel my turn signal (which is muscle memory at this point).

Haha, switching from my K75 to the Ape, muscle memory was not my friend. BMW had the turn signal cancelling button in the same location where everybody else puts the start button (and the horn where everybody else puts turn signals).

BMW
61311459462.jpg

Everybody else
92358d1456816819-how-retrofit-trs-minih1-hid-projectors-into-your-1x98-848-1456816827892.jpg

Last edited:
Older model? BMW was dragged kicking and screaming into using the same turn signal switch location and function that everyone else uses. I think the S1000RR was one of the first to switch. BMW probably figured (probably correctly) that current owners of Japanese bikes would not tolerate their old turn signal switch layout.

The rental 2007-ish F800ST that I had in Europe for a couple of weeks several years ago had their old turn signal switch arrangement, and as a non-BMW owner, I cursed it the whole time. I noted at the recent bike show that the current F800 bikes use the normal (same as everyone else) turn signal switch.

Older model? BMW was dragged kicking and screaming into using the same turn signal switch location and function that everyone else uses. I think the S1000RR was one of the first to switch. BMW probably figured (probably correctly) that current owners of Japanese bikes would not tolerate their old turn signal switch layout.

1987 IIRC. Once you got used to it, I actually preferred the BMW layout, but it added unnecessary distraction when switching between bikes (and much horning when switching back to the bm).

This!

1987 IIRC. Once you got used to it, I actually preferred the BMW layout ...

... and the signal cancel system on the 1980's K bikes is controlled by the speedometer, it never cancels at an inappropriate time because it uses your road speed and distance traveled to determine when to self cancel.

My 1990 Yamaha uses a sensor from the speedometer, too. The distance that it is preset to cancel the signal at, is just short of what I'd like it to be, and you can't do anything about it other than disconnect the sensor.

I'd rather have it set to a distance longer than what people normally leave the signal on for, and rely on the rider to cancel it when they want it cancelled, so that it is only there as a backup and only cancels if the rider actually forgets.

Back
Top Bottom