Pants & jacket for hot weather riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pants & jacket for hot weather riding?

CriticalCore

My current gear is mostly for cool weather with basically winter pants like I used to wear in the snow during school.
Anything in particular that helps to deal with hot wind?

Mesh gear is a good place to start, you loose the protection of leather but gain ventilation.

I took my mesh jacket/pants to Thailand in 46 degree weather and i was good, except at red lights :(

If you're looking to stick with leather look at the perforated items to get better airflow.

I have some spendy Klim stuff that works for all season but before that had a cheaper Olympia jacket that did the same. Mesh doesn’t feel substantial enough for me and as long as there’s vents galore in a thicker jacket I find all is fine. Make sure you have vents in the pants too, it really helps.

3 things to consider: Colour, textiles, design.

Colour. This is the main factor. Dark colors absorb heat, you can't fight this. Black, navy, racing green etc are darks, they will always be hot. going from black to grey (as shown below) will make a world of difference.

1920021.JPG
5095-000_Gray_01.jpg

2) Textiles. Jackets are made from leather or a woven fabric. Textile jackets vent and breather better than leather, so they are cooler. Textiles are also more versatile when it comes to jacket construction, this makes it easier for jacket makers to add front facing vents.

3) Design. A well designed jacket will have a removable liner, vents in the arms, pectoral area, shoulder blades and sometimes lower back. On better jackets these will be large, zippered and domed. Leather jackets have fewer front vents, I've seen riders solve this with a $20 gizmo called Ventz.

don't forget what you wear under your jacket and riding pants. shorts/underwear and t-shirts that wick away sweat are great for hot weather. you can buy them at walmart, old navy, no need to buy expensive ones.

don't forget what you wear under your jacket and riding pants. shorts/underwear and t-shirts that wick away sweat are great for hot weather. you can buy them at walmart, old navy, no need to buy expensive ones.

Ah thats a good idea, textile gear with vents and some moisture wicking clothes under em. Just need warm weather now lol.

For those interested in the protection of leather, without all the sweat, I have an older Rev'it Tarmac leather jacket and loved it... basically a racing suit jacket with full perforations except on the arms. Rev'it no longer makes it, but has something very similar (minus the speed hump)
Check it out:
https://www.revitsport.com/en/men/jacket-akira-air-vintage.html#078
It was great on the hottest, most humid summer days. Get's chilly at night without the liner though.

I'll add my vote for Olympia Airglide gear. Mesh pants, jacket and gloves with Alpinestars SMX ankle high boots. This make killer temps and high humidity tolerable when you are moving, slow traffic and stop and go in town is still brutal.

I have a 1.5l hydration bag in the rear pocket of the jacket with the tube up my back and over my shoulder. This make on the fly sipping possible and this is crucial to staying hydrated.

What I haven't tried so far, but plan to this season, are evaporative vests worn under the jacket. Soak them in water, wring out and flow of air provides some additional relief according to several riders I know.

Back
Top Bottom