Honda TRAC forks | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda TRAC forks

Knight

I have a 85 nighthawk 650 and I'm curious when should I rebuild them I'm not finding much info.
they only leave a few small rings of oil on the shafts if it hasn't been ridden in awhile (3-4+ weeks) they are smooth the shafts aren't scratched or pitted. and I know theirs a bit more to these TRAC forks. Do they need a rebuild or maybe just seals

How old is the oil in them? If you don't know when they were last done, I'd say now is a good time.

I rebuilt (refreshed? dissassemble/clean/oil/seals/reassemble) the shocks on my 82 450 nighthawk and it was simple (the only trick was to hold the cap in a vice to make it easy to thread in while compressing the spring). Not sure if the 650 forks are substantially different.

It looks like the 450 had the air adjustable caps, but not the TRAC anti-dive. Looking at the 650 parts fiche reminded me that the anti-dive just about doubles the number of parts in the forks

Not sure the anti-dive ever did anything om my Sabre. If you don't know how fresh the fork oil is, might as well change it. Seals would depend on how much oil is making the rings.

Not sure the anti-dive ever did anything om my Sabre. If you don't know how fresh the fork oil is, might as well change it. Seals would depend on how much oil is making the rings.

It worked well enough on my VF500F for me to consider them worthwhile, the air adjustment too. Can't compare to cartridge forks of course, but even today they don't put cartridge forks in a lot of bikes.

Sorry this isn't helpful OP, if I had the manual I would study it for a while and make a suggestion. If *you* have the manual, I'd start there and see how you feel about rebuilding them (and if it can be done with normal tools)

Just be carefull taking the TRAC apart..its just got o rings and valves... clean it good and make sure all of the sliders in the caliper are clean, greased and move freely..dont skimp on that

I have a 85 nighthawk 650 and I'm curious when should I rebuild them I'm not finding much info.
they only leave a few small rings of oil on the shafts if it hasn't been ridden in awhile (3-4+ weeks) they are smooth the shafts aren't scratched or pitted. and I know theirs a bit more to these TRAC forks. Do they need a rebuild or maybe just seals

Its 33 years old - maybe its time ?

Ok thanks for the info the anti dive seems too work I've tried it on 1 and 4 and it does seem to help. I'll try some new fluid then go from their.

It shouldn't be a huge deal to rebuilt.
I can source seals / orings from a local supplier.

As long as someone is making a DL oil seal for those forks - it should be quite possible.

Don't take the TRAC apart, there's nothing in there that you can repair that's going to help.
DO take the forks apart, put in new bushings, seals and oil.
Check the fork tubes for nicks, scratches and wear. A quick and dirty fix is superglue or have them rechromed.
All Balls, Race Tech and I'm sure others can provide the parts.

Don't take the TRAC apart, there's nothing in there that you can repair that's going to help.
DO take the forks apart, put in new bushings, seals and oil.
Check the fork tubes for nicks, scratches and wear. A quick and dirty fix is superglue or have them rechromed.
All Balls, Race Tech and I'm sure others can provide the parts.

I disagree....there may be crap in there...why do half the job...at least u will have piece of mind knowing you did the complete job....if u need O rings..take the old ones to able O ring....fraction of the price from Honda

I disagree....there may be crap in there...why do half the job...at least u will have piece of mind knowing you did the complete job....if u need O rings..take the old ones to able O ring....fraction of the price from Honda

Its just fork oil inside, flush it out with some Varsol and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom