Need a new helmet! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a new helmet!

CHRIS63

Need to upgrade from my old helmet, I don't want to spend too much money.

I've been eyeing avg, voss, and other helmets around $300.

What do you recommend? Thanks!

edit:
Full face size
L

You didn't say how sporty you want to go but for your money I don't think you can do badly with an HJC lid or some of the Bells that are on sale (Bell Star can be had for your price at GP bikes online for example)

One that fits YOUR head.

Need to upgrade from my old helmet, I don't want to spend too much money.

I've been eyeing avg, voss, and other helmets around $300.

What do you recommend? Thanks!

edit:
Full face size
L

Brand and model will dictate size. I've been a medium fitting in one model then a large in another model but the same brand.

If you're looking for safety and value, there is some really good objective testing funded by the U.K. government here: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

If you jump on a spring sale of previous years models or older-new stock to save some money, make sure to check the manufacturing date. The general rule is 5 years old...but I have also never seen any real study to prove a helmet is no good after 6 years. You'll probably wear out the padding before the helmet itself is not safe anymore. Obviously more current safety ratings have newer testing processes, which is a plus.

a helmet should be a must try on purchase
like others have mentioned, there's more to proper fit than size
buying online because it's easy and cheap may result in a helmet you really don't like

and it's personal preference of course
I like Nolan and Shoei, they fit me well and offer VG crash protection
and if you find them on sale, may be within your budget

I was in the market for one in the same price range last year. Ended up with the Scorpion EXO-R710 for around $250 if I remember correctly. Fit me well - got it in white and use it for the daily commute. Works just fine for that. I use another helmet for sports touring.

I have a bell star bought at gp at an awesome price. Lovin it. Upgraded from the bell vortex and there's definitely some difference in the weight... a little bit of a difference in the noise.

The Australian govt published some crash test dummy data on helmets. http://www.crash.org.au/ratings.php

Fit & comfort are among the top safety criteria for helmets -- go somewhere that has an experienced fitter.

Last edited:
Go with Bell & get a transition visor. Can't go wrong.

Buy once, cry once.

Really... Buy the best Hemet you can regardless of price.
You'll forget how much you spent if it's a pleasure to wear... You'll never forget what you paid if it's just not right for whatever reason.
If you need help getting over the cost... Amortize it over the life span of the lid.
If you keep a $1000 Helmer for five years... it's only $200 a season.

Buy once, cry once.

Really... Buy the best Hemet you can regardless of price.
You'll forget how much you spent if it's a pleasure to wear... You'll never forget what you paid if it's just not right for whatever reason.
If you need help getting over the cost... Amortize it over the life span of the lid.
If you keep a $1000 Helmer for five years... it's only $200 a season.

That is terrible advice....

A $130 CL-17 HJC is SNELL rated, and Sharp Rated 4 stars. That more than My $400 AGV K-3.

More money doesnt mean a better helmet thats foolish.

Totally depends on fit. All I could find that didn't give me a headache was the Arai long oval so I rode in something cheap for a couple of years. The bell star fits well, the visibility is really good and it was $330. You have to try things on. Here's hoping you have a round head and lots of choice!

That's not what I said...
I said buy the best helmet you can regardless of price.
If a $300 lid fits you well and is comfortable great, but "if" you have to spend more to get one that works... do it.

I’ve never had an issue unloading helmets and gear that I bought at a steal online that didn’t fit. Just don’t get greedy, sell it for what you paid with taxes/duty etc factored in. What I’m trying to say is if there’s an amazing deal on a helmet that you see from an online store give it a go.

A $130 CL-17 HJC is SNELL rated, and Sharp Rated 4 stars. That more than My $400 AGV K-3.

Typically it does.

Safety wise, according to most tests no it doesn't.

However the fit and finish of an Arai or a Shoei is far superior to a HJC and cheaper lids.

A proper fit is what counts. Any rider should tell you that. I paid 500$ for my first helmet. After my bike was hit with helmet attached I submitted my bit to insurance to replace it. I ended up finding one more comfortable and for less then 200$. I will buy the same model again loved the Hjc cl-17.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

the different testing schemes have pros and cons
I prefer a modular helmet with internal sun shade
this type of helmet cannot be Snell certified
as Snell is a race oriented scheme
but it is DOT and ECE 22.05 certified
it's a Nolan helmet
and I'll take it over a $130 HJC Snell helmet anyday

lots more here on the various testing schemes

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/helmet-safety-ratings-101

Back
Top Bottom