CB500X Dilema | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB500X Dilema

I was giving serious thought to one but the ST1300 was calling my name just too loudly! The CB500x is a fantastic all rounder and the latest gen ('16 looks great!) They can go almost or just over 400km on a tank of gas, lots of luggage options, will handle well in the twisties at semi-legal speed and they are very affordable. The only reason I didn't get one was after the MSRP and all of the Farkles I would want to put on it, I was well over $10k (pre tax) when pricing them out. I got my one owner ST in showroom condition for significantly less than that. Farkles might be a different story though!

Given the weather lately, I did get to take the bike out last week luckily, It's caked in mud now after some off-roading and the weather went bad, so sitting that way now...

From the SV650, it definitely feels under powered, however it's a different type of bike in many other aspects. Suspension isn't too bad, the stock dunlop tires feel ok, however aren't as confidence inspiring as the Michelin pilots I had on the SV, though they were cold, so too early to tell. It feels light, and taking it off road into a flood zone, was super fun, something the SV would be twitchy on, for me and the bike! I love the Rally Raid stuff, i'm still on the fence about it, mainly because after import, taxes, and shipping, it's pricey. I also believe the next 2-3 years are going to be huge for the mid-range adventure segment, hoping the Yamaha XT660 comes out finally! I'm also 6ft Tall, so height isn't an issue, and I find the GS800 series very comfortable too.

Has anyone done a rally raid conversion in Toronto? How does insurance go about it? People in Germany still can't do it because of the TUV inspections I hear.

https://i.cubeupload.com/0a8cWl.jpg - How do i embed images here, really annoying...

Last edited:
Given the weather lately, I did get to take the bike out last week luckily, It's caked in mud now after some off-roading and the weather went bad, so sitting that way now...

From the SV650, it definitely feels under powered, however it's a different type of bike in many other aspects. Suspension isn't too bad, the stock dunlop tires feel ok, however aren't as confidence inspiring as the Michelin pilots I had on the SV, though they were cold, so too early to tell. It feels light, and taking it off road into a flood zone, was super fun, something the SV would be twitchy on, for me and the bike! I love the Rally Raid stuff, i'm still on the fence about it, mainly because after import, taxes, and shipping, it's pricey. I also believe the next 2-3 years are going to be huge for the mid-range adventure segment, hoping the Yamaha XT660 comes out finally! I'm also 6ft Tall, so height isn't an issue, and I find the GS800 series very comfortable too.

Has anyone done a rally raid conversion in Toronto? How does insurance go about it? People in Germany still can't do it because of the TUV inspections I hear.

https://i.cubeupload.com/0a8cWl.jpg - How do i embed images here, really annoying...
I only know of 1 person with the level 3 Rally Raid kit in Ontario, he is on the CB500X forum.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=46e053af83a46b34f097a16c7be4b44e&action=forum

I can not decide on which suspension upgrade I want so I did not get any. I personally have these Rally Raid modifications for these reasons:

Footpegs, because the stock rubber ones are really slippery when wet.

Scorpion exhaust, which is good because can't stand on the pegs without your heal will hit the stock exhaust.

Shorty levers, easier to grip throttle while slipping clutch or braking with 2 fingers.

I also have a SW Motech skid plate, Barkbuster handguards, Givi crash bars.

But the most important thing for riding these off the pavement will be a set of TKC80 or similar tires.

0a8cWl.jpg

That wasn't so difficult now, was it?

Nice bike.

Sounds you are serious enough you should consider trading to a proper off road machine rather than try to convert an adv

2016-Honda-XR650L-Test-Review-4-1024x683.jpg

he 2016 Honda XR650L is no lightweight at 346 pounds at the curb, but it’s light compared to the 432-pound KLR650 and 362-pound DR650S. Without much argument, the XR650L is the most dirt-worthy of the Japanese 650 dual-sport bikes.

With its XR600R heritage, which includes scads of championships in the 1990s by Scott Summers, there is no doubt that the XR650L can be taken on some serious trails. I
more in the review

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/09/13/2016-honda-xr650l-review-dual-sport-classic/

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/xr650l/street.aspx

My buddy in Australia will take his on a 10,k km outback ride and there is no end of torque or clearance.

Rally Raid gonna set you back $4-5k in Canada ....bet you do better trading AND get a better bike out of it.

Make a deal

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-...pe/1303415602?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You can bet the guy that traded it in was over his head.

My friend is 6'1" as well

SZq2UVShhnUfIKzq7_lJpgitxdXjPn7Gdg6uYEYUgKC1F2rQFlBcdMoU8MKRUwx0wLQ38TyYlMy4HCTYnPUDzb6q8xPMcrUKBzAYFso0cnJWZ10W7udCrckhWRjFb30NeTTWprzpuqDGns6iQVxWhPvIQjXdVvqh3Z6wWivxtyvcdglE-BWa5XVK8WtUPefBDnBr9kn42uVkDE3SWeergJIlBy9sjAFZrUyL0y_OBLGgWuhYIp2r48zl2iLzxQQdMRx4Tth8YA9NsMAbhQdENvUq5ITcb5ZfBOwKEsGRrkGFUuwm2ltyHJonCqsGM8mR7XyOfMKqeUd1Z1bY3Oe1zH90nf3nnDJTc55RaVEvvJPZniaiOSh-WCw8m1w_MhuTjsXDoWsUiZG50oLyrGbtup34evoyig6kz-IqddW2xBE-xqdT3u2vP7jQYdA17yyi8B8KwLvRZj2gNx1NPo-Rx7-13j4SehHm75dbmdcKJifHCaWPQi-_7R-lqOigkLHuYlAjM6D2gIRkJ6TVZtEcSjRkyCBlE9etPcEr6lyqSL6rryPt2MM8QU6Jm9T1Yx9jggx4wntXFA2iZo4synMRRYbXVpuuI8KVrGULc8I=w1182-h790-no

We took a break near Mt Mullligan and he had tea makings and snacks AND chairs for us both. :D

quite a nice relaxing break

1JMj_3ubmRbcMo4t1M4RuYPhMBZ4o6UGNkeuJA3lX5vOlrTADLFKOzRAQ94x4zMMHt7Xgebu5Czna1HL7DHMVGHoQfWOQbiesQEu2BtXad34wdvYSlRudZrAhSe4RJWT4N1_VcuzhJxD0abPEygqkInSYJOsEa_9sH2jzr8UMbGuHmduyj2OcXCnBOewcapngh6fGj08-B97pS5-7MhZQkfpOQaXOEE1x7JYchuotEV55s3v0vd4R4T-nJ0htdWlt3gTEQzBdpzC-fDDsZv7jwbFq41359H-ffin6vdYam7au9OSF_mS-yYp99ke95rrgeVbsXTCQAXBG4X_Wjh5QbJAF0GELscqcRRNHe628sh9DjNUGJhtPSOnzMF-lLSzAbo_iP7nvzhILA-GcRCr8OzCqwHnpTMc8_RXdeJSSdKefdVLapipjEh-HGTOuDwOYIu0wJ6THak2RyIXghvMMMDpTm72_URim9kZoCtkkxpWA2BbWwGB8XhqCqdNjvTdTGinbsaRZF_fA-wj6c-AC8Cf84QywsyAuaPrzLp1tjJJDFo7bGqYFqioSAgUD0ZRRa5vK8GxtaGn7ZyUrP7n2QRRTkpivIj5SlZXSE8=w1182-h790-no

Last edited:
Sounds you are serious enough you should consider trading to a proper off road machine rather than try to convert an adv

2016-Honda-XR650L-Test-Review-4-1024x683.jpg

more in the review

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/09/13/2016-honda-xr650l-review-dual-sport-classic/

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/xr650l/street.aspx

My buddy in Australia will take his on a 10,k km outback ride and there is no end of torque or clearance.

Rally Raid gonna set you back $4-5k in Canada ....bet you do better trading AND get a better bike out of it.

Make a deal

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-...pe/1303415602?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You can bet the guy that traded it in was over his head.

My friend is 6'1" as well

SZq2UVShhnUfIKzq7_lJpgitxdXjPn7Gdg6uYEYUgKC1F2rQFlBcdMoU8MKRUwx0wLQ38TyYlMy4HCTYnPUDzb6q8xPMcrUKBzAYFso0cnJWZ10W7udCrckhWRjFb30NeTTWprzpuqDGns6iQVxWhPvIQjXdVvqh3Z6wWivxtyvcdglE-BWa5XVK8WtUPefBDnBr9kn42uVkDE3SWeergJIlBy9sjAFZrUyL0y_OBLGgWuhYIp2r48zl2iLzxQQdMRx4Tth8YA9NsMAbhQdENvUq5ITcb5ZfBOwKEsGRrkGFUuwm2ltyHJonCqsGM8mR7XyOfMKqeUd1Z1bY3Oe1zH90nf3nnDJTc55RaVEvvJPZniaiOSh-WCw8m1w_MhuTjsXDoWsUiZG50oLyrGbtup34evoyig6kz-IqddW2xBE-xqdT3u2vP7jQYdA17yyi8B8KwLvRZj2gNx1NPo-Rx7-13j4SehHm75dbmdcKJifHCaWPQi-_7R-lqOigkLHuYlAjM6D2gIRkJ6TVZtEcSjRkyCBlE9etPcEr6lyqSL6rryPt2MM8QU6Jm9T1Yx9jggx4wntXFA2iZo4synMRRYbXVpuuI8KVrGULc8I=w1182-h790-no

We took a break near Mt Mullligan and he had tea makings and snacks AND chairs for us both. :D

quite a nice relaxing break

1JMj_3ubmRbcMo4t1M4RuYPhMBZ4o6UGNkeuJA3lX5vOlrTADLFKOzRAQ94x4zMMHt7Xgebu5Czna1HL7DHMVGHoQfWOQbiesQEu2BtXad34wdvYSlRudZrAhSe4RJWT4N1_VcuzhJxD0abPEygqkInSYJOsEa_9sH2jzr8UMbGuHmduyj2OcXCnBOewcapngh6fGj08-B97pS5-7MhZQkfpOQaXOEE1x7JYchuotEV55s3v0vd4R4T-nJ0htdWlt3gTEQzBdpzC-fDDsZv7jwbFq41359H-ffin6vdYam7au9OSF_mS-yYp99ke95rrgeVbsXTCQAXBG4X_Wjh5QbJAF0GELscqcRRNHe628sh9DjNUGJhtPSOnzMF-lLSzAbo_iP7nvzhILA-GcRCr8OzCqwHnpTMc8_RXdeJSSdKefdVLapipjEh-HGTOuDwOYIu0wJ6THak2RyIXghvMMMDpTm72_URim9kZoCtkkxpWA2BbWwGB8XhqCqdNjvTdTGinbsaRZF_fA-wj6c-AC8Cf84QywsyAuaPrzLp1tjJJDFo7bGqYFqioSAgUD0ZRRa5vK8GxtaGn7ZyUrP7n2QRRTkpivIj5SlZXSE8=w1182-h790-no
For the OP, the CB500X is a better choice unless he has multiple bikes.

For myself, the CB500X is a great vacation bike that I can also play in the dirt with. I have a YZ250FX for the tougher stuff as well.

All I need now is a KTM 500 EXC/Husqvarna FE501/Beta 500 rrs and a track bike to complete the stable. Maybe an Africa Twin wouldn't hurt either.

Any thought of Rally Raid says he wants more than the CB500x can deliver at a decent price.

Yes second bike ideal but the XL650 is a true dual sport with the tilt towards serious offroad.

I only know of 1 person with the level 3 Rally Raid kit in Ontario, he is on the CB500X forum.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=46e053af83a46b34f097a16c7be4b44e&action=forum

I can not decide on which suspension upgrade I want so I did not get any. I personally have these Rally Raid modifications for these reasons:

Footpegs, because the stock rubber ones are really slippery when wet.

Scorpion exhaust, which is good because can't stand on the pegs without your heal will hit the stock exhaust.

Shorty levers, easier to grip throttle while slipping clutch or braking with 2 fingers.

I also have a SW Motech skid plate, Barkbuster handguards, Givi crash bars.

But the most important thing for riding these off the pavement will be a set of TKC80 or similar tires.

Some handy upgrades there, and inline with what I was thinking for this season at-least. The CB500X I got already has SW Motech crash bars and a center stand, how do you like the Motech skid plate? It works with the center stand which is good, though the Rally Raid one looks more durable...

That wasn't so difficult now, was it?

Nice bike.

Thanks! I still don't know how to embed it, tried and tried...

Any thought of Rally Raid says he wants more than the CB500x can deliver at a decent price.

Yes second bike ideal but the XL650 is a true dual sport with the tilt towards serious offroad.

Thanks for the XL650 suggestion, didn't even know of that bike till now, a proper dual sport! With that, it may be reliable and durable, however it's rocking 90's tech, has Carbs, a 5 Speed tranny and is a single cylinder. It also has a smaller fuel tank, less milage, is probably vibey, and no wind protection. I figure some upgrades would cost on that bike too, like heated grips, bark busters, racks, etc... Someone offered me a DR650 for my SV at the time, I declined for a similar reasons.

I've only been riding for less than 2 years in Canada and have hit the "no perfect bike for everything" dilemma now lol - I want to learn how to do my own tire changes, suspension work etc, and the Rally Raid kit is a good intro to that, and in the end you get a bike that has premium components (Norwegian tri-active shocks, UK/Italian Spoked rims, etc..) and by a company that makes Dakar ready bikes themselves! Someone on the ADV forums said a BMW mechanic installed his Rally Raid kit and mentioned how it's a better set-up than a GS800 in his opinion, time to make my own ;) I am planning on doing a Trail tours dirt bike day this summer to get more adapt to dirt handling and a feel for things.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/...f4dc_bfb9eef1aaf1457695ed2f1d473e2360~mv2.jpg

PS, I still do not know how to show an image on here....

Last edited:
Like this?

You missed the slash on your closing tag.

static_rally-raid-honda-cb500x_01.ashx

via Tapatalk

None of this make sense to me. I looked at the Rally Raid site, it looks like you have to spend $5K on suspension, wheels and tires to upgrade a worst in class adv bike? How about buying well equipped low mileage old Vstrom or KLR for the same price? You can keep your CB500x, for less than the upgrade you can have a 2nd bike that is better performing and purpose built for the Adv class.

Like this?

You missed the slash on your closing tag.

static_rally-raid-honda-cb500x_01.ashx

via Tapatalk

Thanks, again!

None of this make sense to me. I looked at the Rally Raid site, it looks like you have to spend $5K on suspension, wheels and tires to upgrade a worst in class adv bike? How about buying well equipped low mileage old Vstrom or KLR for the same price? You can keep your CB500x, for less than the upgrade you can have a 2nd bike that is better performing and purpose built for the Adv class.

Some valid points, for my purposes I'm not looking at upgrading the wheels or suspension any time soon or the near future yet. It is costly, though I wouldn't consider this a worst in class adv bike, it's lighter than the V-strom kitted and unlike the KLR it's a twin, smoother, and many comparisons have said the RR Stage 3 is a better all arounder than the KLR, lots of KLR owners actually switched to the CB500X purely for the Stage 3 kit. I haven't ridden a KLR, or a dirt bike for that matter, so I can't compare them myself. I have sat on a KLR, and personally don't like that bike at all, I'd take a well used GS800 over it and pay a little extra.

Rocky mountain Alberta uses the CB500Xs as their adv bikes now, and a single Africa Twin. I like their setup with the stock wheels, and I'll most likely just do that :) - If canada didn't have such crazy insurance prices (atleast for my 27 yr old self) and didn't quote two bikes separately, I'd most likely have kept my SV and just got something on the side. I may sell this and get an ATV next year to save some dough for a GS, Africa Twin or something

https://rmabtc.com

I would suggest just simply getting TKC80 tires, Barkbuster handguards and a the SW Motech skid plate(you would lose your center stand with the RR skid plate) and ride it just like that.

I think you will be happy with what this bike can do and you can decide later if you need the upgraded suspension.

Looking at doing just that for now, how easy is it doing an oil change with the SW Motech plate? The RR seems like a mission

many comparisons have said the RR Stage 3 is a better all arounder than the KLR

I would certainly hope so, given that a CB500X with a full RR level 3 kit would cost several thousand more than what a new KLR650 + Cogent Dynamics suspension upgrades + common guards/farkles would go for.

I hope the CB500X is a good fit for what you want to do. It's a really good bike. If you do end up wanting something a little more off-road worthy than the CB without all of the comfort sacrifices required for something like the XR650 or DR650, take a look at a 1st gen KLR (pre-2007). It comes from the factory about as close to a 50/50 bike as there is and can be easily (and for much less $$ than the RR kit) turned into a very capable trail bike.

Last edited:
I would certainly hope so, given that a CB500X with a full RR level 3 kit would cost several thousand more than what a new KLR650 + Cogent Dynamics suspension upgrades + common guards/farkles would go for.

I hope the CB500X is a good fit for what you want to do. It's a really good bike. If you do end up wanting something a little more off-road worthy than the CB without all of the comfort sacrifices required for something like the XR650 or DR650, take a look at a 1st gen KLR (pre-2007). It comes from the factory about as close to a 50/50 bike as there is and can be easily (and for much less $$ than the RR kit) turned into a very capable trail bike.

The more you mention it, the more it gets into perspective. I'll just leave it as is for now, with the addition of a skid plate and some TKC80's and make the most. I can always get a dedicated dirt bike or ATV for trails with the savings and enjoy of off roading without paying double the insurance on another bike. Plus I still need to invest in some better gear and off-road courses (Trail tours or smart adventures)

This is good advice. As much as I really wanted the level 2 RR suspension, I could not justify paying that much for it. The level 1 cost makes more sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom