Can you sell your motorcycle to a dealer for cash ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can you sell your motorcycle to a dealer for cash ?

If you are having trouble selling your bike, drop the price to about 20% below comparables and it should move easily. You get more money than a dealer would give you and someone else gets a great deal on a bike.
Agreed. Me personally, not really having trouble selling just yet. But from what I'm reading here, there's no point in selling to a dealer at all. I'm sure I can get a good price through Kijiji.

Just wanted to see what my options are, if I don't want to deal with tire kickers on Kijiji.

Yeah. Used inventory is hard business for a dealer.

It's cash sitting there unlike new
that is interesting free for some time

friend of mine had a really decent Versys
mint condition and low km

was worth easy 5K
but he was in a hurry

GP gave him 2 grand for it
lol GP is totally hopeless then. Low-ball experts. I won't bother wasting anymore of my time with them.

friend of mine had a really decent Versys
mint condition and low km

was worth easy 5K
but he was in a hurry

GP gave him 2 grand for it

Was that a brown pre-2015 1000 with Givi bags? I recall they were asking high 7s for it. I believe it sold in the fall.

If it's the same bike, they made a nice markup on that deal!

lol GP is totally hopeless then. Low-ball experts. I won't bother wasting anymore of my time with them.

You're not going to get anywhere near market price from any dealer, they want to make money on the eventual sale

Most dealers will take your bike on consignment.Yes,they take a chunk,but with some brands it's the only way to get rid of them other than a trade.

google cbb trader. it will give you the trade in value of your motorcycle to a dealer. you can use it 5 times per month per computer

Not everyone would like what I'll be getting, but it'll be a CBR1000RR. Gotta get the SS monkey off my back.

bro, i support your decision and cringe at the insurance payments simultaneously

I'd probably be paying 5k a year.

You getting the new one or previous gen?

google cbb trader. it will give you the trade in value of your motorcycle to a dealer. you can use it 5 times per month per computer
Thanks! Very useful and seems accurate. I got quoted on the high end calculated by the website by one dealer.

bro, i support your decision and cringe at the insurance payments simultaneously

I'd probably be paying 5k a year.

You getting the new one or previous gen?
Well no way I'd be willing to pay that much that's why I waited for so long. I couldve got one last year, but wouldve also had to pay 5k to insure. This year, however, allstate is hooking me up .. hopefully. Good rates, much more affordable than 5k.

I'm buying used, likely 2014 which is the older gen I think?

Makes sense I suppose. Well for now, I'm trying my luck selling it privately. If it doesn't work out in the next 1-2 months, then I'll give the dealers a shot.

I don't know what kind of bike you are selling, but you won't see too much action from potential buyers until April. There are always the die-hards who pull their bike out in March and ride around in single digit temps with salt and melt water still on the road, but most folks who are looking to buy a bike seem to wait until the spring is actually here to start shopping. Its like they suddenly realize that it is riding season and then start looking for a bike!

As for dealers not getting back to you quickly if you send them an email, I'm not surprised. I can't speak for GTA dealerships, but up here in the PTBO/Kawartha area most of the shops are owned and run by guys in their late 50's to mid 60's and they are often the only salesman. They've done 99% of their business through phone calls or walk-ins for the last 20-30yrs and don't seem to be too concerned with catching up with the whole internet thing in the last few years of their career. Classy Chassis being the exception up this way, they have the internet thing figured out and use it to their advantage.

I don't know what kind of bike you are selling, but you won't see too much action from potential buyers until April. There are always the die-hards who pull their bike out in March and ride around in single digit temps with salt and melt water still on the road, but most folks who are looking to buy a bike seem to wait until the spring is actually here to start shopping. Its like they suddenly realize that it is riding season and then start looking for a bike!

As for dealers not getting back to you quickly if you send them an email, I'm not surprised. I can't speak for GTA dealerships, but up here in the PTBO/Kawartha area most of the shops are owned and run by guys in their late 50's to mid 60's and they are often the only salesman. They've done 99% of their business through phone calls or walk-ins for the last 20-30yrs and don't seem to be too concerned with catching up with the whole internet thing in the last few years of their career. Classy Chassis being the exception up this way, they have the internet thing figured out and use it to their advantage.
Thanks. I guess I can wait till april-may. I did receive a few inquiries, not sure if they'll pan out.

It's only some dealerships that did not respond to me, while others did. Based on the feedback and low-ball offers I received from them, I'd definitely sell it privately.

Was that a brown pre-2015 1000 with Givi bags? I recall they were asking high 7s for it. I believe it sold in the fall.

If it's the same bike, they made a nice markup on that deal!

black 650 with Givi luggage
was an 08, but this was a few years ago

A dealer figures they can sell your trade for Y amount, subtract reconditioning costs and profit, and that's your trade value.

A trade allows the dealer to move money around to give the buyer an impression that they're getting a good deal. I.e. on paper sell a bike for cost, but low ball the trade by X amount. Then on their balance sheets move the X amount from the trade to the new purchase.

On the flip side, if the dealer is very hungry for the sale, they can cut into their future profit margin on the future sale of your trade by offering you a higher trade in value

A trade in is still a purchase by the dealership's used veh department, whether they internally pay the new veh dept through a trade or pay you directly, they're still buying it.

On a private sale I paid too much for a used bike (I really liked it) because the dealer high balled the trade in price but didn't discount the sale of the new bike. The dealer flattered the seller. A lot of people think their bike is worth a lot more than the market justifies and the truth hurts. High ball and don't discount.

The only place where the skinning the OP would take could be justified is if he has to get out of town fast or has a quick deal come up where he makes more on the new deal than he loses on the fast sale. Private sales are slow even when the price is super low.

There are used bike dealers as well that would be interested.

Sellers and buyers get emotionally invested in the deal. Either the buyer 'has' top have it, or the seller had his first pc of tail in the backseat and thinks his sentiment has any bearing on the market.
Everything sells at a price, how close a haircut are you willing to put up with.

So several dealers got back to me with quotes, and all were in the same ballpark. They're all offering the wholesale value of the bike, to cover their own "overhead costs" as they put it.

Not in a rush to sell, so I will hold on to it till I can sell it privately.

Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom