Can you sell your motorcycle to a dealer for cash ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can you sell your motorcycle to a dealer for cash ?

roadrash

Hey guys, this may be a silly question, but I would like to know if there are any dealers in the GTA that would buy a used motorcycle for cash ? Not interested in trading it in.

I see a "Sell A bike" form on GPBikes.com, which I filled up last week, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Will try calling them soon and post here on what I find.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If they do, you won't be seeing anywhere near what you can at a trade or private sale.

I expect them to low ball me for sure. Just wanted to get an idea and have a backup option if I'm not able to sell mine privately easily.

Honda dealer gave me a somewhat good quote on a trade-in, but they won't buy it for cash. I guess it's different because they get to sell me another bike.

I'm sure every dealer will buy it if you agree to their price. No difference to them to taking a bike in on trade, only that you lose any potential tax savings on your new purchase.

I'm sure every dealer will buy it if you agree to their price. No difference to them to taking a bike in on trade, only that you lose any potential tax savings on your new purchase.

Hmm, always thought trade-ins were a way for them to sell you something more expensive. I'll try calling a few places and see if they'll buy it and what they offer.

If someone has done this before, would sure like to hear from them.

Hmm, always thought trade-ins were a way for them to sell you something more expensive. I'll try calling a few places and see if they'll buy it and what they offer.

If someone has done this before, would sure like to hear from them.

A dealer figures they can sell your trade for Y amount, subtract reconditioning costs and profit, and that's your trade value.

A trade allows the dealer to move money around to give the buyer an impression that they're getting a good deal. I.e. on paper sell a bike for cost, but low ball the trade by X amount. Then on their balance sheets move the X amount from the trade to the new purchase.

On the flip side, if the dealer is very hungry for the sale, they can cut into their future profit margin on the future sale of your trade by offering you a higher trade in value

A trade in is still a purchase by the dealership's used veh department, whether they internally pay the new veh dept through a trade or pay you directly, they're still buying it.

50% ? Wow! I'd rather make it a garage queen than sell it for that low. Just for giggles, I'll try calling them and see what they quote.

The 50% is probably very much dependant on the value of your bike. A $5k bike, yeah, I'd probably expect them to offer $2500.

If you're serious about selling it to a dealer, show up with the bike and give the impression that you're serious. No one is going to give you a proper value without seeing it.

A dealer figures they can sell your trade for Y amount, subtract reconditioning costs and profit, and that's your trade value.

A trade allows the dealer to move money around to give the buyer an impression that they're getting a good deal. I.e. on paper sell a bike for cost, but low ball the trade by X amount. Then on their balance sheets move the X amount from the trade to the new purchase.

On the flip side, if the dealer is very hungry for the sale, they can cut into their future profit margin on the future sale of your trade by offering you a higher trade in value

A trade in is still a purchase by the dealership's used veh department, whether they internally pay the new veh dept through a trade or pay you directly, they're still buying it.

Thanks! Interesting to know the logistics. I've emailed a few dealers just now, and asked for quotes. Let's see what they come up with.

The 50% is probably very much dependant on the value of your bike. A $5k bike, yeah, I'd probably expect them to offer $2500.

If you're serious about selling it to a dealer, show up with the bike and give the impression that you're serious. No one is going to give you a proper value without seeing it.
Makes sense I suppose. Well for now, I'm trying my luck selling it privately. If it doesn't work out in the next 1-2 months, then I'll give the dealers a shot.

Hey guys,

I see a "Sell A bike" form on GPBikes.com, which I filled up last week, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Thanks!

I still find it very surprising at this day and age that dealers don't get back to people who contact them immediately. People use the internet and email. If you have a form for us to fill out....you should respond quickly. Opportunities are lost this way. A surprising number of business' are this way. /end threadjack.

I still find it very surprising at this day and age that dealers don't get back to people who contact them immediately. People use the internet and email. If you have a form for us to fill out....you should respond quickly. Opportunities are lost this way. A surprising number of business' are this way. /end threadjack.
Agreed. Some dealers suck, while there are others who are on top of correspondence. Example, Markham Outdoor Power and Two Wheel Motorsports got back to me the next day for an inquiry about a trade-in I was considering at the time.

Yeah. Used inventory is hard business for a dealer.

It's cash sitting there unlike new
that is interesting free for some time

friend of mine had a really decent Versys
mint condition and low km

was worth easy 5K
but he was in a hurry

GP gave him 2 grand for it

yep, they are still stuck in pre 1990 as far as sales and internet are concerned

Thats exactly what the dealer quoted me for trade in value including the HST where as I just sold my bike for $5100 private. Ya, they really lowball you. Sell it private!

Its an easy way out of selling a bike, however if its a model that's hard to sell privately it will be hard to sell for a dealer also, and that will be reflected in there offer. Wholesale vs. retail can be an ugly spread.

If you are having trouble selling your bike, drop the price to about 20% below comparables and it should move easily. You get more money than a dealer would give you and someone else gets a great deal on a bike.

Back
Top Bottom