Fortnine now selectively charges restocking fees | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fortnine now selectively charges restocking fees

Another upside of GP are the coupons they send out at the beginning of the year with their catalogs. I forgot the 20% off coupon when I went in to buy my gloves last summer, though made a joke about forgetting it while paying and she gave me the discount anyways. They were like $200 gloves, so I saved a decent bit.

The one issue I have with GP is that they rarely have what I want in stock. I'll go on their website, find what I want, drive to store to try it on, and its not in stock. I always end up leaving with something different then I came in for. Which turns out poorly about 50% of the time.

GP's 20% catalog cupons are long standing.. just need to ask about it.. or pick up the catalog at the front desk.. and they will alway add to purchase. Now, this is only valid on their *regular* price which is often more than whats always on sale in store.. but you usually save a few $$ more.

GP have worked out better than F9 for me a few times. When purchasing a sizeable amount - say $800+ in gear, I have had them GP give me a decent (18-20%) discount and the bottom line price has better than F9. Even had size of items changed no problem after the fact.

GP's 20% catalog cupons are long standing.. just need to ask about it.. or pick up the catalog at the front desk.. and they will alway add to purchase. Now, this is only valid on their *regular* price which is often more than whats always on sale in store.. but you usually save a few $$ more.

GP have worked out better than F9 for me a few times. When purchasing a sizeable amount - say $800+ in gear, I have had them GP give me a decent (18-20%) discount and the bottom line price has better than F9. Even had size of items changed no problem after the fact.

Thats good to know. The catalogs they send out are basically trash now compared to what they once were, so I've taken the coupons out and lost them somewhere, so at least now I won't have lost out on the discount.

My Alpinestars jacket (TGP+R Air) and gloves (SP2) that I bought from there have been my best purchases for the bike yet. My worst purchase is the Olympia jacket I bought. Went in looking for an identical Aplinestars jacket to my TGP but the waterproof version for more fall riding, but it was one of those cases when they didn't have it in stock (online only, apparently) so I left with this $500 jacket that I now realize is actually sh*t.

Yes. I see. They did do that for electronics....90 days iirc. Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
MEC I took in a pannier that was two years old that had fallen off a bike and slid about 10 metres down the Goodman Trail, for repair. It had ripped nice big hole in the side. MEC charged me $10 for a newer version that locked on in a more secure fashion.

I found one item at F9 that I was interested in...
Their price was $49 higher than at a retail place...
However... Going to the retail location would take a couple hours out of my day and $20 worth of gas.
I'd rather pay the extra $50 and have it delivered.

You mean the brick and mortar wouldn't mail it to you? I doubt it. Call a business and tell them you're buying something and you'll pay $10 to ship it and see what they say if they don't ship for free. Most will have no problem.

as someone who has strictly bought online(with one exception)

Wouldn't the latest stuff be found online first? Instead of having to wait months, possibly a whole year before the cutting edge stuff makes it to the brick and mortar stores in the barren wasteland of motorcycles known as canada?

All companies get the stuff from the same distributors anyway....unless you are talking about out of the country stuff. (i wanted a pair of Alpinestars gloves that no one in Canada will get for me...so if I want them it is US or European websites)

I don't blame online places for restocking fees. its not like they're keeping this stuff on hand. They order as a middleman for you. You send back, they're not going to keep it happily.

This. Totally. Especially for smaller Canadian operations.

Revzilla might be the exception. They have 30 or so warehouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A guy who I worked with dozens of years ago, used to buy computer electronics, and then return it every six months for an upgraded version.

Imagine if you could buy a motorcycle in May and return it in October. The all inclusive return policy at Home Depot changed when they got all their snow blowers back in the spring.

If I was a retailer I could buy a brand new, in the box, item for $700 and sell it for $1000. If someone buys it for $1000 and returns it I would end up buying that item for $1000 in an opened box. I have to pay an employee's time to, in essence, buy it back and again resell it.

The first sale is fast and streamlined. Returns are often messy and therefore time consuming. Are all the parts / instructions / bits of packaging there?

I can see why a buyer with a bad history could get black listed, especially in on-line sales. If the return was due to my shipping the wrong or a damaged item the cost is the price of my education. If the error was the buyer's mistake the restocking charge is the price of his education.

Returned handguards that wouldn't fit last month to F9. No issues. I've ordered LOTS from them (and returned a couple items).
Same for GP (just received a large order from them this morning also).

Used them many times.Always great prices and service.

You mean the brick and mortar wouldn't mail it to you? I doubt it. Call a business and tell them you're buying something and you'll pay $10 to ship it and see what they say if they don't ship for free. Most will have no problem.

Lol... Well the B&M does have a website, but it's dildos/clown shoes to navigate. Their shipping rates are higher and delivery slower.
I can place an order at F9 in less than a minute and it's at my door in a couple of days.
YMMV

GP specifically told me they cannot match F9 as their prices would always be lower because they don't have a brick and mortar store. So I just try stuff on at GP and by from Revzilla or F9/

GP specifically told me they cannot match F9 as their prices would always be lower because they don't have a brick and mortar store. So I just try stuff on at GP and by from Revzilla or F9/

Do you want fewer motorcycle shops with less selection? Cause that's how you get it. In my experience if you bring them a price they'll certainly work to match it. But if you want places to "try stuff on" you have to also shop there.

Do you want fewer motorcycle shops with less selection? Cause that's how you get it. In my experience if you bring them a price they'll certainly work to match it. But if you want places to "try stuff on" you have to also shop there.
I specifically asked if they could match it (as they do with Royal all the time) and they told me no they can't match online stores. They wouldn't even try. This was last year though. Maybe they changed realizing it's easier for people to order online with free shipping to their door.

And what your saying is I should spend even more money just for a business that happens to be "local" in an attempt to maintain the bike gear industry? Sorry. No thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I specifically asked if they could match it (as they do with Royal all the time) and they told me no they can't match online stores. They wouldn't even try. This was last year though. Maybe they changed realizing it's easier for people to order online with free shipping to their door.

And what your saying is I should spend even more money just for a business that happens to be "local" in an attempt to maintain the bike gear industry? Sorry. No thanks

I've had them match prices before...no problem (and discount without matching as well). I am suggesting that you shop at a Brick and mortar so that the exist for you to try something on....if everyone did as you did there would be no where to try it on at all. Local has nothing to do with it. If Fortnine was the ONLY store that stocked the product and you had to try on their product by ordering it over and over till you got the right size you would incur costs. I am suggesting that you be willing to pay for what you are using.

I'm prepared to pay a reasonable price for service. Reasonable service isn't getting a cheat sheet answer from a call centre in a third world country with totally different laws, weather and culture. Brick and mortar stores have fixed costs that don't drop when sales fall. To make up the shortfall they increase prices driving away more customers. A race to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom