2017 KTM 1090 Adventure or 2017 Africa Twin (Std. Transmission) | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 KTM 1090 Adventure or 2017 Africa Twin (Std. Transmission)

BondJamesBond

I've been looking at you tube videos and reading comparisons of the Africa Twin to the KTM 1090.

What does this forum think? What is it that a buyer should consider when choosing between the Twin or 1090?

I've been looking at you tube videos and reading comparisons of the Africa Twin to the KTM 1090.

What does this forum think? What is it that a buyer should consider when choosing between the Twin or 1090?

Why limit to just those two? Why not bmw, triumph, aprilia, yamaha, etc?

Just my opinion really -- the other bikes are more geared towards the road rather than off-road adventures. 19 inch front tires rather than 21 as on the KTM and Honda are an easy observation as to what the manufacturers designed their bike for.

Ok, if offroad is your primary focus, why the big ones? They are heavy pigs off road and all of the extra power isn't that useful. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to narrow down what you are looking for from a bike.

Ok, if offroad is your primary focus, why the big ones? They are heavy pigs off road and all of the extra power isn't that useful. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to narrow down what you are looking for from a bike.

How important is reliability? From memory, the KTM's have some issues with fuel filters/fuel pumps.

Both are the best dirtbike you can buy in the high end adv bike category. Both will go the same places. The ktm is a lot more "exotic" and has more electronics and power. The Honda is a "simpler" design, less electronics but is a Honda, reliability shouldn't be an issue.
If money were no concern it'd be the ktm, in my real life current situation, the Africa Twin may actually be my next bike.
The above is only my opinion/perception. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I personally would go for the KTM for the power because that is important to me. I think the KTM has enough reliability to serve most people day to day. I was not all that impressed with the new Adventure Sports model Africa Twin which will be coming out shortly. The skid plate and crash bars did not seem very sturdy but it could of just been the bike setup at the auto show.

Heard a lot of great things about the KTM (ScubaSteve?) Haven't heard much about the Honda really.Just remember that they are both street bikes with pretend dirt credentials.

I'd consider a smaller bike. KTM makes a nice 500 EXCF that is very lite... not sure... less than 250lbs wet I think... The big bikes would give me legs for long trips into the US and other provinces.

I'd love to have a pure dirt bike in my garage but because I live in the suburbs getting to the trails takes effort. I think I'd get more use out of a good dual sport I can ride into a fun dual track or manegable single track. It's hard to pick just one bike! How?

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I own a KTM 300xc and live in Burlington. I've put 75 hours on it in 2 years of ownership mostly from the Ganaraska. I am in the market to buy a another bike and keep my 300xc. I'm thinking my 2nd bike will be a Husqvarna 701, I do not expect it to do what the 300xc does, but I think at my skill level I can still do 50% of the stuff at the Ganaraska, that includes all the main tracks and some single track. I too have been tempted by the 1090r and the AT, both are great bikes that suit different types of people. I know for a fact I won't be going on any motorcycle road trip that is more than 2 nights long for probably the next 10 years, so the bigger bikes are out for me. I used to own a FJR1300 that I put 20k miles on and ended up selling it cause I felt it was a boring bike. Buy a reliable car, buy a motorcycle that excites you, my 0.02.

Trip to Raddison Quebec - Take the Africa Twin.
Trip to Moab, Utah and surrounding area - Take the 1090r
50/50 on / off road, buy the $19,000 Husky 701 that dual sport plus is selling right now and add some gas tanks...lol

Mike - You live in Burlington. If you had a 701, how would you get to trails? Would you drive the 701 or trailer it? This is my biggest obstacle - living in the suburbs means using a trailer and that takes work and time.

Heard a lot of great things about the KTM (ScubaSteve?) Haven't heard much about the Honda really.Just remember that they are both street bikes with pretend dirt credentials.

I've had 4 KTM's; 300 EXC, 950 Adv, 530 EXC and a 990 SMT. I've never had any reliability issues and the dealers have been EXCELLENT.

I agree with Wingboy, they both may look like dirt bikes but neither are much good for "trail" riding. In the videos they're being ridden on fast logging or forest access roads and wide open spaces. While you MIGHT find some places like that in the North, around southern Ontario you'll be hard pressed to find such terrain. They're both excellent for dirt roads and the like but the gearing is pretty high for most off road opportunities around here.

Personally, I'd get a KTM/Husky 690/701 (or more off road oriented 250/350/500) and a trailer. Drag it to the general area you want to ride in/explore and spend the day. Sure you have the option to ride it there but the 401 is barely tolerable in a car let alone sitting on the wooden planks that KTM/Husky pretend are seats.

Mike - You live in Burlington. If you had a 701, how would you get to trails? Would you drive the 701 or trailer it? This is my biggest obstacle - living in the suburbs means using a trailer and that takes work and time.

You went from big adventure bike to smallish dual sport pretty quick. If you're just looking to ride trails honestly a trailer is the best way. It shouldn't take longer then 10 minutes to load up and you'll get to the trails feeling fresh and ready to ride, also you will be riding a bike more suited to trail riding instead of a do it all bike that's trying to do too many things to be great at one. It also helps that if you have a mechanical issue or minor injury you still have a way to get home.

If you want to tour as well then yeah a big adv bike is a solid choice. I doubt you could go wrong with either the KTM or Africa Twin.

You're looking for the holy grail -- one bike fits all -- adventure touring and motocross require 2 different animals, or a lot of compromise.

The ATwin and KTM 1090 are not popular in Southern Ontario, for a good reason, we are are mostly flat lowlands with paved or relatively well maintained hardpack and more than a thousand KM from anywhere you can do any serious touring off road. These bikes are designed to cover big distance on rough terrain, so unless you're planning an epic journey or spending a lot of time out west, these bikes just won't feel 'at home'.

I would take the 701 on some escarpment rides around Milton, day trip it to Barrie area and go into some Simcoe trails, back road ride it through Collingwood, Creemore area, ride it to Welland Canal, Walsingham ATV trails, and yes I'd take it on the 407 160kms each way to the Ganny from my home and ride the area around there. On 20psi, tubed tires, flats be damned. If you live in Richmond Hill, youre like 1 hour from Ganaraska.

I would take the 701 on some escarpment rides around Milton, day trip it to Barrie area and go into some Simcoe trails, back road ride it through Collingwood, Creemore area, ride it to Welland Canal, Walsingham ATV trails, and yes I'd take it on the 407 160kms each way to the Ganny from my home and ride the area around there. On 20psi, tubed tires, flats be damned. If you live in Richmond Hill, youre like 1 hour from Ganaraska.
This.

690/701 is an awesome day trip/weekender bike. Capable of highway cruising as well as hitting the trails. It's isn't really any heavier than a DRZ 400. But it has a lot more power. With the fuel kept low in the back it handles well and doesn't feel as heavy as it is.

I use mine in everything from singletrack to the race track and its honestly the most fun machine I've ever owned.

You're still not in the sweet spot for these bikes. ATV trails are better suited to dirtbikes - sure you can do them on a 1200cc ADV, but they won't be as much fun as middleweight adv bike like a KTM 690. Remember, these are big and heavy bikes -- a African Twin comes in at 560lbs wet, that's 70% heavier than a KTM690, you'll certainly notice this pounding down dirt bike and ATV trails.

Now, if you plan a trip up the Dalton, across the Mohave, or the Andes -- an African Twin would be a beauty ride. Having one for the off trip to the ATV trails... wrong bike.

Back
Top Bottom