2017 KTM 1090 Adventure or 2017 Africa Twin (Std. Transmission) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 KTM 1090 Adventure or 2017 Africa Twin (Std. Transmission)

My story may need correcting. But I believe it was Lawrence Hacking or someone similar who rode a Honda Varadero in 2008 or 2010 Paris to Dacre challenge. Didn't finish because the bike was stock and cracked the case. I use to own that bike and I can tell you I took it to the entrances of the Ganny and was like "nope" and turned around. Stock tires were not good either so I think that was a big factor.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/XoQZtVmgGYw

I really like this rich larsen 511 youtube channel. Music isn't the greatest but riding is good. Between Dirt bike channel, everide, and this guy, kinda wishing I was a Mormon and living in Utah. I saw the book of Mormon and wasn't really taken back all that much.

I'd consider a smaller bike. KTM makes a nice 500 EXCF that is very lite... not sure... less than 250lbs wet I think... The big bikes would give me legs for long trips into the US and other provinces.

I'd love to have a pure dirt bike in my garage but because I live in the suburbs getting to the trails takes effort. I think I'd get more use out of a good dual sport I can ride into a fun dual track or manegable single track. It's hard to pick just one bike! How?

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

conflicting wants
there is no bike good for both
for the first part, a GSA is the best option
for the second part
nothing coming in at 500 lbs or more is going to be ideal

but of the 2 compromise bikes on your short list
I'd choose the Honda

Wise too! electing to ride the 500 in the Corduroy Enduro ;)
Yep. I went even lighter, ktm 200 2t but he still beat me.
That crazy bugger chose to race the ktm 1090 at the 2017 redbull Romaniacs event!

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

How about waiting to see what the new Yamaha Tenere 700 will look like?

It is definitely impossible to have just one bike that is best in doing it all. I started with a KLR, then went to a wr250r to get more comfortable riding in the dirt. A Multistrada for long road tours and occasional connecting gravel roads. It is always going to be a compromise, but I can say after spending 3 years with all these bikes the KLR is still my most ridden bike. Once I got the hang of handling it in dirt, and comfortable enough to spend 2 hours straight on it to get to the more interesting trails up north.

If the Yamaha tenere 700 will be around the same weight as the KLR, I will be swapping it out for one.

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm tending towards a ktm 690 now. It is 70-80 lbs heavier than a ktm 350 exc-f which is unfortunate but it will let me explore the area around my house, day trips and the trailered rides to the Ganaraska forest. How does anyone pick just 1 bike !?

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

How about waiting to see what the new Yamaha Tenere 700 will look like?
If the Yamaha tenere 700 will be around the same weight as the KLR, I will be swapping it out for one.

We've been waiting for what, 3 years for this bike ?
Every time I ask a Yamaha rep at the show they say 'next year for sure'.
How long is too long....

I agree too heavy for most offroad adventures. I have rode both bikes and chose the BMW f800GS with the enduro mode great bike. Much less weight and handles awesome offroad as well as on the road. Just rode it 4000km from Costa Rica to Cancun Mexico and back awesome trip.

We've been waiting for what, 3 years for this bike ?
Every time I ask a Yamaha rep at the show they say 'next year for sure'.
How long is too long....

Oh I hear you.. Yamaha has been a real tease about it. The thing that gives me any hope that the bike will actually make it to production is that the "Concept" T7 has now been turned into a "Prototype" Tenere 700.

I agree too heavy for most offroad adventures. I have rode both bikes and chose the BMW f800GS with the enduro mode great bike. Much less weight and handles awesome offroad as well as on the road. Just rode it 4000km from Costa Rica to Cancun Mexico and back awesome trip.
What? The f800gs has 85hp and is 505lbs wet. Africa Twin 100hp and 512lbs wet. Ktm 100 adventure r 125hp and 507lbs wet.
Tell me again how the bmw has much less weight?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I just read a ride review in an American magazine where they left Cali and looped through AZ , KTM 1090 and an Africa twin. Dirt seemed a 50/50 but getting to the dirt was hands down the KTM. Just more freindly and comnfortable

I just read a ride review in an American magazine where they left Cali and looped through AZ , KTM 1090 and an Africa twin. Dirt seemed a 50/50 but getting to the dirt was hands down the KTM. Just more freindly and comnfortable

Dealer network is the Achilles heel for KTM. Just not as common as Honda. I have a Honda dealer downtown but my KTM dealer is nearly 2h north or west.

Dealer network is the Achilles heel for KTM. Just not as common as Honda. I have a Honda dealer downtown but my KTM dealer is nearly 2h north or west.

I'd argue that the dealer network for KTM is actually pretty good, just as good if not better than some of the Japanese brands. I live in Burlington, and there is probably 5 or more dealers within 80 minutes of me. From Tillsonburg, Cambridge, Mississauga, Ajax / Whitby area, all the way north to Barrie and Spring Water area. I understand if you are very rural you are probably stuck with just a handful of places you can go. I bet there's an unusually high percentage of the dirt biking community near London ON that have Sherco's simply because some guy who owns Lang's offroad likes those bikes and they are close to him. I think people really need to understand that KTM is just as good if not better than it's Japanese counter parts, not only for the sake of improving off road bikes but for improving people's enjoyment of the sports and putting pressure on the Japanese to improve their lineups. I'm not saying this as a fan boy because I can buy whichever brand depending on how the wind is blowing that day, but I honestly believe KTM is improving dirt biking in North America with its variety.

I'd argue that the dealer network for KTM is actually pretty good, just as good if not better than some of the Japanese brands. I live in Burlington, and there is probably 5 or more dealers within 80 minutes of me. From Tillsonburg, Cambridge, Mississauga, Ajax / Whitby area, all the way north to Barrie and Spring Water area. I understand if you are very rural you are probably stuck with just a handful of places you can go. I bet there's an unusually high percentage of the dirt biking community near London ON that have Sherco's simply because some guy who owns Lang's offroad likes those bikes and they are close to him. I think people really need to understand that KTM is just as good if not better than it's Japanese counter parts, not only for the sake of improving off road bikes but for improving people's enjoyment of the sports and putting pressure on the Japanese to improve their lineups. I'm not saying this as a fan boy because I can buy whichever brand depending on how the wind is blowing that day, but I honestly believe KTM is improving dirt biking in North America with its variety.

The network for the KTM dirtbikes isn't too bad but the big streetbikes aren't sold in every dealership.

If I had to pick between your original 2 I would go with the KTM.
African twin is a very nice bike but I think the KTM would get the nod from me.
if you want something lighter and better off road go with a KTM 690 or Husky 701.
Even look at a XR650 or DR650 for a fraction of the cost.
If you want something for only offroad...none of the above.
I noticed that KTM is not making the 690 this year and the 790 twin is probably going to be out next year if you can wait.

If you are an avid all around motorcyclist, I find it best to have at least two bikes or one all around bike. (been searching but have not found)
One to satisfy the the squid in you and another to scratch the dirt road itch.
If possible..three...last one would be a long distance hauler.
But those are just my 3 classes that work for me. Everyone will be different.

Last edited:
If I had to pick between your original 2 I would go with the KTM.
African twin is a very nice bike but I think the KTM would get the nod from me.
if you want something lighter and better off road go with a KTM 690 or Husky 701.
Even look at a XR650 or DR650 for a fraction of the cost.
If you want something for only offroad...none of the above.
I noticed that KTM is not making the 690 this year and the 790 twin is probably going to be out next year if you can wait.

If you are an avid all around motorcyclist, I find it best to have at least two bikes or one all around bike. (been searching but have not found)
One to satisfy the the squid in you and another to scratch the dirt road itch.
If possible..three...last one would be a long distance hauler.
But those are just my 3 classes that work for me. Everyone will be different.
You can still buy a 2018 KTM 690, they are on dealer floors now. The downside is it has what im sure most would consider an inferior engine compared to a 2017 and 2018 Husky 701. There is rumour that a 2019 ktm 690 will have the updated engine. So a 2019 ktm 690 and a 2019 husky 701 will be a lot more similar. The Husky will have an extra 1 lite of fuel storage and longer suspension and probably different tires.

Back
Top Bottom