wr450 on highway for a long time? | GTAMotorcycle.com

wr450 on highway for a long time?

Moh230

Planning on going to quebec (Montreal) to buy an enduro (2004 wr450). Bikes and cars are much cheaper in Quebec than Ontario for some weird reason. Can the dual sport be on the highway for that long or is it not ment for long highway cruising. I'd rather ride it back home then get it towed. Is it dangerous to ride it for 300+km?

Its not meant for that - fuel range is limited and the motor will be spinning pretty hard.
If you were to take the back roads and not in a hurry you'd likely be fine.

Highway back would not be good for the bike, and would be a dreadful trip for the rider on that bike.

Unless like stated. Stay on secondary roads and take a bunch of breaks.

Can you not rent a van and bring a buddy to help you load it?

Last edited:
That would be a very unpleasant ride. More importantly, I would be very surprised if the MTO gave you a regular street plate for it when you got it home. Since you describe it as a dual sport I assume that you want to ride it on the street, but it is not a street legal motorcycle in Ontario. At one point in the past you could legitimately convert dirt bikes to street use in Ontario, but they will not do that any more unless the bike has been grandfathered in and already has an Ontario street plate. I would bet that the MTO hands you an off road (green) plate instead of a street plate (blue).

That would be a very unpleasant ride. More importantly, I would be very surprised if the MTO gave you a regular street plate for it when you got it home. Since you describe it as a dual sport I assume that you want to ride it on the street, but it is not a street legal motorcycle in Ontario. At one point in the past you could legitimately convert dirt bikes to street use in Ontario, but they will not do that any more unless the bike has been grandfathered in and already has an Ontario street plate. I would bet that the MTO hands you an off road (green) plate instead of a street plate (blue).
This. Completely.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

You won't be saving anything by taking a train out there and riding the bike back vs driving out and trailering the bike back. You can rent a U-Haul trailer for $25/day. You can drive out in comfort with the heat or AC on, a Timmie's in hand, buy the bike, load it up and drive home in the same comfort. 300km+ on a bike like that will be pure torture to do in a single day. Also it would be hell on the motor.

I'm not familiar with that bike, but a quick google search shows that (in stock form) the bike has no turn signals or rear mud flap or a place to mount a plate or a light for the plate. I don't think you can plate a motorcycle like that for the street here in Ontario (might be different rules in QU) and I don't think you can convert it to street legal by adding the bits that didn't come from the factory. Also, my understanding of true dirt bikes is that their motors are rebuilt based on hrs of running time and a 300km run would be 4 or 5 hrs of running time which is a lot, especially to do it all in one day! If you're serious about a DUAL SPORT, I'd look at one that has a street based motor like a CRF250L/650L or a KLR. Those bikes are designed to run like a street bike and only need oil changes every 5k and the usual chain and air filter maintenance.

I know some people have bought street registered off road bikes in Quebec and it has worked out fine when licensing them here. Personally I chalk this up to luck and wouldn't take the risk myself.

I have zero interest in riding my EXC 450 on the hwy for any longer then about 20 minutes. It's do able but a miserable time. If the WR is in decent shape I'd bet on it being fine but for the sake of your sanity take the advice given here and rent a cargo van or pick up and bring it back that way.

As the others have pointed out, there could be a challenge to plate it here, I'd inquire at an MTO office about getting it done before investing XX hrs and dollars into a program that might not work out.

caviet; getting the right info at an MTO office is 50/50 crapshoot

Planning on going to quebec (Montreal) to buy an enduro (2004 wr450). Bikes and cars are much cheaper in Quebec than Ontario for some weird reason. Can the dual sport be on the highway for that long or is it not ment for long highway cruising. I'd rather ride it back home then get it towed. Is it dangerous to ride it for 300+km?

I've ridden a 1970's Suzuki TS185 2-stroke enduro further then that and I'm still alive. ... actually the bike still is too!
The trans canada highway is your take the long way home friend and if a WR450 can't go that distance then it was probably a bad purchase.

... if it is in Quebec you can bet it has a plate on it, even a riding lawnmower needs plates in la belle province.

Last edited:
I have one and think I'd rather ride a jackhammer than ride at highway speeds for 300km steady.

A big single will not like droning down the highway at a set RPM. If you you took secondary roads home so you vary the RPM you'll be good.

If it's got decent off road tires on it already, those may be ruined by the long highway ride.

heck even regular bikes like mine are still a test of pain resistance for long, full day, rides. Don't wanna imagine that!

I've been riding offroad bikes a long time. No way in hell would I put a good woods bikes through that. It was never built with sustained hwy cruising in mind.
It won't be fun, and it won't be the best thing to do to an older wr450f.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Thank you for everyone's reply. Yeah I thought the wr450 was a street legal bike, I guess not. Thanks for the heads up guys. I'ldefinitelyly look for a dual sport that has a street-based motor and ill make sure to check it's street legal.

Thank you for everyone's reply. Yeah I thought the wr450 was a street legal bike, I guess not. Thanks for the heads up guys. I'ldefinitelyly look for a dual sport that has a street-based motor and ill make sure to check it's street legal.
Try DR650 or KLR 650. If you're looking at 2004 models, you'll find decent specimens on Kijiji starting at $2500.

Back
Top Bottom