dead battery | GTAMotorcycle.com

dead battery

Turn the ignition on.

Put the bike in 4th gear.

Run beside it down the street and release the clutch enough to spin the motor. If you're lucky enough that the battery has enough charge left to run the fuel injection and ignition (if not the starter motor) and it turns over it might catch.

You can also jump start it from a car. Just be careful accessing the small battery terminals; don't short between the +ve terminal and chassis.

Once running keep it running for 20-mins to 1/2-hour to get a charge on the battery. If you have a tender or trickle charger you can just plug it in and try starting it in the morning.

That looks like a good deal. Mine seems to have bit the dust after 7 years

Your Tender might be okay, check it with a voltmeter.
I had trouble with the battery terminal connector wires so now I just use the jumpers.

Your Tender might be okay, check it with a voltmeter.
I had trouble with the battery terminal connector wires so now I just use the jumpers.
Good idea. I will try that first. I thought it was on the fritz because the green light would not stay constant...nor did it flash, it would just sort of flicker.
And my battery is dead. Although this is it's 7th year, and I haven't had the bike out for a season and a half.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Thanks for the responses,

I bought the tender from Canadian Tire, its plugged in currently so I will check up on the bike in the morning!

Turn the ignition on.

Put the bike in 4th gear.

Run beside it down the street and release the clutch enough to spin the motor. If you're lucky enough that the battery has enough charge left to run the fuel injection and ignition (if not the starter motor) and it turns over it might catch.

You can also jump start it from a car. Just be careful accessing the small battery terminals; don't short between the +ve terminal and chassis.

Once running keep it running for 20-mins to 1/2-hour to get a charge on the battery. If you have a tender or trickle charger you can just plug it in and try starting it in the morning.

That is some interesting suggestions. Curious have you done this with succuss. The 4th gear running part down street.

That is some interesting suggestions. Curious have you done this with succuss. The 4th gear running part down street.

It's called bump-starting, and it works... sometimes. Works better on bikes without EFI

7 years is definitely close to if not at end of life for a batt.

I've bump started an FI bike before. Always did it in 2nd gear....and try going downhill if you can. ;)

Not with either of my two current behemoths though countless times in the past with other, smaller bikes. I suggested 4th because the rear wheel will have an easier time turning the engine over in this gear than in, say, 1st or 2nd. You've got to be adept on the clutch and throttle; if it fires off you need to feather in some throttle while pulling the clutch to keep the engine running but not drive the rear wheel too much. Takes practice but it's very doable.

if your going to own a bike/car/snowmobile you might as well own a smart charger, you'll use it someday. and at 2014, as suggested I'd get the battery load tested. some last a decade and some 4 yrs, being dead at home is more fun than 3 hrs from home.

battery tender worked -- bike is back to starting

now, do I charge the battery every time I don't use the bike?? How long will this last for?

did you take the battery to have it load tested ? if not then you don't know the state of the battery and how good it is, and how long it will hold a charge for. most will put a battery on a smart charger over the winter to keep the battery in good shape for the new season of riding. the older the battery the greater chance of failure and a smart charger is a good bet to keep it going for as long as possible.

battery tender worked -- bike is back to starting

now, do I charge the battery every time I don't use the bike?? How long will this last for?

If you're storing the bike away for weeks/months at a time, you can throw the charger on it every couple weeks, or just bring the battery inside to do that as it drains faster in the cold. I assume your headlights probably drained your battery dry when you left your key in...

I have a Ninja 300 '13, left it sitting in an underground garage (~10 degrees or so), and it started up fine 2 months later without throwing it on a charger (original 4 year old battery).

Since you got it starting, I'd ride it around for 15 mins or so since the weather is nice the next couple days and just test to see if it can turn over easily a day or two later - or you can bring it to a shop to get the battery tested.

Battery drains less in the cold.

Battery load tester, multimeter and smart battery tender are all good investments.

OP did you get a Deltran Battery Tender like this one ?

Image1519690100.918639.jpg

If so, you can hook it up to the battery and leave it. Once it brings the battery up to full charge, it goes into a safe “battery maintenance mode”.

Some generic chargers/tenders don’t have this feature.

Back
Top Bottom