Transferring ownership with safety but without insurance, plating it later question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transferring ownership with safety but without insurance, plating it later question

roadrash

Hey guys,

I want to purchase a used motorcycle, but do not have insurance yet. Plan is to transfer the ownership and store the motorcycle for 2 months, then get insurance and plate it.

Question 1: is there any point in providing a safety certificate when registering if the current owner already has it registered as "FIT" on his ownership ?

Question 2: if I provide a safety cert at the time of transfer, would I need to do the safety again when plating it, even though the motorcycle is designated as fit ?

Question 3: assuming the answer to above is Yes, then what if I plate the motorcycle within 36 days of doing the first safety inspection ?

I already tried searching the forum, but couldn't find an answer to this.

Really hoping someone can advise. I will be calling service Ontario on Monday, but it would help to know now because Seller is going to do the safety on Monday which I have to pay for.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You will need a safety either way to get your plates. I believe you can register it now as fit with a new safety and return to get plates later with insurance.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

You will need a safety either way to get your plates. I believe you can register it now as fit with a new safety and return to get plates later with insurance.

Hey @Iceman, thank you for the reply! So if I register it now as "fit", I won't need to safety it again when I plate it 2 months later, right ?

Basically, I want to avoid paying for safety twice. If i have to redo it, I might as well register it as "unfit" now, and then safety it when I'm ready to plate it.

Yes I believe if you register it now as fit with a safety you won't need another when you return for plates.

yep, if the bike is in your name you dont need a safety

IIRC, to register it as fit, you will have to provide insurance and a safety at the same time. You can register a bike to your name without safety or insurance, but it will be marked as "unplated" or "unfit".

One thing you can do, is register it witth a temp sticker (I think they are $15 ish), without providing a safety, but it is only good for 10 days. You can do this up to twice per year, once per 6 months, indefinitely I believe.

Keep in mind that insurance is pro-rated. You pay the same amount per month, but actually pay less in the wither and more in the summer, they just average it out. If you think you are saving money by not putting insurance on it until the spring, that is not true. So if you were to, say cancel in 6 months, you would likely get a bill from your insurer.

Since you already have the safety, just get insurance and register it.

IIRC, to register it as fit, you will have to provide insurance and a safety at the same time. You can register a bike to your name without safety or insurance, but it will be marked as "unplated" or "unfit".

One thing you can do, is register it witth a temp sticker (I think they are $15 ish), without providing a safety, but it is only good for 10 days. You can do this up to twice per year, once per 6 months, indefinitely I believe. From the posts here, sounds like I don't need to.

Keep in mind that insurance is pro-rated. You pay the same amount per month, but actually pay less in the wither and more in the summer, they just average it out. If you think you are saving money by not putting insurance on it until the spring, that is not true. So if you were to, say cancel in 6 months, you would likely get a bill from your insurer.

Since you already have the safety, just get insurance and register it.

Hey smergy, I can register it as fit with just the safety, insurance is not required. I confirmed this with Service Ontario last week. Just forgot to ask if I'll need to safety it again when I plate it later.

My insurance situation is a bit messy, hence why I need 1-2 months to sort it out.

The plates that I want to put on the bike that I'm purchasing are on my current motorcycle at the moment. I'm trying to sell it, and need insurance + plates to continue on it for safety, showings till I sell.

Also, my current motorcycle insurer won't write the bike I'm purchasing, so I will need to cancel my house/car with another insurer, and bundle up. Trying to time out all these things.

Sucks that insurance is such a mess in the GTA.

Last edited:
Hey smergy, I can register it as fit with just the safety, insurance is not required. I confirmed this with Service Ontario last week. Just forgot to ask if I'll need to safety it again when I plate it later.

My insurance situation is a bit messy, hence why I need 1-2 months to sort it out.

The plates that I want to put on the bike that I'm purchasing are on my current motorcycle at the moment. I'm trying to sell it, and need insurance + plates to continue on it for safety, showings till I sell.

Also, my current motorcycle insurer won't write the bike I'm purchasing, so I will need to cancel my house/car with another insurer, and bundle up. Trying to time out all these things.

Sucks that insurance is such a mess in the GTA.
Thanks for clarifying that. Or just make it a track bike, avoid insurance all together, and have way more fun!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for clarifying that. Or just make it a track bike, avoid insurance all together, and have way more fun!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I'm too much of a noob for track at the moment. But definitely going to be looking into that eventually.

Checked out a lot of youtube videos, and it piqued my interest. Going to check out some courses when i can aford them.

both racer5 and FAST provide excellent courses. Bikes will come and go, but skills will stay with you.

If it goes according to plan, i'll be getting a Honda CBR1krr. Will post pics once I have it plated. Stay tuned!

Congrats, i'd say fire and theft at the least.

In case anyone is wondering, I called Service Ontario on Monday and confirmed that once the bike is in my name (safety presented when registering), I won't have to do safety again when I plate it later.

However, I decided to get a new plate the same day I registered it, because new plates were only $29. I don't know how long it would take to sell my other bike, so decided not to wait. And once I sell my other bike, I can get a refund on whatever time is left on those plates.

Back
Top Bottom