Akoury dealer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Akoury dealer

Would anyone know who carries akoury helmets.

Sorry to bump this old thread. It looks like GP Bikes doesn't carry this anymore. It looks like the only way to get this is via Akoury's website.

OP- did you end up buying it, and would you recommend it?

I have a couple of them. Great lightweight helmet, but you have to try them on to get the right fit. There are plenty of Akoury-looking knock-offs. You can likely find one at the Spring Motorcycle Show or one that is very similar.

I have a couple of them. Great lightweight helmet, but you have to try them on to get the right fit. There are plenty of Akoury-looking knock-offs. You can likely find one at the Spring Motorcycle Show or one that is very similar.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

They are currently discounted to $80 and free shipping at their website.

1.Would you remember how much you got them for during the Motorcycle show? I'd be surprised if they sell for lower than $80 (Although you make a great point about having to try them on to check the fit) and

2. Would these fit in stock saddlebags. (I have a Vulcan 900). I am buying these primarily for errands around the city. To put them in the saddlebag while I stop by grocery store to pick up milk and bread. Instead of having to carry my full face helmet around.

I have been avoiding buying a half helmet until now because of the mushroom head look, but I was recently reading about how Akoury and virtually identical brands like Crazy Al's helmet don't give that look.

helmet-impact.jpg

According to not so recent studies a half helmet should protect you ~38.6% of the time :|
imho How they qualify for DOT approval on a helmet with open ears like that is nothing short of amazing!
Any of my trials helmets would provide far better real world protection, look way better and not qualify for DOT. Those 80$ half helmets are very close to what I would consider wearing for mountain climbing, snow-boarding or a in a kayak, ymmv.

If you are going to wear one strictly for DOT compliance and easy storage :/ holy be careful when you are riding with it on.

helmet-impact.jpg

According to not so recent studies a half helmet should protect you ~38.6% of the time :|
imho How they qualify for DOT approval on a helmet with open ears like that is nothing short of amazing!
Any of my trials helmets would provide far better real world protection, look way better and not qualify for DOT. Those 80$ half helmets are very close to what I would consider wearing for mountain climbing, snow-boarding or a in a kayak, ymmv.

If you are going to wear one strictly for DOT compliance and easy storage :/ holy be careful when you are riding with it on.

I understand your point and the intention behind raising safety issues.

I am thinking about picking them up to ride to grocery stores and the bank at the town centre about 800m away from my house. According to my own personal risk tolerance, i think that's an acceptable risk distance for me to use half helmets.

But I do agree that they would not come close to offering the same protection as a full face helmet- which is what I would be wearing the rest of my rides apart from my rides to the nearby town centre.

I understand your point and the intention behind raising safety issues.

I am thinking about picking them up to ride to grocery stores and the bank at the town centre about 800m away from my house. According to my own personal risk tolerance, i think that's an acceptable risk distance for me to use half helmets.

But I do agree that they would not come close to offering the same protection as a full face helmet- which is what I would be wearing the rest of my rides apart from my rides to the nearby town centre.

Wow, I am too lazy to get on motorcycle to ride that short a distance, I would walk the 800m.

It did remind me of some interesting statistics though. We always feel safer if we are close to home. My only bike against car accident was 34 years ago and was two blocks from the house I lived in. An estimated 52 percent of car accidents occur within 5 miles of a person's home, and 77 percent occur within 15 miles or less, according to a study conducted by Progressive Insurance.

Should also mention I am not judging your choice of headgear, I believe in freedom of choice. Just good to have all the stats in mind when making choices.

I wear open face (but better then 1/2 coverage) for trials riding and that is where I do (hopefully) 100% of my crashing, I'm still alive but have nearly destroyed a couple of trials helmets and had them save me from sure death numerous times. Some part of surviving an oops is luck and some part is knowing how to fall. ;) you might say it pays to get good at falling or not crashing at all. Problem with crashing on dirt is rocks and trees which are mostly stationary, occasionally you get hit with a flying motorcycle but they are fairly light. Problem with street riding is concrete and moving cars and trucks, trucks really hurt when they hit you. None of my full coverage helmets that I have worn since like forever have hit the ground or anything else.

https://youtu.be/KiU1qqyatVs <- I'm the crash test dummy that caught the motorcycle with my head :headbang: twice in a row actually because he lost it twice with near identical results :D was an awesome day of riding.

Last edited:
Wow, I am too lazy to get on motorcycle to ride that short a distance, I would walk the 800m.

It did remind me of some interesting statistics though. We always feel safer if we are close to home. My only bike against car accident was 34 years ago and was two blocks from the house I lived in. An estimated 52 percent of car accidents occur within 5 miles of a person's home, and 77 percent occur within 15 miles or less, according to a study conducted by Progressive Insurance.

Should also mention I am not judging your choice of headgear, I believe in freedom of choice. Just good to have all the stats in mind when making choices.

I agree that walking that distance might be better. But I usually make up an excuse to ride every time possible, so picking up milk and bread is an opportunity to ride (even though it's less than 5 mins, it still makes me happy). I sometimes ride to a buddy's house just a couple of streets away!
And yeah- I did read up about the high stat of accidents within home radius, but was assuming it was because people end up relaxing and thinking about chores at home that affects concentration.

Last edited:
Buying a novelty helmet, "gearing" up and all, to ride 800m to the store sounds... Impractical. A bicycle has two wheels, and in that distance would be more fun and easier, not to mention starting the bikes engine, warming it up, and all just for that. To each their own though :confused:

Buying a novelty helmet, "gearing" up and all, to ride 800m to the store sounds... Impractical. A bicycle has two wheels, and in that distance would be more fun and easier, not to mention starting the bikes engine, warming it up, and all just for that. To each their own though :confused:

I agree- to each their own.

I would rather do a 800m ride than not riding at all for a day..I don't know, probably one day I might get the maturity to feel content and just let a day go by without feeling bad that I didn't ride (I doubt it though, since it hasn't happened in about 20 years of riding)

Also- moved up from a 250cc carburetor engine to a FI Vulcan 900, so hopefully not too much time spent on "Warming up" the engine.

Last edited:
helmet-impact.jpg

Not sure where this nonsense is coming from, but if you've looked at the statistics you'll find that full-face helmeted riders are overrepresented in fatalities. FF riders generally ride faster bikes, the helmet affords more comfort at high speeds, and they take more risks resulting in death. Though you're better protected from facial injury with a FF, there's no proof they offer better protection from head injury, concussion or death.

Back
Top Bottom