The meaning of life and philosophy | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The meaning of life and philosophy

It’s been mentioned, you have to define success for yourself. It’s not universal.

Some people get married and have kids. Having children or a child is the centre of the universe.

Some can’t or shouldn’t have kids.

Some have a spouse.

Some prefer to be alone.

Some need wealth.

Or combinations of these and more.

I used to have a drive to run the business for which I worked. I owned small business. They were my Oxygen. My life. I would find recreation outside work hours but, my primary focus was building a business.

Falling in love and starting a family changes things. Priorities change. Motives change. Experiences shape your direction.

I found personal wealth didn’t equate to happiness.

Balance seemed to be the thing I wanted. To work and support my family. To find enjoyment in what I do.

To enjoy my time with my family.

And to slow down and smell the roses along the way.

I’m about to change careers. It’s a big change. It can affect many things.

But my current job has evolved in ways that I don’t enjoy it any more. Management hasn’t listen to my recommendations for having a back up for my role or succession planning for the last 4 years.

They have implemented micro management tools to undermine the value and trust of employees.

I can stay and earn a great pension, have a company car and earn a decent wage. At least on paper.

A friend dropped my name to their superior at work. They contacted me to asked if I’d be interested in working for them.

I wasn’t looking at the time but, it did shift my focus to examine things such as my job. My family and should I make a change.

I’ve had meetings to discuss the nuts and bolts of the job. What is involved. Who is involved. Talked to people about their job. What does the future look like for them and stuff like that.

Before getting caught up with how green the grass is, asked myself are the things that annoy me at the current place really that bad or have they become that bad because I’m comparing them to a different place and the new place, I have no experience with.

And there is doing things outside our comfort zone.

It’s easy to stay.

I left my wife 6 years ago. Hardest decision I ever made.

Best decision I ever made.

There was a lot to be grateful for. Three kids. Nice house.

I have a better relationship with my kids. They have better experiences with their Dad.

As it’s often said in the hobby of motorcycling. It’s the journey, not the destination.

Life is like that. It’s what you make of it.

Don’t like it? Do something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The meaning of life? Do whatever it takes to be happy and satisfied in your existence. Job you don't care for, partner you no longer value, parents expectations, it doesn't matter. You live in a country where change has never been easier. Change.

If your tired of people saying you suck? stop sucking.

Always had a happy go lucky attitude with pretty much everything in life.

I have a good job and work with nice people. I could have moved further up the ladder earlier in my career and added more stress to it. At the end of each day i put my head on my pillow and have very few things in the life to worry about.

First thing stop competing with the rat race, who cares what everyone else thinks. And money doesn't buy happiness.

A number of years ago a guru of sorts shared some wisdom.

1) He drew a number of concentric circles and put "Your God" in the centre one, "Family" in the next, "Career" the next and possibly a fourth ring of activities / friends. However the circles weren't solid lines. The various elements had to be able to flow together. You can't be all lovey dovey at home and a tyrant at work without suffering a lot of conflict.

2) He had us list our goals down the left hand column of a page estimating a time frame. Then he dropped the hammer. On the right side we had to calculate how old we and our children would be when the goals were met. A lot of us changed our priorities.

One of the saddest statements I have heard was the wife of a friend saying in a harsh tone "I put up with crap for 45 years but I GOT MY PENSION"

In North America it is common to answer the "What do you do" question with an occupation, plumber, IT, mechanic etc. In more civilized countries the answer would be "I ski", "I ride", "I paint", "I write poetry"

In North America it is common to answer the "What do you do" question with an occupation, plumber, IT, mechanic etc. In more civilized countries the answer would be "I ski", "I ride", "I paint", "I write poetry"

I always answer "I ride motorcycles". Usually followed by "Oh, you want to know what I do during the blocks of my time I sell to my employer to pay for my motorcycling". Work to live.

Sounds like OP is having a quarter life crisis.

It's ok, it gets better. Time to update your perspective.

+1 OP, Quarter life crisis is a thing. Do some reading on it.. the journey to adulthood is a confusing one and finding your place in the world gets more convoluted with the world of social media. The good news is that it's a phase and you eventually work through it, but it's important to find yourself earlier rather than later in life.

Ancient proverb :

When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.

I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.
When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.

Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBwoEXlTph0
skip to 5:30
Perhaps we'll discuss more at bar nights
That sounds like something straight out of some zen book I'm reading lol
And yea, lets wait till the season starts!

Maybe you need to travel the world a bit. Go to Haiti. Or Rwanda. Or any of hundreds of other places to gain some perspective on how 80 or 90 percent of the rest of the world lives. Then come back here and think about how bad you actually have it and how much the "system" that produced the motorcycles you enjoy, the roads on which you enjoy them, a health care system to help and rehab you should you crash, the home that protects you from the cold of winter and the heat of summer etc ad nauseum; the safe, civilized society that allows you to gaze at your navel and wonder such things without worrying if your next sip of water could kill you or if there's an armed militia on its way looking to slaughter you because you're of the wrong tribe or faith.
I've thought about this before so I went to do some reading on it; this just led to lots of anger. Guess why those places never developed? Our development was at the expense of theirs so rather than feeling grateful, I just feel ******.

I mean it more in the sense that you don't always have to work toward making the big bucks so you can buy the bigger SUV that you aren't using off road anyways and usually only have 1 occupant and the big house that you don't even use all of, etc.
I agree with this and am living by that principle. Heck, I even sold my bike at one point (and quickly realized I shot myself in my foot.) I've just got this overwhelming feeling of being "lost."

When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.

I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.
When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.

Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.
This was nice to read...reminds me of the quote I pasted in my signature and clearly forgot about. Thanks for the reminder.

I've noticed the general theme of responses here have to do with "the only person you can change in the world is yourself." Somehow during my quest for answers I forgot that, so really I appreciate the reminder from all of you.

The perspective thing is something I am definitely going to work on but I'll probably need to read a few more books on it for something to actually click.

油井緋色;2548885 said:
I've noticed the general theme of responses here have to do with "the only person you can change in the world is yourself." Somehow during my quest for answers I forgot that, so really I appreciate the reminder from all of you.

The perspective thing is something I am definitely going to work on but I'll probably need to read a few more books on it for something to actually click.

Life experiences > books

The future seems foggy now but it clears up. I found travelling to be an eye opening experience. Met people from all strokes of life who were further and behind than me on the path to figuring it out; reminded myself that I too would figure it out..and I did. Perspective is a hell of a thing.

Money isn’t everything (cough, cliche, cough); your earning power increases exponentially once you have direction.

Detaching from Facebook works wonders as it’s tough to see others in the same age bracket move faster down their own paths.

Just some of the key things that worked for me at he time.

Good luck.

Comes down to ...work to live, don't live to work.

I agree with this 100%...my wife complains about her job quite often. I am quick to remind her that she makes very good money, with that money she is able to do the things she loves to do. We are just trading time here at work, for money for the things that make us happy. (time with family doing activities, the treats we want, the options to make choices.. .).
It could ALWAYS be worse. Love what you have BECAUSE TOMORROW COULD BE A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME OR HAND DEALT TO YOU.

I agree with this 100%...my wife complains about her job quite often. I am quick to remind her that she makes very good money, with that money she is able to do the things she loves to do. We are just trading time here at work, for money for the things that make us happy. (time with family doing activities, the treats we want, the options to make choices.. .).
It could ALWAYS be worse. Love what you have BECAUSE TOMORROW COULD BE A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME OR HAND DEALT TO YOU.

Anyone here complain that they did too much riding last year?

I’m a big believer in work to live. Also you need to like the place you wake up in every day...if not move to a place where you do like it.....New town, city or country even. You work mainly 8 hours a day 5 days a week....you live in the place longer than that. I’m generally happy but these ****** winters try my patience.

Soon as I'm done with some obligations, I'm outta here. Warm all year round with destinations to ride to and in.

Life experiences > books Agreed

your earning power increases exponentially once you have direction This X 1000. I didnt believe in destiny until i recently discovered what it was...and now I firmly believe in it. Once you have direction in life, know what your REALLY meant to do...your potential increases exponentially.

Detaching from Facebook works wonders Huge distraction+1 seriously!

Good luck.

Soon as I'm done with some obligations, I'm outta here. Warm all year round with destinations to ride to and in.

I will compile a list of ideal places to live/semi retire in for the future. They must match certain parameters. Im sure this is not too much to ask.
1. Must be warm year round
2. Must be reasonably safe
3. Must be cheap enough to live off a subsistence level of trickling income

Optional: Beautiful women, beaches and nice riding roads are option but def a bonus.

My sentiments exactly. I already have a few places in mind.

Im sure this is not too much to ask.

Optional: Beautiful women, beaches and nice riding roads are option but def a bonus.

I'm not sure what to say, except first that most people go through the same sh.., cr.., stuff. Maybe its good that I'm calling you average at something?

I will compile a list of ideal places to live/semi retire in for the future. They must match certain parameters. Im sure this is not too much to ask.

Baja peninsula comes to mind...

Theres quite a few places around the world with the words “eternal Spring” used to describe them. I’ve been to two in Panama and they are pretty nice. I started looking into the idea of maybe retiring there in the distant future. Seems like you can live on $1000 a month (US) easily but more would be more comfortable. That’s for everything....accommodation, food, entertainment and bills.

Back
Top Bottom