Male, Toronto, 20, 1987 Kawi 250r GM2 Obtained 2016 New rider insurance, who to Call | GTAMotorcycle.com

Male, Toronto, 20, 1987 Kawi 250r GM2 Obtained 2016 New rider insurance, who to Call

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for the cheapest insurance possible to insure my bike so I can finally practice on the road. I tried researching for insurance since 2016 when I got my m2 but literally no one wanted to insure me. I have a 1987 Kawasaki 250r living in Toronto with GM2 obtained April 2016. Clean record to this day. I will be 21 this July I hope the quotes will drop a bit so I can practice before my G expires. Any new brokers, places, or insurance companies I should give a call? How should I talk to the brokers to get the lowest possible price?

Thanks,

Plenty of brokers advertising on this site, just get your info ready and start calling.

Ask for 1-way insurance on whatever you currently own with high deductibles to drag the monthly payments down.

Dalton Timmis, Mitchell and Whale would be the first two I'd call.

Last edited:
The word cheap and insurance should never appear in the same sentence together :| Try one of the insurance companies that specialize in motorcycle rider insurance, their rates will be comparable and if they won't sell you coverage probably nobody will.
... pretty sure your G license applies to your car driving history only and does nothing towards reducing your M insurance rates, why is your G license going to expire :confused: is going to be only the M portion that has a tombstone date associated with it.

Did you know; you insurance rates lower when you get older, when you get married and assume more responsibilities and for some obscure reason even having a great credit rating can slightly reduce your insurance premiums.

How should I talk to the brokers to get the lowest possible price? Really really politely and professional like, but it won't make one particle of difference in your outrageous liability premiums, the entire system is stacked against us and the only given is that your insurance company is guaranteed to turn an admirable profit at our collective expense.

Might even be a bit higher considering the bike you are riding.
Were something to be damaged, it would be prob extremely hard / impossible to find replacement parts.

I checked in Ontario at least credit has nothing to do with rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old bike may cause you trouble, insurers like vehicles with lots of comparable data. It may be cheaper to buy and insure a much newer 250/300. Let us know if you find a decent rate.

Why is your G expiring? Did you mean your M2?

Anyhow, start calling brokers - I would second Dalton Timmis, they have the biggest selection of underwriters out there.

But yes that older bike may be working against you. The 250 is a plus, but 1987, not so much. Either way, if any underwriter can see through that (ultimately it shouldn't matter THAT much as surely you're looking for liability only, no collision/comprehensive) it'd be Dalton Timmis.

Last edited:
The '87 would be hard to find parts, but the insurance company would just write it off anyway, no?

If he has liability only (which is likely all he could get on an older bike/new rider combo) it's moot as any damage is on the owner anyways, but regardless it seems that many insurers don't want to insure older bikes regardless - could have to do with liability - questionable upkeep by some, older technology (weaker brakes, poorer suspension etc etc), that sort of thing - all that increases the insurers risk profile.

I'm with COSECO for my '12 jetta and an '04 gs500, I pay around $200/m for both, bike was $700/yr to add on to my car policy. I have full coverage since I got a loan to buy the bike. I'm 28, and got my m2 July of 17. COSECO doesn't cover every bike out there, but they'll probably insure a 250

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
*edit* Just saw you're only 20, it's probably going to be harder getting coverage before you're 25. My good friend had to get his mom to get her license, and have him as a secondary rider for a few years when we were younger. But then he only paid like, $11/mo for his 250

Last edited:
Paul and Chris of Surnet Insurance on here are good for new riders who do the rider training courses.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom