Plasti-dipping my bike, color suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plasti-dipping my bike, color suggestions?

HonDerpa500r

Hey all,
After deciding to keep my 500R, I’ve decided I want to out a but of money into it, like getting eliminator kits, levers, blah blah.

My question for you guys is, what colors do you think would pair well? I’m a fan of blue and would like that to be the main focus of the bike, but for accents, I’d like to use a different color.

I was thinking orange would look good, but would definitely like to hear what you guys think. I don’t want it looking like a young kids bike with colors all over the place, but 2 colors that pair well would look pretty good, I think.

Is your bike already beat up? Plasti-dip will decrease the value of your bike if it's in good shape. Yes, it is theoretically removable, but that is a lot of work to do properly and likely won't get done.

keep in mind the money you put into mods, you will likely never be able to get back, and unless you plan on keeping it long term, mods dont make sense

Pink?

JK. Tbh, I wouldn't waste any money on mods especially given this is not your dream bike.

I, too, was considering modding my bike because insurance wouldn't let me upgrade to the bike I really want. But decided against it. Just a waste of money and i feel that it's easier to sell without any aesthetic mods.

Last edited:
Next to dumping your bike on the street, plastidipping is likely the second best way to ruin a bike. Let me know when I can say I told you so.

What does your bike look like right now? Pics? Can't give good advice without seeing the bike I think.. But as others have stated.. unless the paint is jacked up I wouldn't put pasti dip on your bike.. I would get an eliminator though and possibly better levers..

A theme with Honda traditional colours would be alright. Or black. Can't go wrong with black.

black is also statistically shown to be in more accidents, absorbing light, less visibility and all

I have yet to see a plastidip job that looked good, if you want to add some accents get someone to vinyl wrap it, or make some custom decals.

there is nothing wrong with modding a bike, as long as you don't expect get that money back, as much as i've tried in 12 years of owning bikes I did not manage to keep a single bike I owned stock

What does your bike look like right now? Pics? Can't give good advice without seeing the bike I think.. But as others have stated.. unless the paint is jacked up I wouldn't put pasti dip on your bike.. I would get an eliminator though and possibly better levers..

It’s just the standard grey color that the 2015 CBR500R came in.
It’s never been dropped and has less than 5k kms on it.

I don’t mind spending a couple hundred bucks on the bike, since I’ll probably be keeping it for at least 2 more seasons.
I know mods don’t increase the value of it, but I’d definitely enjoy it myself if the bike had mods on it.

I have yet to see a plastidip job that looked good, if you want to add some accents get someone to vinyl wrap it, or make some custom decals.

there is nothing wrong with modding a bike, as long as you don't expect get that money back, as much as i've tried in 12 years of owning bikes I did not manage to keep a single bike I owned stock

I’m in the same boat as you. Havent been able to keep any of my vehicles stock. My current truck has 12 grand worth of aftermarket parts on it. I have no self control.

black is also statistically shown to be in more accidents, absorbing light, less visibility and all

White or bust! Least amount of accidents :D

I’m in the same boat as you. Havent been able to keep any of my vehicles stock. My current truck has 12 grand worth of aftermarket parts on it. I have no self control.

I say go for it, i think the matte dips can come out okay. Personally if i were ever to do it i'd go Urban Camo just because.

Have you considered Water Transfer Painting? You could get something really unique going. I saw a R125 in Thailand that someone used a 90s Iron Man comic on, looked really cool. Dunno how well they hold up though.

Last edited:
1. Plasti-dip is better than a vinyl wrap, first because there is no adhesive to leave behind a residue when removed, second because it's a fraction of the cost, third because it's a liquid, it goes on without the possibility of wrinkles or seams for water and dirt to get under.
2. How good or bad a plasti-dip job looks, is 100% up to the installer, not the product.
3. The ease of removal is once again, 100% up to the installer. Many will cheap out and apply it way to thin, making removal without a solvent nearly impossible. If applied correctly, Plasti-dip will hold better and longer than any wrap film, until you want to remove it on purpose, and then it will peel much easier than any wrap film.
4. It is true, that you will not ever see any direct return on this type of mod, as you can't resell it like other parts, and many people don't care for this type of mod. However, if you dip for example, a brand new bike, and do it properly, if you peel it off 3 years later, you will still have a brand new looking bike.

When I decide to start shopping for a CBR, if I can't find a repsol 500r, then I will likely end up dipping orange. Dip is actually great for the motorcycle world, because most models are only available in one color. I don't want a red CBR, I want an orange one.

OP, if you plan on returning the bike to stock before resale in the future, you may want to consider picking up a decal kit now while it's still readily available for your bike. Since for the smoothest look and best outcome, I'd recommend removing all decals before applying the dip.

i would spend the money on upgrading your gear, riding boots, riding pants etc.
but if you decide on the mods, the fender eliminator you can make yourself (i just made one for my bike-lots of diy on youtube)
As stated above the mods usually don't pay for it self during resale so make sure you able to put back the OEM parts and sell the aftermarket parts separately

It’s your bike, do as you wish, hell it’s part of bike ownership

I did the plasti dip as well, before I decided on the final colour scheme

P8blZx0.jpg

And then I painted the bike

1h0eugI.jpg

Just be aware, areas that get rubbed a lot tend to rub the finish off rather quickly, fenders and such stay good for long periods of time

Have fun and enjoy

Wrap it or paint it.

I've never seen a dip job that looked good.

It looks cheap, you need an air gun to get a non streaky job on large areas, and its textured which makes it a dirt magnet and hard to wash.

If you were doing small parts ie: wheels, fenders I would say dip.

Doing a whole bike, i say get it wrapped, or spend the $$ and have it repainted.

Back
Top Bottom