Shifter lever install | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shifter lever install

arogal

Hi everyone!
My oem shifter lever arrived at a local shop and Il be picking it up Saturday. I haven't been able to see anything online or on the forums about replacing the shifter lever on the '09-'12 zx6r. I need to replace only the lever, not the whole tie rod. From looking at what needs to be done, I think all I need to do is take the bolt out that hold the shifter in place and unscrew the tie rod from the old lever into the new one? I see there is a threaded piece on the lever, so I'm assuming that piece screws into the tie rod.
For anyone that's done this before, is there any tips or tricks to this install, or is it pretty self explanatory?
Thanks!!

Pretty straight forward. Take a couple of reference measurements to get it back to the same angle....or adjust it now while it's apart.

If you purchased the shift lever...this costed you about $120ish right?
That lever would have that pivot already installed on it.

So you
(i) take the bolt that the shifter pivots on...
(ii) then unthread the shifter rod (measure check prior) then get the new part....
(iii) screw the shifter rod with the jam nut in
(iv) re-install the pivot bolt and off you go.

Sometimes the new shifter arm assembly would not include the rubber damper.
You can remove that and install with some soap to slide it out.

**make sure you use blue thread locker...as these are prone to loosing up from vibratio

Last edited:
If you purchased the shift lever...this costed you about $120ish right?
That lever would have that pivot already installed on it.

So you
(i) take the bolt that the shifter pivots on...
(ii) then unthread the shifter rod (measure check prior) then get the new part....
(iii) screw the shifter rod with the jam nut in
(iv) re-install the pivot bolt and off you go.

Sometimes the new shifter arm assembly would not include the rubber damper.
You can remove that and install with some soap to slide it out.

**make sure you use blue thread locker...as these are prone to loosing up from vibratio

Ya the OEM Kawasaki shift lever was $110. I didn't wanna get rear sets, and I don't trust a piece like this which is used so often from China (Ebay, Amazon Etc). Thank you kindly for the tips. So I don't need to completely disassemble the tie rod assembly and the shifter? Just unthread the shifter from the assembly and thread her back in? I was thinking of maybe using some chalk or a dot of whit out so it will be back to the same spot as previous.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
My oem shifter lever arrived at a local shop and Il be picking it up Saturday. I haven't been able to see anything online or on the forums about replacing the shifter lever on the '09-'12 zx6r. I need to replace only the lever, not the whole tie rod. From looking at what needs to be done, I think all I need to do is take the bolt out that hold the shifter in place and unscrew the tie rod from the old lever into the new one? I see there is a threaded piece on the lever, so I'm assuming that piece screws into the tie rod.
For anyone that's done this before, is there any tips or tricks to this install, or is it pretty self explanatory?
Thanks!!

Best bet ... YouTube

Ya the OEM Kawasaki shift lever was $110. I didn't wanna get rear sets, and I don't trust a piece like this which is used so often from China (Ebay, Amazon Etc). Thank you kindly for the tips. So I don't need to completely disassemble the tie rod assembly and the shifter? Just unthread the shifter from the assembly and thread her back in? I was thinking of maybe using some chalk or a dot of whit out so it will be back to the same spot as previous.
Thanks again!

"..completely disassemble the tie rod assembly.." Well you cannot disassemble it at the joint (tie rod) is permanently attached to the shifter lever.

Yes - it is a great idea to mark the components. it might be better to use a sharpie as that won't get erased as easily - and measure the length of the rod so you get around the same length as before.

This job will be much easier - if you remove the pinch bolt on the other end, so the entire shifter rod is off.

"..completely disassemble the tie rod assembly.." Well you cannot disassemble it at the joint (tie rod) is permanently attached to the shifter lever.

Yes - it is a great idea to mark the components. it might be better to use a sharpie as that won't get erased as easily - and measure the length of the rod so you get around the same length as before.

This job will be much easier - if you remove the pinch bolt on the other end, so the entire shifter rod is off.

Perfect. Sounds super straight forward, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Putting shifter in tomorrow cause I want to get out for a short ride on Sunday!

Perfect. Sounds super straight forward, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Putting shifter in tomorrow cause I want to get out for a short ride on Sunday!

dont forget thread locker...so that will vibrate loose

Install was a joke. I didn't even need to take the whole tie rod off. Had a buddy use pliers on the tie rod so I could un torque the bolt that holds the shifter into the rod. Took a total of 5 minutes. I don't see a reason to disassemble the whole thing. Maybe I would have needed to if I didn't have extra set of hands

Back
Top Bottom