Solo touring | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Solo touring

Touring for me has always been an escape, and for the most part has been solo. Tried touring with a buddy many years ago and had an absolutely terrible experience. Have had fun on some group rides though.

I have encountered a few issues while touring that if I had someone with me would have made things a lot easier. If I was a more reflective person would give me significant pause. May finally look into a Spot or similar.

- Got lost in Hyner View Park, leading me to get the bike stuck, followed by a ~25km hike and wading across the river to find help
- Ran out of gas in a remote part of New Mexico, took about four hours to get gas from a passerby
- Crashed on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, resulting in a broken arm. Thankfully crashed in front of a couple taking a break, no cell phone reception where I crashed
- Broke clutch in the middle of the Cherohala Skyway, no cell phone reception. Took most of the day to get the bike on a tow truck.

- Got lost in Hyner View Park, leading me to get the bike stuck, followed by a ~25km hike and wading across the river to find help
- Ran out of gas in a remote part of New Mexico, took about four hours to get gas from a passerby
- Crashed on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, resulting in a broken arm. Thankfully crashed in front of a couple taking a break, no cell phone reception where I crashed
- Broke clutch in the middle of the Cherohala Skyway, no cell phone reception. Took most of the day to get the bike on a tow truck.
That sucks x4

I'll be doing Burlington to Vancouver and back solo this summer... 'Looking fwd to it immensely.
I was never opposed to company, but none of the guys I know who I'd ride with can do it this year... Or they have other plans... Or, their wife says no.

In my experience every rider you add builds up the stopping time, be it gas stops, food stops, bathroom stops, whatever. On my own I pull in to fill up and usually stay seated on the bike while I fill and then head off. Add more riders and someone needs the bathroom, wants a drink quickly, a bite to eat. Trips I have done in 6 hours will sometimes take 8 or more hours to do with others. It is not a bad thing, much more social obviously.

which isnt a very big deal on a 1 day ride, but by the end of a week long trip it gets annoying

I’ve travelled quite a bit over the last 6 – 7 years
Well over 180000kms.
I never really had trouble with the “what ifs”
I did get a little freaked out once when I spent the night near the Golden Gate Bridge.
Sitting in the motel it suddenly hit me…”it will take at least 5 days to get home”…yikes!
I’ve traveled alone and in groups.
Its true…groups take longer but you should expect that
Chatting smoking stretching pissing or whatever adds into the time stopped.
This doesn’t bother me much cause like I said you should expect it.
I took 5 bikes to Sturgis once…I organized it and set the pace.
Everyone had a great time with no complaints.
One of the things I love about traveling is meeting new people.
All riders love to hang out in the parking lot at night over a couple of beers.
I’ve met so many great people this way.
I’ve been lucky over the years as far as to not running into knuckheads.
I think most people in general are good people.
This spring I’m taking a small group to lunch at Letchworth Park then spend the night in Canadaigua.
I’ll do my usual solo trips….not sure what big I’ll get to do this year.
A must stop this year will be to Hillbilly Hot Dog again

IMG_20171020_151448.jpg

I'll be doing Burlington to Vancouver and back solo this summer... 'Looking fwd to it immensely.
I was never opposed to company, but none of the guys I know who I'd ride with can do it this year... Or they have other plans... Or, their wife says no.

Very curious how much time you plan to do this, and your possible route.

Part of my issue with anything other than solo or my kid is photo stops. I want the trip available on screen.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPtIajCCoOL5oL7amkx_sg50qHz5FgB4cN2RMl9

pZZz0TTY7u4VmacRnO5DRJi3kD5LT-3qAdw4MCuLeKIFREH6E83iKEmwLswMHnbmRrAapY3jw6txWBS7-R11U29ycr0uVaNvuMss0vAppZGXDCorBU3YkoGBSQcQzE9QzKxaEa-c5Il3X_0oVkAowULj3xFVjgfvcUPeVeb9oiQeqQVa0vb1479J9OF5UNrfWjKUv3uMOXGn_sPn5FqSnPhllyQwz3kJkAx9xHfE7WEdxkM2nLhQGe1ZpabYeqC87onRKMiN0RvNsSWJMBzLR6O-8WgNjZsWoHsj_5StkFwKRlr2oAAIzaOiABdPVieiKBlVCl7JzZulc4ptskjJ_PJ7FAlds8rKgfyi6f4k7s7e3gjAPPxeg55w6AdBR3cCHt_TAtMauIu_aCPzLw_KyG0GqI-NeNVJnIHiZAjqfiEsqLf8Ga1mvPv1D2DE770pInoNnwuSUHIojVddDcsbkxUZi94bdSEr8feacD4EJCGOv4VZDkyTndiZ7z6y5a40D3g1b1N8ChZqo2rlEnfIoASdzTOZWWG3QUpmAEylqOsUyTHCi69rjFsh_Z4Xz8Rjb0i4m0ZcOti_PZDgoFvWXyHOXvbV8YU3vm02Sxh2=w540-h304-no

and while I will shoot on the fly some shots I take a little time with and it immediately takes me to the place and time when I let them run as a random slide show.....I have no use for videos.

I forgot to check out CAA at the show on the week-end. I must have missed the booth. Anyhow

Do most of you have CAA for touring? What about extra insurance (medical and vehicle) when you dip into, or go into, the USA?

CAA Plus, and work provides travel medical if needed.

Very curious how much time you plan to do this, and your possible route.

The route...?
Keeping it simple... Trans Canada.
As in the past when driving out west, I'll probably head up to Tobermory and take the Chi-CheeMaun ferry to Manitoulin Island and then ride on from there.
I plan to spend some time in the Okanagan (Penticton) and at some point ride out to Vancouver for a few days. 'Have family and friends in the Okanagan and Vancouver.
I've driven to Penticton in four days no problem, so I figure it'll take me five on the bike if I push it, but... I don't really have to "push it". If it takes longer... No big deal, I have the time.
Plan is be on the road by 08:00 every day and stopped for the night by 18:00.
Bike is a '16 FJR1300ES with a Sargent seat (Which is awsome), OEM tall touring windscreen and a GIVI V47 top case added.
I can literally ride that thing all day.

207re6a.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on solo rides. I always tour solo, furthest I've gone alone is the Cabot trail. Weekend/day trips riding with anyone else + short riding days from my experience. I just don't like following or being followed; I'd rather have my mind clear to enjoy the scenery

Part of my issue with anything other than solo or my kid is photo stops. I want the trip available on screen.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPtIajCCoOL5oL7amkx_sg50qHz5FgB4cN2RMl9

pZZz0TTY7u4VmacRnO5DRJi3kD5LT-3qAdw4MCuLeKIFREH6E83iKEmwLswMHnbmRrAapY3jw6txWBS7-R11U29ycr0uVaNvuMss0vAppZGXDCorBU3YkoGBSQcQzE9QzKxaEa-c5Il3X_0oVkAowULj3xFVjgfvcUPeVeb9oiQeqQVa0vb1479J9OF5UNrfWjKUv3uMOXGn_sPn5FqSnPhllyQwz3kJkAx9xHfE7WEdxkM2nLhQGe1ZpabYeqC87onRKMiN0RvNsSWJMBzLR6O-8WgNjZsWoHsj_5StkFwKRlr2oAAIzaOiABdPVieiKBlVCl7JzZulc4ptskjJ_PJ7FAlds8rKgfyi6f4k7s7e3gjAPPxeg55w6AdBR3cCHt_TAtMauIu_aCPzLw_KyG0GqI-NeNVJnIHiZAjqfiEsqLf8Ga1mvPv1D2DE770pInoNnwuSUHIojVddDcsbkxUZi94bdSEr8feacD4EJCGOv4VZDkyTndiZ7z6y5a40D3g1b1N8ChZqo2rlEnfIoASdzTOZWWG3QUpmAEylqOsUyTHCi69rjFsh_Z4Xz8Rjb0i4m0ZcOti_PZDgoFvWXyHOXvbV8YU3vm02Sxh2=w540-h304-no

and while I will shoot on the fly some shots I take a little time with and it immediately takes me to the place and time when I let them run as a random slide show.....I have no use for videos.

I am opposite of that. I snap a few pictures here and there but prefer to being in the moment rather then trying to capture a brief glimpse of it. Last year was out in Utah and Colorado, best riding of my life and think I came back with maybe 15 pictures. I find as nice as the pictures are they never really bring me back to that moment and would rather take it in and have the memory then the photo. Just me.

I am opposite of that. I snap a few pictures here and there but prefer to being in the moment rather then trying to capture a brief glimpse of it. Last year was out in Utah and Colorado, best riding of my life and think I came back with maybe 15 pictures. I find as nice as the pictures are they never really bring me back to that moment and would rather take it in and have the memory then the photo. Just me.

I am with you. I have lived and worked in many places around the World. Taken a few pictures here and there but to me never the same as to actual have been in the moment.
It is a personal feeling. For example, what stands out is the aura and even the smell. Which can not be captured on camera/video.
When I come home unless something happened on the trip to rate it as special, I delete everything. (Go Pro, camera front and rear)

The odd picture is needed or it didn't happen. However the glut of so-so photos are better gleaned from the net. When I rode to Mount Rushmore I was away about 10 days. I only spent about ten minutes there and got my picture with George, Tom, Ted and Abe in the background.

That said digital has a down side in that we don't end up with boxes of old pictures that we discover years later. We've been cleaning out closets and fanning through old print albums stirs a lot on memories. Good golly Miss Molly, I had hair back then.

Back
Top Bottom