Solo touring | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Solo touring

How do you like the Delorme? My Spot works OK but the set up isn't all that intuitive. My GPS choice has always been Garmin, easy to use.

the DeLorme is pretty good. I like that you can pay a stand by fee when you’re not using it rather than an expensive monthly fee over the winter. If you get the DeLorme branded one rather than the Garmin it essentially does the same thing but the unit is cheaper as they are often on sale as they are older stock, Garmin bought the brand out. It also has gps maps built in as a backup and you can set up a plan with a certain number of satellite text messages which is what I do. Set up seems fine on a straight forward web based system.

I've been doing more of my riding solo the last few years -- Easier to pick when and where to ride, no dealing with people wanting to break the sound barrier all the time, can control how long and when I want to stop/need to stop for gas, etc, etc.

That said, I haven't toured into the US yet or done more than day rides, but I am thinking about solo'ing into the US maybe in the next 1-2 years (5 days in Placcid or something). Have a Sena, Zumo, and looking at adding TPMS, plus have CAA, so most of the bases should be covered.

Lake Placid is a total tourist trap. Expensive accommodations and it’s rammed with people during high season. It is a decent base for travelling around the Adirondacks but look at the smaller towns for better deals. I like Old Forge and places around there. Even Lake George is a little better as there’s a range of places for different budgets and there you can easily head into Vermont too.

'Funny how we've become so soft and reliant upon technology.
GPS, cell phones... How the hell did we leave the house b4 we had all this stuff... Lol.

I've got a ride to Vancouver planned this summer... I "was" caught up in the whole GPS, route planning thing until I realized... I know which way east west north and south are and we'll.... I can just follow the road signs.
'Done it b4... First drive to Vancouver was in 1993... no GPS... made it no problem

My Squeeze and I ride with paper maps and no cell phone or GPS. The sun still comes up every morning.
I mentioned this on a thread before and was mildly flamed for "endangering my wife". What a crock. I showed it to the Squeeze and she called the guys pussys. I think she was spot on.

Lake Placid is a total tourist trap. Expensive accommodations and it’s rammed with people during high season. It is a decent base for travelling around the Adirondacks but look at the smaller towns for better deals. I like Old Forge and places around there. Even Lake George is a little better as there’s a range of places for different budgets and there you can easily head into Vermont too.
I agree.
Placid is nice for a day/night
But I'd recommend seeing some of the finger lakes spots too.

And just a bit east into Vermont is beautiful. Green Mountains are some nice riding.

my squeeze and i ride with paper maps and no cell phone or gps. The sun still comes up every morning.
I mentioned this on a thread before and was mildly flamed for "endangering my wife". What a crock. I showed it to the squeeze and she called the guys pussys. I think she was spot on.

this

My Squeeze and I ride with paper maps and no cell phone or GPS. The sun still comes up every morning.
I mentioned this on a thread before and was mildly flamed for "endangering my wife". What a crock. I showed it to the Squeeze and she called the guys pussys. I think she was spot on.

Maybe it's relative to how you said it?

I like riding solo. Gives me the freedom to go and stop when I want, where I want.

I like riding with one other person. It allows me to share the experience with somebody else.

I like riding in small groups of 3-4 people that I know very well. We all ride at the same skill level and when we stop, there's always something to laugh and joke about something that happened on the road.

I like riding in larger groups, you get to meet new people and be social.

I like riding.

It's part of the point the solitude and freedom to do what you want. :cool:

I always stay in Old Forge when in the Adirondacks. A wide range of lodging options from cheap to expensive. Old Forge Camp Group just on the east side of down is really cheap for tents and they have nice facilities.

I ride solo most times tho did both coasts with my son and that was fine....I do like to chat and be able to communicate when riding together...gas stops, pit stops and potential dangers....we found rear rider navigating and front rider keeping an eye on conditions worked best.

Haven't been remote very often so Spot seems not worth it but still a thought. Lots planned this summer.

Riding with Winding Roads on the TomTom app is just a treat. I only plan loosely where I want to be and then let it find the fun roads on the way.

Nice thing with going solo is looking at the weather and doing say a Lake Superior loop just because it was too hot in Toronto in June and just nice at 6 am when I left. Called staff from Sudbury to let them know.

I really don't like to overplan

Last edited:
anything more than 3 riders becomes a pain to manage on a multi day ride IMO, have done solo day rides which was fun but never actually toured solo would definitely be worried about the "what ifs"

People have ended up under a pile of leaves in the ditch up near the zoo, so you don't have to go far from home to have serious issues. You just have to miss a turn, which unfortunately, isn't that uncommon.

anything more than 3 riders becomes a pain to manage on a multi day ride IMO, have done solo day rides which was fun but never actually toured solo would definitely be worried about the "what ifs"

In my experience every rider you add builds up the stopping time, be it gas stops, food stops, bathroom stops, whatever. On my own I pull in to fill up and usually stay seated on the bike while I fill and then head off. Add more riders and someone needs the bathroom, wants a drink quickly, a bite to eat. Trips I have done in 6 hours will sometimes take 8 or more hours to do with others. It is not a bad thing, much more social obviously.

In my experience every rider you add builds up the stopping time, be it gas stops, food stops, bathroom stops, whatever. On my own I pull in to fill up and usually stay seated on the bike while I fill and then head off. Add more riders and someone needs the bathroom, wants a drink quickly, a bite to eat. Trips I have done in 6 hours will sometimes take 8 or more hours to do with others. It is not a bad thing, much more social obviously.

yup
my group rides are with actual friends
rather than try to stay together in a train
we usually end up in 3 sub groups
a few guys like to go fast
the bikes vary so some have longer range than others
as we decide in the morning where we want to be that evening
it's not a big deal if we split up a bit
it's nice to be able to stop and smell the roses if you want
and if one guy needs gas and a poop
don't end up with 6 guys sitting there waiting
all are GPS equipped so the tech is there
to ensure a nice dinner/beer session at the end of the day

but this would probably not work with a group that doesn't know each other well
and takes a bit of maturity as there is no leader, or pace to follow

Last edited:
I've toured over much of NA using only paper maps and only the last time with a cell. Only time I was off track was following someone using their GPS. lol

I forgot to check out CAA at the show on the week-end. I must have missed the booth. Anyhow

Do most of you have CAA for touring? What about extra insurance (medical and vehicle) when you dip into, or go into, the USA?

I forgot to check out CAA at the show on the week-end. I must have missed the booth. Anyhow

Do most of you have CAA for touring? What about extra insurance (medical and vehicle) when you dip into, or go into, the USA?

CAA plus and medical insurance for me. I've never purchased additional vehicle insurance (why would you need it if you stayed on public roads?)

CAA plus coverage includes motorcycles. Always good to have whether touring or just out riding local. Only had to use it once (snapped clutch cable) years ago but great to know it’s there and you’re covered on the car, RV, trailer...and bicycle too.

CAA plus card, it gets some decent hotels/meal discounts as well as help if needed
BMW owners club card, some decent hotel/meal discounts
Visa card, MC, US visa card
Cell phone

its how I leave the house every day, riding , driving , walking the dog .

I'm happy solo or 2 -4 people , anymore is just really hard to manage. Resteraunt booths hold 4 , crappy hotels hold 4 , case of beer divides easily by 4

I'm not concerned about the "what if's". Cell phone, CAA, credit card and you're covered

I prefer to tour solo. I enjoy when my wife comes with me but I have to plan for shorter days with more breaks.

Back
Top Bottom