Solo touring | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Solo touring

I've always had CAA Plus since I was in my teens. The relatively small annual fee is well worth it to me for the times I've needed it. I even used it to bring my bike to Toronto when I purchased it. In fact I was in Muskoka when it arrived and my wife sent me a picture after they unloaded it from the flatbed. I have medical/health/travel insurance with my credit card and wouldn't really consider out of country tours without some form of coverage. Medical expenses can be absurd in the USA if you don't have coverage.

I forgot to check out CAA at the show on the week-end. I must have missed the booth. Anyhow

Do most of you have CAA for touring? What about extra insurance (medical and vehicle) when you dip into, or go into, the USA?

The odd picture is needed or it didn't happen. However the glut of so-so photos are better gleaned from the net. When I rode to Mount Rushmore I was away about 10 days. I only spent about ten minutes there and got my picture with George, Tom, Ted and Abe in the background.

That said digital has a down side in that we don't end up with boxes of old pictures that we discover years later. We've been cleaning out closets and fanning through old print albums stirs a lot on memories. Good golly Miss Molly, I had hair back then.

oh I agree, I usually snap one or two to mark the location and that I did indeed go there. I used to snap and snap and snap away to excess. Years ago I was on a trip in Egypt and Israel for 14 days, came home with 2000+ pictures on my digital camera. So much wasted time trying to catch that right shadow or angle rather then being in the moment. I regret it, despite the mass amount of photos I have to remember it by.

Converted all my old pics to digital and the best are my wallpapers. Took years to convert. Looking back, it's the pics of places that help me remember them or to share with "proof" I was there.

oh I agree, I usually snap one or two to mark the location and that I did indeed go there. I used to snap and snap and snap away to excess. Years ago I was on a trip in Egypt and Israel for 14 days, came home with 2000+ pictures on my digital camera. So much wasted time trying to catch that right shadow or angle rather then being in the moment. I regret it, despite the mass amount of photos I have to remember it by.

My brother-in-law at STS 95, saw the entire shuttle launch, through the lenses of a camcorder.

Caught some Olympic coverage showing the audience.....many were watching the event on their phones recording the event. What's the point? Be there to be there, not in front of a screen.

+1 on solo rides. I always tour solo, furthest I've gone alone is the Cabot trail. Weekend/day trips riding with anyone else + short riding days from my experience. I just don't like following or being followed; I'd rather have my mind clear to enjoy the scenery

I, on the other hand love to follow a leader. No worrying where we are, just enjoy the ride. When we get to an intersection and those who care ride up to gather and try to determine the way I have time to relax get a sip of water and be ready for more.

Caught some Olympic coverage showing the audience.....many were watching the event on their phones recording the event. What's the point? Be there to be there, not in front of a screen.

Years ago my wife and a bunch of her co-workers were rewarded for a special project by getting to view a Jays game from the company's VIP box. We watched the game on the monitors, while imbibing and snacking on much tastier things than nacho chips.

That's more of a party atmosphere and that far up, the monitors get you in closer. The clips I saw the ppl were literally watching the event thru their phones. Though if they zoomed in, it would be like using binoculars maybe.

I do not go to a lot of concerts but have been to a few smaller venues for really talented acoustic artists. Baffles me how many people stand there recording the entire night on their phone rather then actually enjoying the moment.

Some pretty good logic here of why you benefit by riding alone. How many complain of their significant-other taking too long to get ready, or not wanting to go places they want to go, and so on. Then with a group tour it's multiplied times 10. I'm reminded of the prophetic words, those that love their life will lose it.... Many are so overly worried about safety that it really makes me wonder why they even ride at all?

I used to be anti-camera for some of the reasons stated but with todays small but highly capable cameras I now regret NOT having done more in the past.
Partner and I travel a lot and find letting the photos roll through in random order brings back memories and reinforces the good times.

It's also a reminder to stop and both look and shoot.....often at the same time as there is no need to use the viewfinder for many landscape kind of photos.
Editing and dumping the marginal ones is also a way to relive the experience. Every time I see one with my son from our Western 3 week trip memories flood back and that kind of trip will not likely occur again.

The road to Port Albernie was very much in the now - just so much fun and the photos bring that back.

Bring a big grin to my face recalling the crazy wall to wall traffic in Yellowstone and wandering bison. We were dressed for Beartooth and were just cooking in the valley in June and was Father's day traffic..we were soaked inside our cold weather gerar so we stopped before the climb and dried off in the sun. Bikes looked akin to motorized drying racks.

v2

Good times - but they should be available to be seen regularly in a random slideshow not something you have to look for.
I'm always finding overlooked gems and rescuing them and re-naming them so I can locate later. Bit of work but pleasurable.

I share them with my partner and with the kid when I come across an unusual one or even sometimes " where the hell was that !!!".
They are always running in the background or on one or other of the screens ...sometimes both.

Memories get foggy and fade but the photos brings you back to the moment. It's a balance.

I forgot to check out CAA at the show on the week-end. I must have missed the booth. Anyhow

Do most of you have CAA for touring? What about extra insurance (medical and vehicle) when you dip into, or go into, the USA?

Just travel insurance - never had CAA.
J

CA Premium for motorcycle and medical is a must have for US travel ....some credit cards cover you for 4 days medical but I'd not chance it ....CAA medical not expensive

I think the 4 day of coverage sometimes applies to persons over 65. With my Visa, I get 21 days of coverage for up to $1mil, but that goes down to 4 days once over 65.

I, on the other hand love to follow a leader. No worrying where we are, just enjoy the ride. When we get to an intersection and those who care ride up to gather and try to determine the way I have time to relax get a sip of water and be ready for more.

I don't mind leading at all and I often do but it does burn me out eventually, after 3-4 days. On a longer group ride I usually need a back up leader in order to relax and rest.
Also, when you lead you get to do all the road killing ... (which is not my favorite thing exactly)

Following a good leader is quite soothing. I can focus on surroundings more.
Downside is breathing exhaust fumes.

I don't mind leading at all and I often do but it does burn me out eventually, after 3-4 days. On a longer group ride I usually need a back up leader in order to relax and rest.
Also, when you lead you get to do all the road killing ... (which is not my favorite thing exactly)

Downside is breathing exhaust fumes.

I always do the leading for group trips. Mainly because I do all the plotting and routing and have the nav. Would rather ride and not have anyone in front of me.

Everyone should check their card ...

Yes, absolutely. Mine covers me for up to 15 days with an annual cap on number of days. While it's pretty tedious take the time to read the contract so you know what is covered and what is not + take the contract with you when you travel.

We found on our west coast 3 weeker that having the navigator in the rear position ( two of us ) was easier - telling the the front rider where to turn while front rider kept an eye on road conditions etc.

Led to some interesting fun on the Port Albernie road ( fantastic ride ) as kid would go ahead and pass then tell me when it was safe sometimes even on blind corners which gave the cagers fits :D

Back
Top Bottom