New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call?

+1 for the gsxs 750

Its under 750 cc and its not considered a super sport
I got fairly reasonable quotes for it, and it makes about 110 hp at the crank? Abs, TC, and its got good brakes and suspension. I was considering it for a while before i discovered 3 cylinders

The cb650f isnt bad either, inline 4 just like the gsxs, but probably more tame

I test rode a CBR650F before I decided on my FZ8S (which, BTW, along with its FZ8 naked cousin is worth looking into as well...) and liked it overall. The only reason I got the FZ8S was because the dealer wouldn't budge on the price of the 4000km demo 650. Insurance quotes for it and the FZ8S were pretty close to the CBR500R I had at the time.

$2300 for insurance on a CBR650F is what I got quoted.
I’ll probably just end up keeping the 500R for this season so I at least get a year in under my belt so the insjrance will go down next season when I upgrade.

meh....insurance is boring

your'e young OP
and want a Gixxer

the important thing to ask your self

is can you wheelie under the Gardiner?

I’ll probably just end up keeping the 500R for this season so I at least get a year in under my belt so the insjrance will go down next season when I upgrade.

From what I've observed here over the years, Supersport insurance won't go down until you're >30-35YO with at least 5 accident/ticket free full M licence under your belt.

$2300 for insurance on a CBR650F is what I got quoted.

Sounds like a plan. Hope to see you at the meetups!

Did you call TD?

I'm 27, got my M2 in 2013, rode 2 years. Then I didn't drive/ride/was uninsured for 2015 and 2016, then got my M license in 2017. I pay 3000k/yr on a 600 supersport in downtown Toronto. I have a squeaky clean record tho and have been driving literally since the first day I've legally been able to.

Did you call TD?

I'm 27, got my M2 in 2013, rode 2 years. Then I didn't drive/ride/was uninsured for 2015 and 2016, then got my M license in 2017. I pay 3000k/yr on a 600 supersport in downtown Toronto. I have a squeaky clean record tho and have been driving literally since the first day I've legally been able to.

Did TD force you to get an alarm system installed professionally ?

Did you call TD?

should have gone naked bro

Nah, they didn't.

If I had a nickel each time I've heard that...
Interesting. They tried to force me, needless to say I went some place else.

I also don't like how we have to pay the entire premium over 6 months instead of spread out throughout the year.

Honestly a move from 500r to 650f is barely worth it. I have a 500x myself.

Like i get the sound thing and what not... i do like a good sound (personally i prefer how triples sound over 4-cyl) but i've ridden the tamer 600 range (650f, 690 duke) and although the extra power is kinda nice, it's not such a huge difference.

Now the supersport you were looking at, the gixxer, would've been a much bigger difference but yeah i was paying close to the same rate as you when i first started 3-4 years ago. Now i've gone over 30y old and im paying about half that. Still on my 500x about 30k km later. Ive done long ride (to mtl-qc city and back), i've done some spirited rides with some SS (following at the back), i've done some fire roads up north, i've done countless miles of commuting, honestly it can do it all and it's still a fun and balanced bike

didnt they update the 650f? Makes around 90 hp at the crank? thats a decent upgrade from the cbr500

didnt they update the 650f? Makes around 90 hp at the crank? thats a decent upgrade from the cbr500
True, but honestly i'm just taking a bunch of comparisons from my experience and friend's experience. I haven't tried the new one so i don't know about it. It's more powerful than the fz 07 by a slight margin but when i rode the 650f and the duke 690... i i didnt feel that much more power compared to the 500. It was definitely there, but nothing jaw dropping. Kinda underwhelming vs what i expected.

FJ09 was more where i expected it to be. Where i didn't have to shift that much more than 2nd gear to get most of the " around town " power i needed.

So what i'm saying is that 500r --> 600ss = definitely a big difference
500r --> "650" bike, more linear, minor difference.

Especially for the difference in insurance cost for him, i'd say not worth it. I'd say stick with what you got so far and upgrade when insurance becomes more reasonable

i would just drop the ss idea altoghether...i still cant believe guys who have some experience still get quoted insane numbers...no point in even considering unless you over 35 and riding for 5-10 years...and by then you realize theres no point in riding a ss on the road and your body starts aching when you ride those bikes anyway

Did you call TD?

Damn. Are you combined with multiple bikes, cars, or a house?

Im 22 with an m2. Looks like I have to wait 3 more years for a similiar rate..

Damn. Are you combined with multiple bikes, cars, or a house?

Im 22 with an m2. Looks like I have to wait 3 more years for a similiar rate..

Nah man. At the time I only had my bike. I recently bought a car that I also put with TD but it had next to no effect on my rates.

Back
Top Bottom