New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call?

True, but honestly i'm just taking a bunch of comparisons from my experience and friend's experience. I haven't tried the new one so i don't know about it. It's more powerful than the fz 07 by a slight margin but when i rode the 650f and the duke 690... i i didnt feel that much more power compared to the 500. It was definitely there, but nothing jaw dropping. Kinda underwhelming vs what i expected.

FJ09 was more where i expected it to be. Where i didn't have to shift that much more than 2nd gear to get most of the " around town " power i needed.

So what i'm saying is that 500r --> 600ss = definitely a big difference
500r --> "650" bike, more linear, minor difference.

Especially for the difference in insurance cost for him, i'd say not worth it. I'd say stick with what you got so far and upgrade when insurance becomes more reasonable

I was cross shopping for the 650F when I bought my bike and every insurance company basically told me they treat it like an SS. There's not much value in pussyfooting it on sports bikes; either go balls out and spend the money on what you want, or get a naked bike... maybe a Monster; they seem to have reasonable insurance rates.

I was cross shopping for the 650F when I bought my bike and every insurance company basically told me they treat it like an SS. There's not much value in pussyfooting it on sports bikes; either go balls out and spend the money on what you want, or get a naked bike... maybe a Monster; they seem to have reasonable insurance rates.

its hit or miss, if it looks fast, it is fast(just ask any cop) , (ninja 650, or in your example a 650f) it will often times get treated like a super sport, even though it obviously isnt.

I agree, if you really are into a SS, go ahead and get it, after all if you are spending thousands of your hard earned dollars, you will purchase the bike that you like, not the one your insurance company likes

Last edited:
its hit or miss, if it looks fast, it is fast(just ask any cop) , (ninja 650, or in your example a 650f) it will often times get treated like a super sport, even though it obviously isnt.

I agree, if you really are into a SS, go ahead and get it, after all if you are spending thousands of your hard earned dollars, you will purchase the bike that you like, not the one your insurance company likes
yeah and some companies just straight up blacklist ducatis because...they can.

I did the same research last summer. Ended up with naked litre bikes. narrowed down to FZ 10 (or MT 10) and Z1000R, (or Z900, FZ09 (MT09)). All these naked bikes have rate $1000 to $1500/year for a new rider. Best I4 sound Z1000 and Z900.

I did the same research last summer. Ended up with naked litre bikes. narrowed down to FZ 10 (or MT 10) and Z1000R, (or Z900, FZ09 (MT09)). All these naked bikes have rate $1000 to $1500/year for a new rider. Best I4 sound Z1000 and Z900.

#nakedlife

Sadly i suspect in a few years all these peeps will migrate to these kind of bikes to escape insurance and we'll just do this all over again :rolleyes:

My only problem is that I'm 6'4'', so I'm trying to find a bike that I can also ride comfortably, which is why I need to be slightly picky with the type of bike I choose.
The CB650F looks like a grom, but that could also just be cause of the picture.

This is the list of "NON BLACKLISTED" bikes that are over 500cc but under 750cc that are very affordable on insurance and not considered super sport -

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Yamaha FZ6R / FZ6[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Suzuki SV650/S/SA[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Suzuki Katana GSX600/750[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Kawasaki ER-6N /Z650[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]MV Agusta Brutale 675[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Ducati Monster 696/796[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Triumph Street Triple 675/R[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Kawasaki ZZR-600 (certain models, years)[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]KTM Duke 690[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Yamaha FZ-07[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Suzuki GSX-S750A[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

This list is similar to what my insurance agent just sent me.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

You forgot the gsxs, capable bikes, inline 4s and priced right

#nakedlife

Sadly i suspect in a few years all these peeps will migrate to these kind of bikes to escape insurance and we'll just do this all over again :rolleyes:

I doubt this, most of the data they use is old data from the heyday of riding, pre 2008 crash when the industry was booming and plenty of squids were abound on their race bikes and gixxers, motorcycle industry hasn't really recovered since then, and things will never be the way they were (in terms of sheer numbers, and squids everywhere)

Most youngsters are not into riding, and those that are, like hipster/cafe racer/vintage type bikes. (I rode with some of harleys dream demographic recently, all young dudes, on sportsters because they are cheap, and all of them were minorities, looking cool and all rocking harley bikes, harley gear/clothing as well, good bunch of guys)

Nah man. At the time I only had my bike. I recently bought a car that I also put with TD but it had next to no effect on my rates.

I just spoke with my insurance and apprently once Im 23(M and clean record) my premium would roughly be 3200 for a Honda CBR600RR. I was very surprised since I have an M8W postal code.

Any other places to call?
Called:
M&W - $3700
Echelon - $3800 if I pair with home and another vehicle
TDMM - Waiting for mailed in 'application' to fill out
Mcdougall - Won't insure at all
All State - Won't insure till 30
RBC - $4700

Anyone else got some ideas?
Best quote I've got so far was from M&W for $3700

Last edited:
Any other places to call?
Called:
M&W - $3700
Echelon - $3800 if I pair with home and another vehicle
TDMM - Waiting for mailed in 'application' to fill out
Mcdougall - Won't insure at all
All State - Won't insure till 30
RBC - $4700

Anyone else got some ideas?
For what bike ?

Very interesting; sounds like they are pulling rates out of their *** these days. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for many of these companies rates once we start comparing with one another.

I spoke with them a few months ago; having more riding experience than you, over 30 with nearly double the driving experience you have and they gave me some absurd rate like $7000 for my GSXR 750.

No tickets, accidents, or farts in the wind; I'm squeaky clean.

My only problem is that I'm 6'4'', so I'm trying to find a bike that I can also ride comfortably, which is why I need to be slightly picky with the type of bike I choose.

This is the list of "NON BLACKLISTED" bikes that are over 500cc but under 750cc that are very affordable on insurance and not considered super sport -

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Yamaha FZ6R / FZ6[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Suzuki SV650/S/SA[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Suzuki Katana GSX600/750[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Kawasaki ER-6N /Z650[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]MV Agusta Brutale 675[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Ducati Monster 696/796[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Triumph Street Triple 675/R[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Kawasaki ZZR-600 (certain models, years)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]KTM Duke 690[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Yamaha FZ-07[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSX-S750A[/FONT][/FONT]

TBH that Street Triple sounds AMAZING and with a few modifications.....clip-ons, rear sets and a cam swap its basically a naked Daytona.

Owned both, loved both.

If I had a choice of only one right now I would pick the Street Triple with Rear sets and clip-ons. I'm 35 with a clean record full M and I would be paying 767 a year on the Street Triple VS 1300 on the Daytona. Considering with the cam swap they are identical minus the fairings....

I'm actually quite tempted to sell my 600RR for a 765 RS and do the clip ons and rear sets. It'll actually be cheaper then waiting for the $20,000 Daytona 765 to come out next year :p

Last edited:
TBH that Street Triple sounds AMAZING and with a few modifications.....clip-ons, rear sets and a cam swap its basically a naked Daytona.

Owned both, loved both.

If I had a choice of only one right now I would pick the Street Triple with Rear sets and clip-ons. I'm 35 with a clean record full M and I would be paying 767 a year on the Street Triple VS 1300 on the Daytona. Considering with the cam swap they are identical minus the fairings....

I'm actually quite tempted to sell my 600RR for a 765 RS and do the clip ons and rear sets. It'll actually be cheaper then waiting for the $20,000 Daytona 765 to come out next year :p

Damn... is it actually gonna be 20k? Seems like quite a lot for a triple that isn't even in the litre bike category.

Damn... is it actually gonna be 20k? Seems like quite a lot for a triple that isn't even in the litre bike category.

Triumphs have a premium price tag. Look at a Street Triple 675 vs FZ07.

im new too
i got quoted pretty high with a 500 -__________-

most insurance companies want you to be over 30 for sure with a lot of riding experience
Id keep the 500 till you get M

was payin 175 with statefarm
finally got a good rate with all state at 130
everywhere else was 160+

Someone mentioned naked.

I really wanted fz09 but insurance was 3k a year wtf.

At the time I was paying 380 per year on ninja 300. 1300 per year on cbr600rr few years before that.

Right now paying 500 something on gladius.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Yamaha FZ6R / FZ6[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Suzuki SV650/S/SA[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Suzuki Katana GSX600/750[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Kawasaki ER-6N /Z650[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]MV Agusta Brutale 675[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Ducati Monster 696/796[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Triumph Street Triple 675/R[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Kawasaki ZZR-600 (certain models, years)[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]KTM Duke 690[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Yamaha FZ-07[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Suzuki GSX-S750A[/FONT]

Given that list I'd take the gsx all day long. I will add that the cbr650f is a fantastic bike also.

Someone mentioned naked.

I really wanted fz09 but insurance was 3k a year wtf.

At the time I was paying 380 per year on ninja 300. 1300 per year on cbr600rr few years before that.

Right now paying 500 something on gladius.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Was probably me.

3k? I have less then one year experience/insurance and i'm just north of $1,500. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom