New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call?

Yeah exactly. I asked the guy on the phone why it was so high and he couldn't give me a good answer that I can remember.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

If you don't mind me asking, who did you quote with ? Some insurers don't distinguish between sport-touring and sport-performance like TD. They go by CC.

TD quoted me the same premium for a 600cc Supersport and kawasaki er6n (650cc naked).

I would suggest to call a broker like Dalton Timmis or Mitchel and Whale. Intact provides decent rates on sport tourings. I was paying $1450 for the er6n, when TD wanted double that.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you quote with ? Some insurers don't distinguish between sport-touring and sport-performance like TD. They go by CC.

TD quoted me the same premium for a 600cc Supersport and kawasaki er6n (650cc naked).

I would suggest to call a broker like Dalton Timmis or Mitchel and Whale. Intact provides decent rates on sport tourings. I was paying $1450 for the er6n, when TD wanted double that.
It was with meloch monnex.

I know I can shop around but I'm with them for everything, and from my previous shopping experience, they tend to be the lowest for me.

I could probably call for a quote now and it could be different.

Also found out that TD MM doesn't insure groms. So I was sad for a bit before I got distracted with other things.

It was with meloch monnex.

I know I can shop around but I'm with them for everything, and from my previous shopping experience, they tend to be the lowest for me.

I could probably call for a quote now and it could be different.

Also found out that TD MM doesn't insure groms. So I was sad for a bit before I got distracted with other things.

Well that explains it then. TD is probably quoting you like the fz09 is a 900cc performance supersport.

I’m biting the bullet and getting the bike the beginning of April. I’ve already got quite a few people willing to pay my listed price on my 500, which covers most of what I plan to spend on the new bike. That, and in 6 months my ticket will be off my record and I’ll also be 1 year licensed, so that will reduce my rates.

I’m biting the bullet and getting the bike the beginning of April. I’ve already got quite a few people willing to pay my listed price on my 500, which covers most of what I plan to spend on the new bike. That, and in 6 months my ticket will be off my record and I’ll also be 1 year licensed, so that will reduce my rates.
May I ask what bike are you planing to get and what's the insurance like? Thanks

Welcome to gsxr life. Were we get all the guys, because girls don't give a f**k about motorcycles.
3680414e4bc8d5ba0e6d5ed9b308b9c4.jpg

GSXR600, $3713 a year

I would seriously wait until that ticket is removed off your record because it is realistically adding hundreds of dollars onto your premium, but that may not fit within your timeline.

I get annoyed at those who think its expensive to pay 3k+ for insurance. Sure it is, but what is the real cost of riding something you aren't absolutely in love with? Maybe this is his DREAM bike? Is it really worth waiting to 25, or in some cases 30? No it's not, pay the extra cost now, because who knows where you will be in the future. Sometimes you just have to pay to play.

Last edited:

You're probably aware but just in case; insurance won't re-evaluate and lower your rates 6 months from now. (Just in case you were banking on that, don't want to see you get burned).

I would seriously wait until that ticket is removed off your record because it is realistically adding hundreds of dollars onto your premium, but that may not fit within your timeline.

I get annoyed at those who think its expensive to pay 3k+ for insurance. Sure it is, but what is the real cost of riding something you aren't absolutely in love with? Maybe this is his DREAM bike? Is it really worth waiting to 25, or in some cases 30? No it's not, pay the extra cost now, because who knows where you will be in the future. Sometimes you just have to pay to play.

Because priorities?

You're probably aware but just in case; insurance won't re-evaluate and lower your rates 6 months from now. (Just in case you were banking on that, don't want to see you get burned).

Likely wont see any change until next year.

I get the YOLO

But think about it

3700 per year

308 per month

And realistically, those rates won't go down drastically until certain milestones are hit. By then he'll have paid as much in insurance as the price of the bike, twice over. Getting full M won't change much to the rate in general, it's more about the number of years you've had it + ticket + age. For an 8 year-old motorcycle. Paying close (if not more) than half the value of the bike in insurance just isn't sound financially.

All that to be able to ride an SS that you won't be able to push to the max. And let's be real, even if he's is responsible, let's just say the possibilities of getting a ticket on an SS are higher because of the
- ease of speed
- cops that have hard-ons for them

I was tempted too to upgrade, and i could've. Would it have been the best choice? Nope. I crunched the numbers. I looked at how i use my bike and since i commute daily for under 1h each way, tour maybe 2-3 times per year, i realized my bike was perfect for what i needed to do...

I started riding because i loved the duc hypermotard, and i've seen a few come and go on kijiji that i would've loved. Overall, just being on 2 wheels is a big enough gratification and already makes me really happy. The dream, it'll happen, i know it, when the numbers make sense.

Obv all that is my 0.02$

I get the YOLO

But think about it

3700 per year

308 per month

And realistically, those rates won't go down drastically until certain milestones are hit. By then he'll have paid as much in insurance as the price of the bike, twice over. Getting full M won't change much to the rate in general, it's more about the number of years you've had it + ticket + age. For an 8 year-old motorcycle. Paying close (if not more) than half the value of the bike in insurance just isn't sound financially.

All that to be able to ride an SS that you won't be able to push to the max. And let's be real, even if he's is responsible, let's just say the possibilities of getting a ticket on an SS are higher because of the
- ease of speed
- cops that have hard-ons for them

I was tempted too to upgrade, and i could've. Would it have been the best choice? Nope. I crunched the numbers. I looked at how i use my bike and since i commute daily for under 1h each way, tour maybe 2-3 times per year, i realized my bike was perfect for what i needed to do...

I started riding because i loved the duc hypermotard, and i've seen a few come and go on kijiji that i would've loved. Overall, just being on 2 wheels is a big enough gratification and already makes me really happy. The dream, it'll happen, i know it, when the numbers make sense.

Obv all that is my 0.02$
Best way is to stick with sport tourings or SS disguised as sport touring till you're 30. Then you can upgrade to almost any bike you want at affordable premiums. That's what I did. I was tempted to pay $300-$400 too, but controlled myself.

Best way is to stick with sport tourings or SS disguised as sport touring till you're 30. Then you can upgrade to almost any bike you want at affordable premiums. That's what I did. I was tempted to pay $300-$400 too, but controlled myself.
Even better yet, you get the sport touring or disguised bike, put that extra 2k in insurance you'd be paying and put it in a savings account, and when you come to upgrade and be "insurable" at a decent amount you take that now $6-8k to put on your new bike on top of the money you get from selling your old bike and get a closer to brand new bike, or even brand new bike on a loan with 50% downpayment

Even better yet, you get the sport touring or disguised bike, put that extra 2k in insurance you'd be paying and put it in a savings account, and when you come to upgrade and be "insurable" at a decent amount you take that now $6-8k to put on your new bike on top of the money you get from selling your old bike and get a closer to brand new bike, or even brand new bike on a loan with 50% downpayment
Who would've thought sound financial advice would come from GTAM???

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

LOL, these "I wanna upgrade to a Supersport" threads present themselves like the Marshmallow test: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...est-really-teaches-about-self-control/380673/

Back
Top Bottom