New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider, M2, upgrading to 600cc, who to call?

HonDerpa500r

Hey everyone,
I’m a new rider, just started riding last fall and currently have a CBR500r.
I’m looking to upgrade bikes to a GSXR-600 this year and was wondering who you guys suggest calling.

When I was first insurance shopping, I asked 3 companies for a quote on a 600, and they all said they won’t insure a new rider on a 600.

I’m hoping that my 6months and M2 will help with getting a quote, even if it’s a high one.

Who do you guys recommend?
New rider
M2
10 years of driving experience
26 years old

Honestly, be prepared for 4-5k/yr in insurance as you are still a new rider. Many companies are just flat out saying no to Super Sports, never mind actually having an insurance track record to bring the rates down.

There are a lot of standard/naked bikes that will hang just fine with the SS's and will cost you 1/3 to insure. Alternatively, keep the 500R for another few seasons and get those ticket free years under your belt.

But if you have your dreams set on that particular style of bike then start in the insurance forum here, there are some brokers who can get you started.

I’ve already emailed my broker, so I’ll see what he has to say.
I spoke to a motovlogger from Youtube who said he was pay 2600 a year for a 600RR. I think he had similar riding experience.

I spoke to a motovlogger from Youtube who said he was pay 2600 a year for a 600RR. I think he had similar riding experience.

Sadly in the current climate this may be the exception and not the rule. Best of luck either way.

If you've held a motorcycle license for 6 years, then wawanesa can insure you. Other than that you're SOL. I have had my M for the past 2 years and motorcycle licensed since 2013, I called *everywhere* imaginable. Quoted over 3.5-4k a year to insure a SS in the GTA.
I'm in my late 20s with a clean record.

Last edited:
All the above. Anyone with an M2 and <5 years of experience is still considered a newbie for most insurance companies, and under 30-35 years old works against you as well.

And supersport makes it 10x worse on all fronts.

If you have the 500R insured for an affordable sum, keep it.

Is your 500r a repsol?

Broker got back to me..
$3800 per year IF I bring over a house and car to add onto their insurance.
He gave me a list of bikes that aren’t “blacklisted”, but I’m more interested in the super sport bikes.. For obvious reasons.

Guess I’ll be sticking with the 500 for awhile.

Broker got back to me..
$3800 per year IF I bring over a house and car to add onto their insurance.
He gave me a list of bikes that aren’t “blacklisted”, but I’m more interested in the super sport bikes.. For obvious reasons.

Guess I’ll be sticking with the 500 for awhile.

Besides having more plastic and i guess being more aggressive looking..what else piques your interest?

Mainly the sound. My bike is already fast enough to cause me some trouble.
My current bike is only 2 cylinders and reminds me too much of a dirt bike rather than the iconic 4 cylinder sport bikes that just sound beautiful.

You might try asking the insurance co for a quote on, say, a CB650F:

hondaca_modelNav.png

or the faired CBR650F:

c3.jpg

8/10ths of a "super sport" complete with a sweet I4 but straight bars and (somewhat) reduced power might make the insurance friendlier.

They're pretty affordable if you can find them used:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CB...=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_3

Mainly the sound. My bike is already fast enough to cause me some trouble.
My current bike is only 2 cylinders and reminds me too much of a dirt bike rather than the iconic 4 cylinder sport bikes that just sound beautiful.

I hear ya. Have you considered something else? Off the top of my head there's the FZ6R

[video=youtube;ODoeeBN0XrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODoeeBN0XrQ[/video]

You might try asking the insurance co for a quote on, say, a CB650F:

or the faired CBR650F:

Nice! didn't know the 650F was a 4 cylinder. I like them too.

I hear ya. Have you considered something else? Off the top of my head there's the FZ6R

There's another good one. :)

OP, the FZ6R is tamer than it's FZ6 forebear but that too might work to your advantage re insurance.

My only problem is that I'm 6'4'', so I'm trying to find a bike that I can also ride comfortably, which is why I need to be slightly picky with the type of bike I choose.
The CB650F looks like a grom, but that could also just be cause of the picture.

This is the list of "NON BLACKLISTED" bikes that are over 500cc but under 750cc that are very affordable on insurance and not considered super sport -

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Yamaha FZ6R / FZ6[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Suzuki SV650/S/SA[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Suzuki Katana GSX600/750[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Kawasaki ER-6N /Z650[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]MV Agusta Brutale 675[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Ducati Monster 696/796[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Triumph Street Triple 675/R[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Kawasaki ZZR-600 (certain models, years)[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]KTM Duke 690[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Yamaha FZ-07[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Suzuki GSX-S750A[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I glanced at the specs and the CBR650F is just under the seat height of a new GSXR 600. It's got a slightly longer wheelbase and weighs about 50lbs more.

It should be about the same dimensions you were looking to fit on to begin with. If you don't mind the trek out to a dealer you should be able to sit on one and compare.

Yeah, the naked version does share some similarities with it's cousin the Grom..but Groms rule!

I glanced at the specs and the CBR650F is just under the seat height of a new GSXR 600. It's got a slightly longer wheelbase and weighs about 50lbs more.

It should be about the same dimensions you were looking to fit on to begin with. If you don't mind the trek out to a dealer you should be able to sit on one and compare.

Yeah, the naked version does share some similarities with it's cousin the Grom..but Groms rule!

Appreciate it.
I just emailed my broker about getting a quote for the CBR650F, hopefully it's not a blacklisted bike. Seems like it could be my next bike if all things go well.

Back
Top Bottom