No more demo rides? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No more demo rides?

that's very likely part of what led to this. Buddy gets the invoice for the waiver he signed, saying he would make good for what he did in the rhubarb, then counters with ' you put me on an unfamiliar machine and pressured me to keep up' . Now the insurance settles and a fellow in a nice suit says, I can fix that from coming up again.

This guy, or someone like him?
suits_gallery_darvey_2560x1440.jpg

Let me see ... a group of riders who don’t know each other have to follow a leader who doesn’t know them and everyone is on bikes that they’re unfamiliar with while navigating texting cagers, kids playing road hockey, grannies heading to bingo and big Al who just left the pub. Would any of you guys want to cover the liability for that situation? I know I wouldn’t. The other thing, as stated earlier, is that some of these bikes don’t even wake up until ~8000rpm and already well past posted limits.

That said, I did demo a Triumph Street Triple and 675 Daytona just for gits and shiggles a couple years ago. Zero intention on buying, just had a morning to kill in August. I did not have to put a penny down to ride either bike but the bikes had an insurance policy with a $2000 deductible that I had to agree to.

It is an unfortunate trend. I get why they need to restrict this, the vetting process would be both time consuming and error prone. There's always going to be 10-15% of people that really have no business on certain bikes, and likely higher with a SS.

The unfortunate part of this decision, is those who are actually interested in flagship models, lose out. I was hoping to try out the new 1000RR or an R1, but to no avail. Same deal with an RC8 a couple years back. Prior to that taking out a 1000RR sold me on it, so I bought one.

Kawi had a mosport event a couple years ago, albeit somewhat restricted around the track. The past few years pro6 had a new S1000RR and S1000R available each year for test rides. That was fantastic, a new set of warmed race slicks, head out for a session and really try out the bike. I thought it was a fantastic way to really give the bike a go. The "insurance" rules were a bit unclear, although for past years, I don't think there were many issues.

I wish more manufactures did the same. IMO that's how you sell flagship SS product.

in certain countries they do that, bring all their bikes to the track,(or even a small sized almost go kart track) and do their demo's there.

Have been on demo rides where the factory covered insurance and others where you produce your own insurance so if you wreck it, your insurance pays for it. The trouble with these demo rides is while they are excellent for deciding which bike to buy (I bought after the demo ride), there is always the risk that one idiot will spoil it for everybody else. Then the factory/dealer withdraws group demo rides.

On one ride I participated in at Suzuki in Richmond Hill head office, a nut-job did everything possible to break the rules, passing, accelerating and braking hard, and should not have been on a group ride. Fortunately only a couple of close calls but no accident. At the end of the ride he was approached by three riders and a ride-marshal who questioned his lack of intelligence.

If I remember correctly, it was either the next year or the year after that, that Suzuki stopped the demo ride program. Not sure if they ever brought it back. As usual, the few spoil it for everybody else.

Last edited:
I test rode half a dozen bikes... Helps me really gauge what i like...

Actually tested the cb500x one year (when they came out) and bought one 2-3 years later.

Also test riding made me understand that i don't REALLY need to move up in bike class for my usage. I was eyeing the fj09, rode it, was fun and balanced enough but couldn't justify going up for the few times im going to use the extra power.

I find that theyre going to lose a great sales tool... like, what better way to lust after a bike then giving it a little try.

And they wonder why the industry is in shambles ... start right here. You want me to buy a toy for +10K (most bikes cost out the door nowadays), yet you don't have a demo? ... LOL

Interesting that other parts of the world get it done ... I guess it's not insurance companies running the industry.

And they wonder why the industry is in shambles ... start right here. You want me to buy a toy for +10K (most bikes cost out the door nowadays), yet you don't have a demo? ... LOL

Interesting that other parts of the world get it done ... I guess it's not insurance companies running the industry.

Guy from hully gully wanted me to buy a bike I’d never ridden before because he”never rode any of the bikes he bought” I laughed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never participated in a demo ride before, besides going on a demo ride playing follow the leader around a few blocks wouldn't help me decide if the bike was for me or not. Now if i was in the market for a litre bike i would probably take up Pro6'S offer of taking it around Mosport for a few laps, i think Kawi did the same thing a few years ago at Bogie.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they made full M a requirement for any bike...just to make sure the rider has at least rode a little and at a minimum passed both the M2 and the ministry road test. If they actually do scrap the demo days (including Rock the Red) that will be a sad day, as it would make test riding pretty much impossible. Not sure how many want to drop $12,000+ on a brand new motorcycle having never rode it, especially if they are interested in 2-3 different models.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they made full M a requirement for any bike...just to make sure the rider has at least rode a little and at a minimum passed both the M2 and the ministry road test. If they actually do scrap the demo days (including Rock the Red) that will be a sad day, as it would make test riding pretty much impossible. Not sure how many want to drop $12,000+ on a brand new motorcycle having never rode it, especially if they are interested in 2-3 different models.
Im guessing invidual dealerships will allow demo rides at their discretion but yeah, thats it.

The 2011 Ninja 1000 that I have now was never on my radar. Sat on it at the show & followed up with a dealer solo demo from Kahuna (remember them). After giggling in my helmet the whole ride, I bought the bike. Bikes are all so different, you really need to ride them to know if you're gonna like it. Follow the leader isn't great, but better than nothing.

Talking to a KTM rep at the show, and they will be doing street demos thru dealers and a dirt demo later in the season.

I found most dealers are quite receptive to demoing bikes if I show up with my own bike. I prefer demoing by myself instead of a group as there are always someone trying to proof themselves in a group.

I found most dealers are quite receptive to demoing bikes if I show up with my own bike. I prefer demoing by myself instead of a group as there are always someone trying to proof themselves in a group.

huh...never thought of that

Great idea!!

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they made full M a requirement for any bike...just to make sure the rider has at least rode a little and at a minimum passed both the M2 and the ministry road test.

Pretty sure you'll see that sooner than later. I've heard of M1 (or "fresh off the college parking lot M2's) show up at dealers wanting to test ride $50K HD's or 1100RR's, and not surprisingly this is an issue with insurance and/or risk.

I have never had an issue talking out whatever i wanted to try at a dealer.

Agreed. I don't think we're talking test-rides here, we are talking demo-days. A demo day is when a dealer has a big bunch of bikes out and anyone and everyone can show up and ride them, yes, even the wannabe's who in reality have zero intention of buying anything, or even the money to do so, but just use it as an opportunity to ride a bike they'll either never be able to afford, or is way beyond their current skill/insurability level.

Someone showing up alone to a dealer and expressing genuine interest in a bike, well, I'm sure you'll still be able to arrange a test ride if the salesperson actually has one inkling you have the interest (and means) to actually complete the sale. But yes, I wouldn't be surprised to a see a full-M requirement eventually.

GP Bikes & Endras - yes, if they have a designated demo of the bike you are interested in. Snow City - no, they don't have any demos of any of the bikes they sell, claiming insurance reasons. Not sure about other dealers.

Rock The Red is gone.

I have never had an issue talking out whatever i wanted to try at a dealer.

Only bike I've had trouble arranging a ride with an Aprilia RSV4.
Took a while (a couple months, maybe 3 calls) but eventually it happened.

Back
Top Bottom