Hamilton to Halifax/St. John's | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hamilton to Halifax/St. John's

witblits

Hello
Planning a return trip down east in the summer with my wife on the back. Any suggestions on routes and ideal stop overs? We have 8 days to ride.
Thanks to those who have suggestions.
Cheers

Yup....go through NY
Vermont, New Hampshire then Maine and back into
Canada at NB

much more scenic and better
roads, food, lodging etc

FPNI.

NY isn't all that great, but the rest of the ride is nice... If you can, take the Airline road(#9) from Bangor to Calais/St.Stephen NB.
They've been straightening it out bit by bit over the last 25 years, but it's still twisty and the scenery is nice.

Any ideas for those not interested or able to cross the border?

Semi-seriously, "Follow the only road". 401 to the 30 around Montreal, then Trans Canada past Quebec City, through Riviere-du-Loup and through New Brunswick. It's 18 hours of gawd-awful boring highway. At one point your GPS will say "In 800 kilometers, turn right". So maybe take that as a non-recommendation. Going through the States is a much nicer trip than the Trans Canada.

More usefully, I've heard sticking to the north side of the St Lawrence until Quebec City is a better time, but every time I've done the trip I was just trying to get somewhere quickly. I'd only recommend the Quebec route instead dipping through the States if perhaps you wanted to do the Gaspe, but 8 days wouldn't be enough for that.

NY isn't all that great, but the rest of the ride is nice...
If coming from Stoney Creek and crossing at Fort Erie, then the ride through the Adirondacks is really nice. I did that on my way out to Maine a few years ago and it would be a great ride to do 2up, because of the vast scenery and nice pavement quality.

The road quality really dropped in Vermont, but was again very nice in New Hampshire and throughout Maine.
I would also suggest going through the States for at least one leg of the trip.

Have to tough out the 401 for a bit I'd gueas

maybe get off at Napanee and take 41 north

or get off at Kingston and take 15 north

both are decent routes that will take you to the capital region
then cross into QC

will add some time to the trip
but that Kingston to MTL 401/20
route is god awful boring

from Gatineau you'll end up going SE
and see some of the Laurentians
then north of MTL you can join the North shore route
it's a little less dreadful than the South shore route

I would stay away from the city traffic and do something like this over 3 days: https://goo.gl/maps/Q39BYsXVtE42

Montebello is a great place to stop for a break and carry on. Locals often travel 20 kms above the speed limit which is surprising considering the roads.

I’ve also crossed over the Ottawa river west of Ottawa around Refrew or Arnprior there is a ferry. Can’t remember exactly. Think I headed up via Peterborough/ Bancroft and highway 41?

And the roads are not bad but, a few small towns you need to drop the speed down a bit. Still fun and enough twists to keep things interesting.

Also kept slightly north of Gatineau itself while heading east and then drop down to the highway along the river.

Just adds time to the overall destination so, have to decide to snore along the 400 series or play along the back roads.

Thanks for posting Shane. I’ve not traveled north of Montebello heading east. Will save for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope there's an interesting story... Lol

Long story short, consensual fights are legal until there's an injury, then it's assault causing bodily harm. Probation is up in June, 5 year weapons ban(including bb guns for some reason), discharge after 4 years if I stay out of trouble.

Montebello is a great place to stop for a break and carry on. Locals often travel 20 kms above the speed limit which is surprising considering the roads.

I’ve also crossed over the Ottawa river west of Ottawa around Refrew or Arnprior there is a ferry. Can’t remember exactly. Think I headed up via Peterborough/ Bancroft and highway 41?

And the roads are not bad but, a few small towns you need to drop the speed down a bit. Still fun and enough twists to keep things interesting.

Also kept slightly north of Gatineau itself while heading east and then drop down to the highway along the river.

Just adds time to the overall destination so, have to decide to snore along the 400 series or play along the back roads.

Thanks for posting Shane. I’ve not traveled north of Montebello heading east. Will save for next time.

Thanks, I have a few weeks vacation late summer, and I've always wanted to travel east. Looking at the map, I'm thinking cross into la belle province at Ottawa/Hull, just west of Parliament. Ride along the north shore until somewhere before Montreal and then keep north until Trois Rivieres, cross the river and ride the south shore into NB. Then in NB looks like there's a bridge at Aulds Cove into Port Hastings NS. From there, I guess I'd plan a route to the opposite side to perhaps catch a ferry to the rock. Hopefully visit some TPB filming locations along the way. That's the dream anyway. My cousin did a trip to the Goonies filming locations, I wouldn't be one-upping him by any stretch, but I would feel almost equal lmao.

The Green Mtn's are really worth spending some time thru.
Green%20Mtns_zps0sfwjctn.jpg

Last edited:
Long story short, consensual fights are legal until there's an injury, then it's assault causing bodily harm. Probation is up in June, 5 year weapons ban(including bb guns for some reason), discharge after 4 years if I stay out of trouble.

Learned that stuff in middle school ;)

Does Ontario even have a "consensual fight" or "mutual combat" law?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

considering how they are about insurance...i would think not

The only place where I have fought and not have to deal with the law would be inside a boxing ring(I remember signing waivers)

Does Ontario even have a "consensual fight" or "mutual combat" law?

The short answer is yes. However once again, bodily harm negates consent. The legal definition in law is so vague also, that just about any injury can be deemed to be bodily harm.

Yes you can consent to fight.
But not consent to injury.
Like JTR said. It's very subjective.

I was a witness to a bar fight when I was a teenager.

One of the guys ended up talking a header and died later.

The other guy was tried and convicted of manslaughter.

Even though the guy that took the header just fell face first as he was loaded.

Fights are a bad deal.
Not much good can ever come from them.

Theres a ferry east of Ottawa about 5 mins from Orleans. I used to take it a lot as you miss out Central Ottawa traffic which can be a pain. That ferry puts you on the north bank of the Ottawa River and you’re not far from Montebello then. Turn left and you can head up to Tremblant or stay on the road and head toward Montreal. Near Renfrew I remember there was a bridge that takes you over some hydro electric dam. That was a good point to head through Gatineau and North towards some interesting roads around Wakefield etc.

Yes you can consent to fight.
But not consent to injury.
Like JTR said. It's very subjective.

I was a witness to a bar fight when I was a teenager.

One of the guys ended up talking a header and died later.

The other guy was tried and convicted of manslaughter.

Even though the guy that took the header just fell face first as he was loaded.

Fights are a bad deal.
Not much good can ever come from them.

I wonder if I worked with the winner. Same story, bar fight one falls and never gets up again. IIRC two years in Milton for manslaughter. That would have been 40+ years ago.

Fights may look right in the movies but in real life they're pathetic.

Back to the original topic, the east coast is on my bucket list. I'd probably do the US routing and pick up a bit more scenery.

Last edited:
I wonder if I worked with the winner. Same story, bar fight one falls and never gets up again. IIRC two years in Milton for manslaughter. That would have been 40+ years ago.

Fights may look right in the movies but in real life they're pathetic.

Back to the original topic, the east coast is on my bucket list. I'd probably do the US routing and pick up a bit more scenery.
Agreed. I had a guy push a fight on me in my early twenties. I guess I "won" because I got charged with assault and still can't enter the US. Lucky me.

Back
Top Bottom