HD V-Rod dead ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

HD V-Rod dead ?

I liked it, especially the night rod, but as it turns out, every time HD tries to pander to what the haters say they want, they still don't buy it.

So just like some of the new bikes, alot of harley fans don't like it. And ofcourse nothing will make a Harley basher like a Harley, no matter what they say. If HD bought Ducati tomorrow, Ducati sales would drop like a stone just because Harley owns it.

Last edited:
I liked it, especially the night rod, but as it turns out, every time HD tries to pander to what the haters say they want, they still don't buy it.

That's sad. Nightrod looks absolutely stunning. I never paid much attention to HD motorcycles till I saw it. Hope they bring it back someday.

interesting bike
If I were looking for a power cruiser
It would be on the short list

HD enthusiasts never accepted it
being a modern engine design
and LC

no one else wanted it
because it's an HD

Anyone ridden the vrod? I read it handles kinda awkward. I do like the way they look though.

Is the nightrod just a blacked out vrod?

I kinda liked the VRSCR, the only version they made that didn't have forward controls. They were expensive AF when new, comparing used bikes I'd probably go for a Diavel instead.

Anyone ridden the vrod? I read it handles kinda awkward.

I've never ridden one.

However, a new rider posted here a few years ago after he got one: "It handles amazing, but it's really tough to turn."

via Tapatalk

I kinda liked the VRSCR, the only version they made that didn't have forward controls. They were expensive AF when new, comparing used bikes I'd probably go for a Diavel instead.
Yeah. Anyone looking for that kind of thing
is gonna consider a Diavel or a V Max
both superior bikes

VRODs may not have 100% respect from the V45 loyals, but the they have enough to sit at the adult table -- unlike the Street Rods owners, they eat with the infidels.

I don't know why they killed it, seems to me the VROD was part of the solution - VROD buyers were mostly new, younger, non-traditional Harley buyers. Maybe the 17 year old design needed too much updating? Maybe it was too hard move production from the retired Kansas factory?

Maybe Harley has something up their sleeve, like buying Ducati? Imagine the Diavel could be rebranded VROD, Street Rods could be retired in favor of Scramblers, they get Sport, SS and Adventure bikes in the lineup. There are other synergies -- both brands are tied to quirky heritage designs, both do well with apparel and accessories, both could use the other's sales and service networks.

V-Rod is out of production. The engine design is dated for what it is. If HD builds another performance bike it will likely be based on the Street engine; however, HD is now facing criticism over that platform's inability to produce wins on the flat track. Half of Harley Davidson's flat track racing team quit this year, many to go to Indian who are taking the flat track lead. You will never see a low priced performance bike out of HD, so haters who hate because they're too poor to own a Harley will just have to keep on hating.

... or just buy something else.

The V-Rods were the only Harleys I ever had any interest in test-riding, although never enough to actually find the time to do it.

Yeah. Anyone looking for that kind of thing
is gonna consider a Diavel or a V Max
both superior bikes

Rode a V-Rod. It's the only HD I would ever consider buying (and that's a stretch) - I do believe the "Street Rod" was the one with standard peg position instead of foot forward. The Diavel and xDiavel are vastly superior bikes.

Diavel is hideous. Crossed it off my list as soon as I saw it in person.

Dealers didn't help the VROD sales at all. They would carry 1 VROD and push a bagger on every guy that walked in to look at it.

They did the exact same thing to me, I actually walked out of the local one because of the BS. Went up the road to another dealership and purchased my VROD there.

Great bike, and I can't stop anywhere without getting inquiries/comments about it.

Last edited:
Harley had a marketing and engineering fail with the VROD line, in the end it was set-up to fail from day one. The diehards did not consider it a real Harley, the power to noise ratio was way too far off for them. Way too much power, not enough noise.

For the non-Harley crowd, it was just another power cruiser in the mix. For me, Harley ruined that motor when they added a bunch of weight to make it look better. Lots of potential, way too heavy to be interesting in anything other than a cruiser.

Harley had a marketing and engineering fail with the VROD line, in the end it was set-up to fail from day one. The diehards did not consider it a real Harley, the power to noise ratio was way too far off for them. Way too much power, not enough noise.

For the non-Harley crowd, it was just another power cruiser in the mix. For me, Harley ruined that motor when they added a bunch of weight to make it look better. Lots of potential, way too heavy to be interesting in anything other than a cruiser.
The bike was to extend the HD brand appeal to new riders looking for a dose of bad-*** mixed with import performance and dependability. That worked for a while an had HD done a better job managing the bikes evolution, it might still be a contender.

HD failed by using their 'heritage' product strategy on a bike competing in a progressive market space. VRODS are short on performance and handling and after 17 years not a lot different that its initial design.

Too bad, it's still a really interesting and worthy ride.

My vrod is the only bike I put 3 new sets of tires on . I`m going on 10 years of happy ownership . Last year I finally put in new front springs and rear suspension . Something I should have done year one . The vrod has a great following in Europe . It was not pushed by most dealers .As only one mechanic per dealer could actually work on one .

I like them and will likely own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom