Fair market value of a used 2014 Yamaha YZF-R1 or Honda CBR1000RR with 5k - 15k km | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fair market value of a used 2014 Yamaha YZF-R1 or Honda CBR1000RR with 5k - 15k km

roadrash

Hey Guys,

I may be in the market for a liter SS (if insurance works out). Just wanted to get some thoughts on what you guys think is a fair market value for a, let's say, 2014 Honda CBR 1000RR or a 2014 Yamaha YZF-R1. Looking for 2014 or newer models.

Assuming
a) around 5k km on it
b) around 15k-20k km on it

Given the current insurance scene for liter SS, I think there are some good deals to be had because demand for these has significantly dropped.

Thanks!

why not check the insurance FIRST?

checked with Chris on a 2018 CBR1000r
csouth@surnet.net
Full coverage (including the waiver of depreciation) $1558 through Aviva.

Full coverage with no waiver of depreciation $1485.

Liability plus comprehensive (fire/theft/vandalism) but no collision $1209.

Liability coverage only $1013.

Clean record

yeah those numbers might seem great, but they might be VERY different for you.
Youngins round here getting quoted 5k for 600s. WITH experience

strongly suggest getting 4 or 5 quotes before you even THINK about those bikes

dude ain't asking about insurance

it's a 20k bike,,,,R1 anyway, Honda prolly the same
with low km like you want and not dropped

can't see much difference in market value between one with 5km over 15km
would estimate 30 percent depreciation
so around 14-15 k value

Well insurance wise, I already called everywhere, and I mean *everywhere*. Allstate gave me an affordable quote, every other insurer pretty much told me to bend ova.

I'll definitely run the VIN by insurance before purchasing anything.

But insurance aside, I just want to know what you guys think is a fair price for these used bikes from buyer perspective, especially given the demand has dropped.

dude ain't asking about insurance

it's a 20k bike,,,,R1 anyway, Honda prolly the same
with low km like you want and not dropped

can't see much difference in market value between one with 5km over 15km
would estimate 30 percent depreciation
so around 14-15 k value
I'm able to find much cheaper than that on Kijiji. Around 10-11k. Maybe because riding season hasn't started yet, or maybe because no one's buying these in the GTA given insurance premiums on these. I see SS bikes listed for months and still don't sell.

I came across a great deal, but my renewal isn't till June. Any idea if it's possible to purchase a used vehicle (transfer ownership) without insurance and plate it later? Of course I won't be riding it till I plate it, come renewal time.

Planing to call Service Ontario tomorrow to confirm the same. Couldn't find any info online on their website.

Last edited:
yeah those numbers might seem great, but they might be VERY different for you.
Youngins round here getting quoted 5k for 600s. WITH experience

strongly suggest getting 4 or 5 quotes before you even THINK about those bikes

Most 600s can reach 100km or more in just first gear. I'm not surprised.

Last edited:
I'm able to find much cheaper than that on Kijiji. Around 10-11k. Maybe because riding season hasn't started yet, or maybe because no one's buying these in the GTA given insurance premiums on these. I see SS bikes listed for months and still don't sell.

I came across a great deal, but my renewal isn't till June. Any idea if it's possible to purchase a used vehicle (transfer ownership) without insurance and plate it later? Of course I won't be riding it till I plate it, come renewal time.

Planing to call Service Ontario tomorrow to confirm the same. Couldn't find any info online on their website.

a 4 year old R1 with 5-15,000km in good shape for 10K, really?

and sure, you can change ownership to your name without a plate, safety or insurance
it's wanting to put a plate on it, that makes you have to get the other things

a 4 year old R1 with 5-15,000km in good shape for 10K, really?

and sure, you can change ownership to your name without a plate, safety or insurance
it's wanting to put a plate on it, that makes you have to get the other things
Thanks! Yup 10k. Pretty sure it's because no one's buying these anymore, because of insurance.

If you want to know what they are worth, look at the used market. cycletrader.com is a broad indicator (although in the US), but generally on par. Autotrader is a good step, although most of the listings tend to be dealers, which you always pay a bit of a premium for. Private sale you are always going to do better. As far as dealers GPBikes is usually good to deal with and one of the more reasonably priced dealers (trying to say that with a straight face).

The question is a bit loaded, the 2014 is the "old style" CBR, although the latest model shares a lot of parts all the way back to 08 (and even some parts before that). On the plus side there are literally piles of parts. You can pick up performance extras such as steering dampers, spare wheels, cartidge kits, shocks, etc. for a real bargin, if you're into that sort of thing. Most won't have 5k on the ODO for a 3.5 year old bike, I'd actually worry if they do. A bike does need to run a bit. 15-20k would be a better target mileage. In excellent shape, with maybe a pipe and one or two other mods, $7.5-$8.5k

The R1 is a little different, the 14 was the old generation, so it would run about the same. the '15+ R1's are new gen, you'll pay a fair bit more for those. If you are just buzzing around on the street and don't need the creme de la creme, the old R1's are still pretty nice and sound great.

If you want to know what they are worth, look at the used market. cycletrader.com is a broad indicator (although in the US), but generally on par. Autotrader is a good step, although most of the listings tend to be dealers, which you always pay a bit of a premium for. Private sale you are always going to do better. As far as dealers GPBikes is usually good to deal with and one of the more reasonably priced dealers (trying to say that with a straight face).

The question is a bit loaded, the 2014 is the "old style" CBR, although the latest model shares a lot of parts all the way back to 08 (and even some parts before that). On the plus side there are literally piles of parts. You can pick up performance extras such as steering dampers, spare wheels, cartidge kits, shocks, etc. for a real bargin, if you're into that sort of thing. Most won't have 5k on the ODO for a 3.5 year old bike, I'd actually worry if they do. A bike does need to run a bit. 15-20k would be a better target mileage. In excellent shape, with maybe a pipe and one or two other mods, $7.5-$8.5k

The R1 is a little different, the 14 was the old generation, so it would run about the same. the '15+ R1's are new gen, you'll pay a fair bit more for those. If you are just buzzing around on the street and don't need the creme de la creme, the old R1's are still pretty nice and sound great.
Thank you for the detailed response! Definitely staying away from dealers for now, looking for private deals only. I did check out auto-trader, and you're right it does have mostly dealer posts. I'm honestly ok with riding older gens. Don't want to pay a premium for the newer models.

Heard good things about GPbikes as well. Presently, they don't have much pre-owned SS inventory.

For the R1, my personal favourite is the 2009 model with an underseat Toce quad exhaust. I'm new to the modding game, only because I don't own the bike I want yet. Hopefully soon ...

Will post back here on how it goes and if I do end up purchasing one this season. Appreciate the help guys!

Thank you for the detailed response! Definitely staying away from dealers for now, looking for private deals only. I did check out auto-trader, and you're right it does have mostly dealer posts. I'm honestly ok with riding older gens. Don't want to pay a premium for the newer models.

Heard good things about GPbikes as well. Presently, they don't have much pre-owned SS inventory.

For the R1, my personal favourite is the 2009 model with an underseat Toce quad exhaust. I'm new to the modding game, only because I don't own the bike I want yet. Hopefully soon ...

Will post back here on how it goes and if I do end up purchasing one this season. Appreciate the help guys!

Just curious why you would want to street one of those over a mt10 or cb1000r?

Just curious why you would want to street one of those over a mt10 or cb1000r?
Don't have a good answer to that lol, other than always wanted one ever since I was a kid. Want to get the fad done with while I'm still (relatively) young and my back is holding good. Will keep it for a few years and then get something else, atleast that's the plan.

A good looking low-KMs 2013 Repsol for $11.8K:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CB...les_atvs&ursrc=pl&urp=2&urm=5&showcpo=ShowCPO

I wouldn't expect to find a MY like this for much less.

An '09 with half the KMs for less than $10K

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CB...motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=3_15_10

Yup, saw these. Definitely good deals, but through a dealer. For now, I'm more focused on private deals because those can be had for slightly cheaper.

Less hassle going through a dealer though. Not to mention, I could trade-in my current motorcycle rather than finding a buyer for it.

Don't have a good answer to that lol, other than always wanted one ever since I was a kid. Want to get the fad done with while I'm still (relatively) young and my back is holding good. Will keep it for a few years and then get something else, atleast that's the plan.

Fair enough :cool: Have you considered any of the big boys that look more super sport? I dare say a Tuono 1100 V4 RR/Factory would put a smile on your face and there's a fair bit of plastic on it. Alternatively maybe the BMW S1000r.

You would get *almost* all the looks, better seating, insurance, pricing and street performance.

Fair enough :cool: Have you considered any of the big boys that look more super sport? I dare say a Tuono 1100 V4 RR/Factory would put a smile on your face and there's a fair bit of plastic on it. Alternatively maybe the BMW S1000r.

You would get *almost* all the looks, better seating, insurance, pricing and street performance.

Thanks! Nope, hadn't though about those. I was sticking to the basics - Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha, just because they're easier to find and cheaper.

Going to avoid BMW for now, because affordability is a concern for me at this point.

Tuono does look gorgeous. Adding that to my list.

Not necessarily, i sat on the tuono recently, felt more sporty than naked, pegs higher up, more committed leaned in position

Thanks! Nope, hadn't though about those. I was sticking to the basics - Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha, just because they're easier to find and cheaper.

Going to avoid BMW for now, because affordability is a concern for me at this point.

Tuono does look gorgeous. Adding that to my list.

I think you could find a '15 S1000r around the 12k mark without too much trouble.

Im jelly, those are the dream bikes for me :)

Not necessarily, i sat on the tuono recently, felt more sporty than naked, pegs higher up, more committed leaned in position

True, but all the weight is still off your wrists and your head isnt buried behind the screen.

Back
Top Bottom